Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Snowbound

Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points
Have a laptop with Vista64 and have problems installing OpenOffice. The
program errors on on installing a file to
\programdata\microsoft\windows\templates indicating that I do not have rights
to that location. Checked in windows explorer and that location is showing up
as a junction point rather than a real directory. I know that
\ProgramData\Templates is a junction point which points to
\\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates but I can not gain access to that
directory since in Windows explorer it too has a shortcut/junction point
symbol and when I click on it I get an Access Denied error!

Malke

Re: Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points
Snowbound wrote:

> Have a laptop with Vista64 and have problems installing OpenOffice. The
> program errors on on installing a file to
> \programdata\microsoft\windows\templates indicating that I do not have
> rights to that location. Checked in windows explorer and that location is
> showing up as a junction point rather than a real directory. I know that
> \ProgramData\Templates is a junction point which points to
> \\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates but I can not gain access to
> that directory since in Windows explorer it too has a shortcut/junction
> point symbol and when I click on it I get an Access Denied error!

Don't worry about junction points. Make sure you are using the latest
version of OO (I believe it is 3.0). Download it and right-click on the
installer and choose "Run as administrator". Now the installer will unpack
to the Desktop (or to the directory to which you downloaded it, perhaps
your Downloads folder). The regular installation will begin after the
unpacking. Since you're running the installation as administrator, you
won't have any problems with permissions. At the end of the installation,
run OO as your regular user. You can delete the installer and the unpacked
files directory now.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Snowbound

Re: Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points
Sorry but have done that numerous times both with OOffice 2 and 3 with the
same result. Errors out on installation. The problem is because the Vista64
business install on this new computer is screwed up regarding
/programdata/microsoft/windows/template not being able to accept file
creation since Vista has screwed up the attribute. It thinks that this
directory is a junction point when it is suppose to be a regular directory.
Here is all the gory details on the OOffice forum http://tinyurl.com/6bturs

Snowbound wrote:

> Sorry but have done that numerous times both with OOffice 2 and 3 with the
> same result. Errors out on installation. The problem is because the
> Vista64 business install on this new computer is screwed up regarding
> /programdata/microsoft/windows/template not being able to accept file
> creation since Vista has screwed up the attribute. It thinks that this
> directory is a junction point when it is suppose to be a regular
> directory. Here is all the gory details on the OOffice forum
> http://tinyurl.com/6bturs

Perhaps the people on the OO forum will be able to help you. Vista doesn't
normally "screw up" attributes. Perhaps a clean install of the operating
system is in order. There is no way for me to know. I've installed OO on
numerous Vista computers with no problems, and didn't need to run the
installer as administrative either. So I'm not sure what you've done on
your machine.

Sorry I was unable to help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Snowbound

Re: Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points
It is not Open Office but Vista Business 64 bit. I have done a reinstall of
the o/s from the recovery partition and I still am not able to drill down
past c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\templates ... if I try I get a

not accessible ...
"The name of the file can not be resolved by the system"

"Malke" wrote:

> Snowbound wrote:
>
> > Sorry but have done that numerous times both with OOffice 2 and 3 with the
> > same result. Errors out on installation. The problem is because the
> > Vista64 business install on this new computer is screwed up regarding
> > /programdata/microsoft/windows/template not being able to accept file
> > creation since Vista has screwed up the attribute. It thinks that this
> > directory is a junction point when it is suppose to be a regular
> > directory. Here is all the gory details on the OOffice forum
> > http://tinyurl.com/6bturs

> Perhaps the people on the OO forum will be able to help you. Vista doesn't
> normally "screw up" attributes. Perhaps a clean install of the operating
> system is in order. There is no way for me to know. I've installed OO on
> numerous Vista computers with no problems, and didn't need to run the
> installer as administrative either. So I'm not sure what you've done on
> your machine.
>
> Sorry I was unable to help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

snowbound@home.moc

Re: Fresh Vista64 install problem with junction points
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 14:30:29 -0800, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Snowbound wrote:
>
>> Sorry but have done that numerous times both with OOffice 2 and 3 with the
>> same result. Errors out on installation. The problem is because the
>> Vista64 business install on this new computer is screwed up regarding
>> /programdata/microsoft/windows/template not being able to accept file
>> creation since Vista has screwed up the attribute. It thinks that this
>> directory is a junction point when it is suppose to be a regular
>> directory. Here is all the gory details on the OOffice forum
>> http://tinyurl.com/6bturs

>Perhaps the people on the OO forum will be able to help you. Vista doesn't
>normally "screw up" attributes. Perhaps a clean install of the operating
>system is in order. There is no way for me to know. I've installed OO on
>numerous Vista computers with no problems, and didn't need to run the
>installer as administrative either. So I'm not sure what you've done on
>your machine.
>
>Sorry I was unable to help you.
>
>Malke

I installed open office 3 on a Vista Home Premium 64bit version on
someone else's computer and had no such problem. The Business 64bit is
doing something differently to this directory.