Backup strategies??

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Neil Jones

Backup strategies??
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ
Andre Da Costa

Re: Backup strategies??
That's the default behavior, unless you choose to changes your computer name
every time you do a Complete PC Backup, you would be able to have multiple
Complete PC Backups of your computer.
--
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> NJ

FromTheRafters

Re: Backup strategies??

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?

You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk space.

Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
times.

Neil Jones

Re: Backup strategies??
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
>> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
>> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
>> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>>
>> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
>> space?

> You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk space.
>
> Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
> times.

How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.

PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
backups during the disk cleanup process.

Thank you again.

NJ
Richie Hardwick

Re: Backup strategies??
Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

>How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>
>PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>backups during the disk cleanup process.

If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.

Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.

If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.

Richie Hardwick
Andre Da Costa

Re: Backup strategies??
Vista's Complete PC Backup automatically does the removal of the oldest
backups.
--

> FromTheRafters wrote:
>> "Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
>>> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
>>> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
>>> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>>>
>>> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
>>> space?

>> You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk
>> space.
>>
>> Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
>> times.
>>

> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>
> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
> backups during the disk cleanup process.
>
> Thank you again.
>
> NJ

Neil Jones

Re: Backup strategies??
Richie Hardwick wrote:
> Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>>
>> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>> backups during the disk cleanup process.

> If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.
>
> Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
> oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.
>
> If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.

The Vista backup software seems to be ok. What other backup software is
there to create a complete backup of the system?

NJ
Neil Jones

Re: Backup strategies??
Andre Da Costa wrote:
> Vista's Complete PC Backup automatically does the removal of the oldest
> backups.

Thank you for clarifying this. It makes sense now, why I could only see
one image when I was trying to restore the system.

NJ
Leythos

Re: Backup strategies??
In article <GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad>, castellan2004-
nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com says...
> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

Create 3 separate backup jobs, each one should be set to OVERWRITE the
file name it creates.

So,

BU Job 1 writes to MONDAY.BKF
BU Job 2 writes to WEDNESDAY.BKF
BU Job 3 writes to FRIDAY.BKF

Since you set the jobs to overwrite, they will only maintain 3 jobs.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Richie Hardwick

Re: Backup strategies??
Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Richie Hardwick wrote:
>> Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>>> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>>>
>>> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>>> backups during the disk cleanup process.

>> If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.
>>
>> Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
>> oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.
>>
>> If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.
>>

>The Vista backup software seems to be ok. What other backup software is
>there to create a complete backup of the system?

Acronis True Image is the most mentioned product. I've used it for
years, now.

Richie Hardwick