User Account Control

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

George Frank

User Account Control
When I boot up, the UAC box asks for permission to run my netgear wireless
adapter. I say continue and everything is fine. It is somewhat annoying
though. Can I have this program run without it asking for permission?
Someone mentioned to right click the .exe file and click run as
administrator might work, but I'm afraid I might make things even worse.
Like I said everything works just a minor inconvenience.

--
gfrank26@comcast.net

Rock

Re: User Account Control
"George Frank" <gfrank26@comcast.net> wrote
> When I boot up, the UAC box asks for permission to run my netgear wireless
> adapter. I say continue and everything is fine. It is somewhat annoying
> though. Can I have this program run without it asking for permission?
> Someone mentioned to right click the .exe file and click run as
> administrator might work, but I'm afraid I might make things even worse.
> Like I said everything works just a minor inconvenience.

Run as administrator will force the UAC dialog, not stop it. Only do that
if the program needs to run as administrator, and Vista doesn't recognize
that, so it doesn't run unless Run as Admistrator is selected.

One workaround is to set it up as a Scheduled Task
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jesper

Re: User Account Control
Is this a little baloon in the system tray? That happens because you have
something in your startup items that wants to elevate. UAC in combination
with Windows Defender blocks that. Take whatever it is out of the startup
grop and the baloon will go away.

To modify it, the easiest way is to click the flag, type msconfig.exe in the
search dialog and hit enter. You will see all the auto-start items in the
startup tab. Uncheck the one you want and reboot. You will get the flag one
more time, this time for msconfig, which warns you that you customized your
system. Select to run it from the baloon popup and then check the dialog box
to stop warning you and the warnings go away.
---