Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

spat61

Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium

Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks

--
spat61
mansrm81

Re: Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium

If you don't want to spend $ go with windows built in firewall.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep . Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]
Victek

"spat61" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks
>

> --

I believe the free Comodo firewall supports 64 bit.

www.comodo.com

Dastardly Dan

Re: Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium
"spat61" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks
>

> --
> spat61

If you have a router with SPI then you only need the one that comes with
Vista. Vista advanced firewall settings has outbound protection too but last
time I tried messing around with that it blocked Vista's own Windows update
software. Brilliant move by Microsoft. :-/

Vic

Re: Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium
I run free Comodo firewall on 64 bit with on problem if you don't want to
use the Vista one

Vic

I believe the free Comodo firewall supports 64 bit

"spat61" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks
>

> --
> spat61

Kayman

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:46:08 -0600, spat61 wrote:

> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks

Read in its entirety!
Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc510323.aspx
Ken Blake

Re: Firewall for x64 Vista Home Premium
"spat61" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks

Two points:

1. In my view. the Norton security software is the worst available and
McAfee is second worst. I strongly recommend staying away from everything
either makes.

2. The built-in Vista firewall is fine.

Bruce Chambers

spat61 wrote:
> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks

Vista's built-in firewall is perfectly adequate for most people.
While it's not quite up to the ease-of-use standards of Kerio or
ZoneAlarm, it has been noticeably improved over WinXP's version.

There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:

1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
one most people see. To further supplement this view, Sphinx's Vista
Firewall Control http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) is a piece of freeware
that makes the Vista Firewall much more easily manageable to the average
user.

2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
(WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
the experienced user who wants more granular control.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Fast Turtle

> spat61 wrote:
>> Much to my suprise I quickly found out I can no loner use Zone Alarm for
>> a firewall. Shouls I be considering the purchase of Norton or McAfee or
>> just use the Windows built in firewall. Thanks
>>

> Vista's built-in firewall is perfectly adequate for most people. While
> it's not quite up to the ease-of-use standards of Kerio or ZoneAlarm, it
> has been noticeably improved over WinXP's version.
>
> There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:
>
> 1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
> one most people see. To further supplement this view, Sphinx's Vista
> Firewall Control http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) is a piece of freeware
> that makes the Vista Firewall much more easily manageable to the average
> user.
>
> 2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
> (WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
> the experienced user who wants more granular control.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers

I'll second the Sphinx Vista Firewall Control as being damn easy to use and
works though it does have the disconcerting issue of being overloaded at
times. Pops up a server busy message with switch/retry buttons that can't be
dismissed except by selecting the switch (opens start menu for some reason)
but can't complain to much as the price is free.