Windows Defender Icon Not Appearing In System Tray

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

RainSong

Windows Defender Icon Not Appearing In System Tray
Hi.

Yes, I have selected the 'Always' button for the Windows Defender icon to
appear in the notification area. )

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Internet Browser: IE8.0.6001.18783
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0
Engine Version: 1.1.4803.0
Definition Version: 1.61.1700.0
Internet Security Suite: ZoneAlarm 8.0.400.020

This icon actually disappeared a long time ago and I'm only now doing
something about it. I think Windows Defender actually initiates and runs in
the background upon boot-up (I could be wrong here) but the icon doesn't
appear in the system tray and MSASCui.exe doesn't appear in the processes tab
unless I manually start Windows Defender after each reboot.

All assistance in getting the Windows Defender icon to always appear in the
system tray after each reboot will be greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance.

--
RainSong
Badger

Re: Windows Defender Icon Not Appearing In System Tray
Go to Windows Security Center and check Malware Protection to see if it is
running.
The defender Icon doesn't usually show up in the system tray start menu
since it runs in the background.

"RainSong" <RainSong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Yes, I have selected the 'Always' button for the Windows Defender icon to
> appear in the notification area. )
>
> OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
> Internet Browser: IE8.0.6001.18783
> Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0
> Engine Version: 1.1.4803.0
> Definition Version: 1.61.1700.0
> Internet Security Suite: ZoneAlarm 8.0.400.020
>
> This icon actually disappeared a long time ago and I'm only now doing
> something about it. I think Windows Defender actually initiates and runs
> in
> the background upon boot-up (I could be wrong here) but the icon doesn't
> appear in the system tray and MSASCui.exe doesn't appear in the processes
> tab
> unless I manually start Windows Defender after each reboot.
>
> All assistance in getting the Windows Defender icon to always appear in
> the
> system tray after each reboot will be greatly appreciated.
>
> My thanks in advance.
>

> --
> RainSong

RainSong

Re: Windows Defender Icon Not Appearing In System Tray
Hi Badger.

Thanks for your input.

Windows Security Centre reports that Windows Defender is running and up to
date.

Cheers,
--
RainSong

"Badger" wrote:

> Go to Windows Security Center and check Malware Protection to see if it is
> running.
> The defender Icon doesn't usually show up in the system tray start menu
> since it runs in the background.
>
> "RainSong" <RainSong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > Yes, I have selected the 'Always' button for the Windows Defender icon to
> > appear in the notification area. )
> >
> > OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
> > Internet Browser: IE8.0.6001.18783
> > Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0
> > Engine Version: 1.1.4803.0
> > Definition Version: 1.61.1700.0
> > Internet Security Suite: ZoneAlarm 8.0.400.020
> >
> > This icon actually disappeared a long time ago and I'm only now doing
> > something about it. I think Windows Defender actually initiates and runs
> > in
> > the background upon boot-up (I could be wrong here) but the icon doesn't
> > appear in the system tray and MSASCui.exe doesn't appear in the processes
> > tab
> > unless I manually start Windows Defender after each reboot.
> >
> > All assistance in getting the Windows Defender icon to always appear in
> > the
> > system tray after each reboot will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > My thanks in advance.
> >

> > --
> > RainSong

clarcknt2

RainSong;1093471 Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Yes, I have selected the 'Always' button for the Windows Defender icon
> appear in the notification area. )
>
> OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
> Internet Browser: IE8.0.6001.18783
> Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0
> Engine Version: 1.1.4803.0
> Definition Version: 1.61.1700.0
> Internet Security Suite: ZoneAlarm 8.0.400.020
>
> This icon actually disappeared a long time ago and I'm only now doing
> something about it. I think Windows Defender actually initiates and
> runs in
> the background upon boot-up (I could be wrong here) but the icon
> doesn't
> appear in the system tray and MSASCui.exe doesn't appear in the
> processes tab
> unless I manually start Windows Defender after each reboot.
>
> All assistance in getting the Windows Defender icon to always appear in
> the
> system tray after each reboot will be greatly appreciated.
>
> My thanks in advance.
>

> --
> RainSong

Hi. I was messing around with MSCONFIG trying to figure out why my
computer boots up slow. After I had no luck, I set it for normal start
up and rebooted my computer. Suddenly, there was no windows defender
icon in the notification area. It seems to be still running in the
background, and the setting is still set to always. I added the windows
defender icon to my quick start menu. When I bring it up the icon
reappears in the notification area. I wish I could get it fixed right.
Somebody Help! clarcknt2

--
clarcknt2