Windows Security & Norton

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

T.

Windows Security & Norton
I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows Security is telling me
that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it running on the desktop. What
info can you give me on how to fix the problem??
locoeng

Re: Windows Security & Norton

T.;886740 Wrote:
> I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows Security is
> telling me
> that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it running on the desktop.
> What
> info can you give me on how to fix the problem??

Have you set Windown Security settings to monitor your A/V your self?

--
locoeng
Kayman

Re: Windows Security & Norton
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:08:01 -0800, T. wrote:

> I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows Security is telling me
> that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it running on the desktop. What
> info can you give me on how to fix the problem??

If you want to stick with this software than you should contact Norton's
customer service directly.
Richard Urban

Re: Windows Security & Norton
For true Windows security remove anything Norton from your computer. There
are many better security applications, and they don't mess with the
operating system essentials as Norton does.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"T." <T. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows Security is telling
>me
> that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it running on the desktop.
> What
> info can you give me on how to fix the problem??

Richie Hardwick

Re: Windows Security & Norton
"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For true Windows security remove anything Norton from your computer. There
>are many better security applications, and they don't mess with the
>operating system essentials as Norton does.

You apparently are unaware of Norton 2009.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/no...ance-20080911/

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-sec...ag=api&subj=re

Richie Hardwick
Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Security & Norton
I am and I echo Richards comment on Norton

--
Peter

"Richie Hardwick" <richiehardwick@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:3toth4dultm8p19rkvjbqs6as8rmgcls1f@4ax.com...
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>For true Windows security remove anything Norton from your computer. There
>>are many better security applications, and they don't mess with the
>>operating system essentials as Norton does.

> You apparently are unaware of Norton 2009.
>
> http://www.geek.com/articles/news/no...ance-20080911/
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-sec...ag=api&subj=re
>

> Richie Hardwick

Snidley W.

Re: Windows Security & Norton
"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am and I echo Richards comment on Norton

Yeah, but I already know that you're a moron.
Richard Urban

Re: Windows Security & Norton
I am aware of it. I downloaded the 30 day trial and tried it for about 20
days. I then went back to an image that I created prior to testing it.

Does it install fast? Yes!
Is it less of a load on a system? Yes!

But it did not catch things that my small combination of individual security
programs caught - specifically a drive by download that I know exists on a
certain web page.

Sorry Norton but you have to do better.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Richie Hardwick" <richiehardwick@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>For true Windows security remove anything Norton from your computer. There
>>are many better security applications, and they don't mess with the
>>operating system essentials as Norton does.

> You apparently are unaware of Norton 2009.
>
> http://www.geek.com/articles/news/no...ance-20080911/
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-sec...ag=api&subj=re
>

> Richie Hardwick

Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Security & Norton
Found the same with 2009. My test using it on a known infected drive with 2 infectors it did not flag either. AVG and Nod32 both did. Trend and MacAfee also failed

--
Peter

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uyRZAr2RJHA.5408@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I am aware of it. I downloaded the 30 day trial and tried it for about 20
> days. I then went back to an image that I created prior to testing it.
>
> Does it install fast? Yes!
> Is it less of a load on a system? Yes!
>
> But it did not catch things that my small combination of individual security
> programs caught - specifically a drive by download that I know exists on a
> certain web page.
>
> Sorry Norton but you have to do better.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "Richie Hardwick" <richiehardwick@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>For true Windows security remove anything Norton from your computer. There
>>>are many better security applications, and they don't mess with the
>>>operating system essentials as Norton does.

>> You apparently are unaware of Norton 2009.
>>
>> http://www.geek.com/articles/news/no...ance-20080911/
>>
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-sec...ag=api&subj=re
>>

>> Richie Hardwick

Charlie42

Re: Windows Security & Norton
"T." <T. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am running Windows Security and Norton 360. Windows
> Security is telling me that Norton 360 is not running, but I have it
> running on the desktop. What info can you give me on how to fix
> the problem??

To answer your question (although i fully agree with Urban):

This problem can occur with any security software. You should try to salvage
your repository, or if that does not work; rebuild it.

All of these commands are typed in manually at a command prompt (Accessories
menu). Run as administrator.

Salvage:
winmgmt /verifyrepository

If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run the following command:
winmgmt /salvagerepository

Forced rebuild:
net stop winmgmt /y
cd %windir%\system32\wbem\