Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tex Hemke

Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
Hi All;

I am trying to connect to the WRT160N Wireless Router by typing
http://192.168.1.1/ I have used both IE 7 and Safari and neither will bring
up the Logon Window. I get the Error Message "Internet Explorer cannot
display the webpage." I then click on "Diagnose Connection Problems" and a
new Windows Pop up states: "192.168.1.1" is not set up to establish a
connection on port "World wide web service (http)" with this computer.

Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium and all Microsoft Updates
have been done. Please advise how I can access the Router to make changes. I
have already checked the "ipconfig /all" and 192.168.1.1 is the correct
Default Gateway IP Address. Thanks....

Malke

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
Tex Hemke wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I am trying to connect to the WRT160N Wireless Router by typing
> http://192.168.1.1/ I have used both IE 7 and Safari and neither will
> bring up the Logon Window. I get the Error Message "Internet Explorer
> cannot display the webpage." I then click on "Diagnose Connection
> Problems" and a new Windows Pop up states: "192.168.1.1" is not set up to
> establish a connection on port "World wide web service (http)" with this
> computer.
>
> Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium and all Microsoft Updates
> have been done. Please advise how I can access the Router to make changes.
> I have already checked the "ipconfig /all" and 192.168.1.1 is the correct
> Default Gateway IP Address. Thanks....

Please refer to your router manual, but I believe that Linksys changed the
default gateway address for some routers to 192.168.2.1.

If you don't have a router manual, look it up on Linksys' tech support
website.

If you are sure that 192.168.1.1 is the correct address, also make sure that
you are accessing the router from a computer that is directly connected to
it with an ethernet cable and not wirelessly.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tex Hemke

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
Hi Malke;
Thanks for the reply. I have already used "ipconfig /all" to check the
default Gateway and it is 192.168.1.1 and I can also ping 192.168.1.1 which
works. Yes the computer is directly connected to the LAN Port. Any other
suggestions?

Tex Hemke wrote:

> Hi Malke;
> Thanks for the reply. I have already used "ipconfig /all" to check the
> default Gateway and it is 192.168.1.1 and I can also ping 192.168.1.1
> which works. Yes the computer is directly connected to the LAN Port. Any
> other suggestions?

Try with a different computer? This at least will tell you whether the
problem is limited to your problem computer or the router itself.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tex Hemke

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
Hi Malke;
Okay, I can connect to the Router with a Laptop connected via a Wireless
connection so the problem is with the computer connected directly to the LAN
Port. Confusing????

Tex Hemke wrote:

> Hi Malke;
> Okay, I can connect to the Router with a Laptop connected via a Wireless
> connection so the problem is with the computer connected directly to the
> LAN Port. Confusing????

Yes, but if all you're trying to do is get to the router's configuration
utility then you've accomplished that. I would connect the working laptop
to the router via ethernet and see if that works. After all, when you make
changes you're going to lose the wireless connection.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tex Hemke

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
Hi Malke;
Yes, you are correct that I have accomplished the task of accessing the
Router with the Laptop, but that still doesn't solve the problem of not being
able to logon to the Router with the Desktop that is connected directly via a
LAN Port. I will try to connect the Laptop via the LAN Port. I am afraid to
make any configuration changes to the Router because if I can't connect after
making changes with either computer then things will be very bad....

"Malke" wrote:

> Tex Hemke wrote:
>
> > Hi Malke;
> > Okay, I can connect to the Router with a Laptop connected via a Wireless
> > connection so the problem is with the computer connected directly to the
> > LAN Port. Confusing????

> Yes, but if all you're trying to do is get to the router's configuration
> utility then you've accomplished that. I would connect the working laptop
> to the router via ethernet and see if that works. After all, when you make
> changes you're going to lose the wireless connection.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Paul Adare

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:10:00 -0800, Tex Hemke wrote:

> Yes, you are correct that I have accomplished the task of accessing the
> Router with the Laptop, but that still doesn't solve the problem of not being
> able to logon to the Router with the Desktop that is connected directly via a
> LAN Port. I will try to connect the Laptop via the LAN Port. I am afraid to
> make any configuration changes to the Router because if I can't connect after
> making changes with either computer then things will be very bad....

If you read the documentation that came with the device you'll find a
method to reset the router to the factory defaults. There is normally a way
to do this via a hardware reset.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
Mick Murphy

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
You have proven that the Router is OK.
Check the Network Adaptor in Device Manager, in the failed connection one.
You might be missing a Motherboard Driver for it.
--
Mad Mike

"Tex Hemke" wrote:

> Hi Malke;
> Yes, you are correct that I have accomplished the task of accessing the
> Router with the Laptop, but that still doesn't solve the problem of not being
> able to logon to the Router with the Desktop that is connected directly via a
> LAN Port. I will try to connect the Laptop via the LAN Port. I am afraid to
> make any configuration changes to the Router because if I can't connect after
> making changes with either computer then things will be very bad....
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Tex Hemke wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Malke;
> > > Okay, I can connect to the Router with a Laptop connected via a Wireless
> > > connection so the problem is with the computer connected directly to the
> > > LAN Port. Confusing????

> > Yes, but if all you're trying to do is get to the router's configuration
> > utility then you've accomplished that. I would connect the working laptop
> > to the router via ethernet and see if that works. After all, when you make
> > changes you're going to lose the wireless connection.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> > FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Peter Foldes

Re: Can't connect to Linksys WRT160N Router????
See what applies for your issue

http://www.ezlan.net/index.html#Wireless

--
Peter