Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Neil Jones

Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
Windows Vista without hurting the system.

Thank you in advance.

NJ
rajkiranpro

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
The need for installing two antivirus is quiet weird but anyways here is a
possible solution

install the antivirus that u want to be secondary first.

after installation is complete u can disable the antivirus..

This may be based on the antivirus u use like configuration options or
settings or manually deleting the startup entries and disabling the
services.

after doing it install the primary antivirus.

please do remember that u may have installation issues while installing the
antivirus.

not all antivirus products are compatible with other antivirus

Regards
Rajkiran

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> Windows Vista without hurting the system.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ

Rick Rogers

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
Hi Neil,

Works fine as long as you only have one using active scanning. Two things to
keep in mind: 1) When scanning with the other, disable active scanning on
the first to avoid conflicts. 2) Be aware that one may identify components
of the other as a potential virus, so know what processes and files are used
by each.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> Windows Vista without hurting the system.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ

illjilli

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
you can use a scanner like clamAV portable that doesn't need installation
and does not have a resident shield and is free

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> Windows Vista without hurting the system.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ

Kayman

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:22:03 -0500, Neil Jones wrote:

> What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> Windows Vista without hurting the system.

Use one (1) only 'real-time' Anti-Virus (AV) application on your operating
system.
You can have as many 'on-demand' AV applications as you like.

E.G.:
Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
--or--
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
--or--
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
--or--
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser

are 'real-time' AV applications. You would have to choose only one (1).

On-demand AV applications:
(add them to your arsenal and use them as a "second opinion" AV scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
and/or
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and/or--
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© are not capable for real-time protection of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system.
Re: K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The same credo applies to Anti-Spyware (A-S) applications.

Eric Tiberius Duckman

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:22:03 -0500, Neil Jones
<castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
>other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
>application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
>current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
>Windows Vista without hurting the system.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>NJ

You can download an iso of Kaspersky resue cd here:
http://ftp.kaspersky.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/
It is apparently free, as they don't ask for login.
Of course, a cd won't have the most up to date virus database.
--
"...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:22:03 -0500, Neil Jones
<castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> Windows Vista without hurting the system.

You've gotten answers to question from others, but I just wanted to
recommend that instead of using two virus scanners, you get and use
just one--the best one available, which in my view is NOD32.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Leythos

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
In article <ea9gi4tr9ode45slutkcelb0a9c3d0bqeq@4ax.com>,
kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain says...
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:22:03 -0500, Neil Jones
> <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
> > I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
> > other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
> > application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
> > current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
> > Windows Vista without hurting the system.

> You've gotten answers to question from others, but I just wanted to
> recommend that instead of using two virus scanners, you get and use
> just one--the best one available, which in my view is NOD32.

And yet we've all proven, time and time again, that no single AV product
protects you from everything.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Root Kit

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:54:28 -0500, Leythos <spam999free@rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <ea9gi4tr9ode45slutkcelb0a9c3d0bqeq@4ax.com>,
>kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain says...
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:22:03 -0500, Neil Jones
>> <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What is the best way to use 2 or more virus scanners on the same system?
>> > I want one of AV scaaners to be the primary AV scanner (resident). The
>> > other AV scanners I would like to use them from a bootable CD or as an
>> > application and execute on-demand only. Some scanners seem to be more
>> > current than others. So I would like to know if anyone has done this on
>> > Windows Vista without hurting the system.

>> You've gotten answers to question from others, but I just wanted to
>> recommend that instead of using two virus scanners, you get and use
>> just one--the best one available, which in my view is NOD32.

>And yet we've all proven, time and time again, that no single AV product
>protects you from everything.

And yet we've all proven, time and time again, that AV products really
don't provide solid protection against anything.
Leythos

Re: Using multiple virus scanners on the same system?
In article <2odgi4p9rj3f0l1m68rrldl5t17c8adt24@4ax.com>,
b__nice@hotmail.com says...
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:54:28 -0500, Leythos <spam999free@rrohio.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <ea9gi4tr9ode45slutkcelb0a9c3d0bqeq@4ax.com>,
> >kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain says...

> >> You've gotten answers to question from others, but I just wanted to
> >> recommend that instead of using two virus scanners, you get and use
> >> just one--the best one available, which in my view is NOD32.

> >And yet we've all proven, time and time again, that no single AV product
> >protects you from everything.

> And yet we've all proven, time and time again, that AV products really
> don't provide solid protection against anything.

Yep, they are just one part of many parts.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"