lock a drive and folders

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

alikhan

lock a drive and folders

hi
i have some private data in my pc
and my cosins r visiting us in few days
i dont want to show my private data to them
can i lock my drive or folders by cmd or some other method?
thanks.

--
alikhan
vanilla

Re: lock a drive and folders
Don't know if this will work or not ... just a thought that occurred to me
.... if you have hidden folders set to show, go back and, temporarily, set
them to be hidden again. You didn't say which OS you are running ... so
don't know if you can even get to these settings. In Vista, go to Control
Panel --> Folder Options --> View tab.

Then, whichever folders you don't want to exist during the visit, right
click the folders, go to properties, then checkmark the hidden attribute
(down near the bottom of the general tab.) You could create a special folder
for this trick and move all your sensitive stuff to the new folder. Then
just hide that one.

After they are gone, go back to Folder Options and mark hidden stuff to show
again. Have no idea if this will work ... just a thought ... vanilla

"alikhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi
> i have some private data in my pc
> and my cosins r visiting us in few days
> i dont want to show my private data to them
> can i lock my drive or folders by cmd or some other method?
> thanks.
>

> --
> alikhan

alikhan

Re: lock a drive and folders

hmmm.......
but i wana lock it
seemz that admins can help me i'm waiting

--
alikhan
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: lock a drive and folders

> hmmm.......
> but i wana lock it
> seemz that admins can help me i'm waiting

Here, let me Google that for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+lock+a+f...+windows+vista

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

FromTheRafters

Re: lock a drive and folders
"alikhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi
> i have some private data in my pc
> and my cosins r visiting us in few days
> i dont want to show my private data to them
> can i lock my drive or folders by cmd or some other method?

Probably.

Ask a better question, maybe a better answer will come.

Will setting a password in the CMOS setup program suffice?
Do you want them to be able to use the computer?
Do you have more than one account on your computer, or are you running
only as (protected) administrator all the time?
Will creating a limited account (4 ur cosins) suffice?
Are you actually using Vista, or did you just stumble into this group?

panais

Re: lock a drive and folders

alikhan;1105904 Wrote:
> hi
> i have some private data in my pc
> and my cosins r visiting us in few days
> i dont want to show my private data to them
> can i lock my drive or folders by cmd or some other method?
> thanks.

Check this site,i believe you will find what are you looking for.
'Folder. Lock Freeware: ABC Lock, Free Folder Hider, Folder Access
Restrictor, Hide Folder HiBit, ...'
(http://www.softplatz.com/freeware/folder-lock/)
Please post back.

--
panais
Bruce Chambers

Re: lock a drive and folders
alikhan wrote:
> hi
> i have some private data in my pc
> and my cosins r visiting us in few days
> i dont want to show my private data to them
> can i lock my drive or folders by cmd or some other method?
> thanks.

Although these articles refer to WinXP, the same principles apply:

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

The simplest method, of course, you be to simply deny your cousins
access to your computer, entirely.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
alikhan

Re: lock a drive and folders

this will gona help me

Will setting a password in the CMOS setup program suffice?

--
alikhan
Bill Daggett

Re: lock a drive and folders
alikhan <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>this will gona help me
>

>Will setting a password in the CMOS setup program suffice?

It will, if you don't want them even to be able to use your computer.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you write the password down!
Jim

Re: lock a drive and folders
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:06:47 -0500, alikhan <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>this will gona help me
>

>Will setting a password in the CMOS setup program suffice?

External usb drive , copy and send files to it . If ok , delete
original files .