Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

BitLocker - how to change startup key?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2008
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
groffg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BitLocker - how to change startup key?
I have a machine w/ TPM-less BitLocker. I'd like to change the startup key (stored on USB, of course) to something else. I thought disabling (but not decrypting) BitLocker & then re-enabling it would do the trick. Alas, that does not work. Re-enabling BitLocker just produces the same startup key.

Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve decrypting & then re-encrypting the drive? Seems like such a common task (like doing a "change password"), but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the GUI or using the manage-bde.wsf script.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2008
VistaGuy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: BitLocker - how to change startup key?
You have to recreate the startup key for BitLocker. Assuming you encrypted
the C-drive, these two commands should do the job:
manage-bde -protectors -delete C: -Type ExternalKey
manage-bde -protectors -add C: -StartupKey <USBDrive>:

Regards,

Ray
Author of Vista for XP Professionals (www.vistaforxpprofessionals.com)


"groffg" <groffg.3ivy4h@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:groffg.3ivy4h@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> I have a machine w/ TPM-less BitLocker. I'd like to change the startup
> key (stored on USB, of course) to something else. I thought disabling
> (but not decrypting) BitLocker & then re-enabling it would do the trick.
> Alas, that does not work. Re-enabling BitLocker just produces the same
> startup key.
>
> Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve decrypting & then
> re-encrypting the drive? Seems like such a common task (like doing a
> "change password"), but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the GUI or
> using the manage-bde.wsf script.
>
>
> --
> groffg
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2008
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
groffg is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: BitLocker - how to change startup key?
Great info! I look forward to trying that out. Much appreciated.



Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaGuy View Post
You have to recreate the startup key for BitLocker. Assuming you encrypted
the C-drive, these two commands should do the job:
manage-bde -protectors -delete C: -Type ExternalKey
manage-bde -protectors -add C: -StartupKey <USBDrive>:

Regards,

Ray
Author of Vista for XP Professionals (vistaforxpprofessionals.com)


"groffg" <groffg.3ivy4h@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:groffg.3ivy4h@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> I have a machine w/ TPM-less BitLocker. I'd like to change the startup
> key (stored on USB, of course) to something else. I thought disabling
> (but not decrypting) BitLocker & then re-enabling it would do the trick.
> Alas, that does not work. Re-enabling BitLocker just produces the same
> startup key.
>
> Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve decrypting & then
> re-encrypting the drive? Seems like such a common task (like doing a
> "change password"), but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the GUI or
> using the manage-bde.wsf script.
>
>
> --
> groffg
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BitLocker: How to change drive letter S: Robinio microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 08-11-2008 18:08
Change/delete system partition after BitLocker removal robinio microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 07-30-2008 18:38
Move Bitlocker Startup Key Colin Lambert microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 09-01-2007 13:43
Bitlocker - the policy for startup options is inconsistent Mr.B microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 08-06-2007 11:40
BitLocker - Remove USB Key on startup??!?!!? HELP! This is so annoying..... microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 5 04-26-2007 15:49




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120