Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode
[Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup]

> ...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my
> Symantic installation caught it).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

lwallers wrote:
> The setting... I am an individual user who rents office space in a
> building
> with multiple users. We are all connected to Time Warner in the phone
> closet. My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> In IE7, Internet Options, Security tab, I have enabled Protected Mode for
> all four zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted
> Sites) and restarted the computer but STILL Protected Mode remains Off.
>
> Windows Firewall is on and set in the default configuration... it seems
> happy. Symantec Antivirus is installed on my computer.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out how to turn On my Protected Mode? I'm
> feeling
> very vulnerable and in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe
> my
> Symantic installation caught it).
>
> Thanks very much in advance!

Mick Murphy

Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode
Open IE7>Tools>Internet options>Advanced>Restore Advanced settings.

Or click on Tools in right-hand upper right of IE7> run your cursor over
Phishing Filter>Click on Phishing filter Settings > that takes you back into
the Advanced Settings of Internet Options>Scroll down, and you will, or
should, find it correctly set .to "Turn on Automatic Website checking".
--
Mad Mike

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup]
>
> > ...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my
> > Symantic installation caught it).

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> lwallers wrote:
> > The setting... I am an individual user who rents office space in a
> > building
> > with multiple users. We are all connected to Time Warner in the phone
> > closet. My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > In IE7, Internet Options, Security tab, I have enabled Protected Mode for
> > all four zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted
> > Sites) and restarted the computer but STILL Protected Mode remains Off.
> >
> > Windows Firewall is on and set in the default configuration... it seems
> > happy. Symantec Antivirus is installed on my computer.
> >
> > Can anyone help me figure out how to turn On my Protected Mode? I'm
> > feeling
> > very vulnerable and in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe
> > my
> > Symantic installation caught it).
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance!

Mick Murphy

Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode
Just to put your mind at rest, follow info below, and scan your computer with
these 2 Programs below, as well as your AV, while in Safe Mode.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
Download.com, or Major Geeks.com

Download, install, and update.

Important re: Safe Mode
If you happen to find a problem that you can’t uninstall / delete, reboot
the computer, and go into Safe Mode.
To get into Safe mode, tap F8 right at Power On / Startup, and use UP arrow
key to get to Safe Mode from list of options, then hit ENTER.
RESCAN your computer with your Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D
while in Safe Mode

--
Mad Mike

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup]
>
> > ...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my
> > Symantic installation caught it).

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> lwallers wrote:
> > The setting... I am an individual user who rents office space in a
> > building
> > with multiple users. We are all connected to Time Warner in the phone
> > closet. My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > In IE7, Internet Options, Security tab, I have enabled Protected Mode for
> > all four zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted
> > Sites) and restarted the computer but STILL Protected Mode remains Off.
> >
> > Windows Firewall is on and set in the default configuration... it seems
> > happy. Symantec Antivirus is installed on my computer.
> >
> > Can anyone help me figure out how to turn On my Protected Mode? I'm
> > feeling
> > very vulnerable and in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe
> > my
> > Symantic installation caught it).
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance!

Alun Jones

Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode
Silly question - did you try turning UAC on?

Protected Mode will not work if UAC is turned off.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

> [Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup]
>
>> ...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my
>> Symantic installation caught it).

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> lwallers wrote:
>> The setting... I am an individual user who rents office space in a
>> building
>> with multiple users. We are all connected to Time Warner in the phone
>> closet. My operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> In IE7, Internet Options, Security tab, I have enabled Protected Mode for
>> all four zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted
>> Sites) and restarted the computer but STILL Protected Mode remains Off.
>>
>> Windows Firewall is on and set in the default configuration... it seems
>> happy. Symantec Antivirus is installed on my computer.
>>
>> Can anyone help me figure out how to turn On my Protected Mode? I'm
>> feeling
>> very vulnerable and in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe
>> my
>> Symantic installation caught it).
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance!

alienfan002@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't Turn On Protected Mode
Just an FYI, I tried out this advice since I had the same issue, but it didn't fix it. Good tips though! I'll keep them in mind for future problems. In the end it was something really simple. I had the User Account Control turned off in security. As soon as I turned it back on, the Internet Protected Mode came back on.

Steps: Control Panel (Classic view) > Security > Other Security Settings > User Account Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
[Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup]

> ...in fact, I think a virus did get in (though I believe my
> Symantic installation caught it).

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
The Parasite Fight
The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol
AumHa Forums &bull; View topic - HOW TO: Run a Full System Anti-Virus Scan in Safe Mode
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
Prevent Browser Hijackings
Troubleshooting browser hijackings
Prevent Spyware from being installed
Defending Your Machine 2
page2

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
Post Your TrendMicro HiJackThis Log Here ...,
Malware Removal - Safer Networking Forums,
AumHa Forums &bull; View forum - Malware Removal (virus; trojan; hijackware; etc.), or another appropriate forum for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin AumHa Forums
DTS-L Microsoft MVPs Desktop Systems dts-l* mail list