"you need permission to perform this action" on network folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

darylh

"you need permission to perform this action" on network folder
Greetings,

I am having a problem accessing folders that I made on a newly
purchased external HD set up on my home network via a wireless router.
I set up the HD (a 500GB drive in an USB enclosure) and formatted it
using the Computer Management tools in Vista. It has 1 primary, active
NTFS partition. With the drive plugged directly into my PC by USB, I
was able to format the drive and create two folders at it's root;
'Archive' and 'Restore'. I want to use these folders to hold copies of
my files and back ups of my laptops drive using the Vista Back Up and
Restore tools. I have the HD connected by USB into my ASUS WL-500W
wireless router. I can see the drive (named 'Portable') and the
folders in the Network view of Windows Explorer. However, when I try
and create or copy folders on the HD over the network I get errors
such as "you need permission to perform this action". When I check the
Properties/Security tab of the folders the 'Everyone' user doesn't
have the proper permissions, so I assume this is the problem, but I'm
not sure how to set this. Everything works fine when connected
directly to my PC by USB, but not over the network and I would like to
be able to leave the drive connected to the network so that it's
easier to schedule back ups and gather/deposit/share files with other
users on the network.

Does anyone think there is a solution to this?
Would it be my router settings that are causing the issue or
permission set my Vista, or a combination?

Thanks for the help.

Daryl
darvesh88

Re: "you need permission to perform this action" on network folder

You have to look at the access settings on the router, there should be a
option in the router to say Let everyone read/write or create accounts
for users etc. Basic rule of thumb when sharing files is, the client
(vista) has to obey the rules set by the server (router), so if your
router says you can only read this folder by default, any client will
not be able to write just the way it works. I would say take a look in
the router settings before messing around with the vista ones

--
darvesh88