Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Michael Haskell

Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings
Running a Vista 32 bit Business Edition machine with SP1. Machine is brand
new so I doubt at virus is the cause of the issue. OneCare is not installed
on the PC. When I go into the Control Panel -> Windows Firewall (which shows
that the firewall is on) click on Change Settings and the following error
message appear
"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
settings."
There are not group policy in affect on the domain, currently have 12 other
Vista machines that are not having the problem. I've multiple time rebooted,
uninstalled McAfee. Still I'm unable to get into the firewall.
Kayman

Re: Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:49:01 -0800, Michael Haskell wrote:

> Running a Vista 32 bit Business Edition machine with SP1. Machine is brand
> new so I doubt at virus is the cause of the issue.

"A very useful application for any *new* pc is the PC Decrapifier, it
attempts to remove all of the crap on your PC that you never asked for
or..."
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/removes

> OneCare is not installed on the PC.

Good!

> When I go into the Control Panel -> Windows Firewall (which shows
> that the firewall is on) click on Change Settings and the following error
> message appear
> "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
> settings."
> There are not group policy in affect on the domain, currently have 12 other
> Vista machines that are not having the problem. I've multiple time rebooted,
> uninstalled McAfee. Still I'm unable to get into the firewall.

You may not have removed McAfee completely. Did you use the propriety
uninstall tool?
McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool three-step fix
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS100507
Direct:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Good luck
Michael Haskell

Re: Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings
I discovered something else after posting this message. If I attempt to
access the Firewall when the network connection is Domain profile I get there
error. If I'm not connected to the domain or the profile is private or
public I do not get there error and can open firewall in the control panel.
We use the McAfee Epo product which contains an agent. If the firewall is
on during the install it can not add an exceptions to the firewall to allow
the agent to communicate. The GP for the workstations contains Domain GP
settings to allow the agent to communicate with the EPo server. But we
aren't seeing that the Vista machine is see the exception we've added. Doing
a gpresults show that the standard workstation policy is being applied but
the firewall settings are not visable in the control panel.
Think this maybe more for a GP issue.