Frustrating time trying to sign in here

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Snowbound

Frustrating time trying to sign in here
I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50

I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet there
would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=US&lc=1033

which allowed me to sign in. I tried several computers all with the same
result.
Gordon

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
"Snowbound" <Snowbound@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50

Do yourself a BIG favour and ditch the horrible web interface. Use a news
reader instead.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

John Barnett MVP

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
I have to agree with Gordon, snowbound, the web based community interface is
useless. I prefer to use the Windows Mail (or Windows Live Mail) newsgroup
reader.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Snowbound" <Snowbound@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50
>
> I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet
> there
> would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=US&lc=1033
>
> which allowed me to sign in. I tried several computers all with the same
> result.

Mick Murphy

RE: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
The original link to Vista Discussions IS broken.
After you sign-in, you still can not post, or reply

BUT, the link posted here WORKS.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

You scroll down the list to: microsoft.public.windows THEN expand it for
Vista Newsgroups

And it works the same as the broken one; sign in via Hotmail Account.
MS emailed me this link months ago, when it 1st happened.

Unfortunatley other posters knock the Web interface, as it is called.
If you know how to use it, it is quite good.
--
Mad Mike

"Snowbound" wrote:

> I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50
>
> I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet there
> would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=US&lc=1033
>
> which allowed me to sign in. I tried several computers all with the same
> result.

Mick Murphy

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
Why, oh why, do you have to post preferences!
That is merely YOUR opinion.

People, like myself, have NO problem with the Web interface.
Learn how to use it properly.
And, before you ask, I have used BOTH ways.

And just answer the OP's question. lol.
--
Mad Mike

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> I have to agree with Gordon, snowbound, the web based community interface is
> useless. I prefer to use the Windows Mail (or Windows Live Mail) newsgroup
> reader.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Snowbound" <Snowbound@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50
> >
> > I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet
> > there
> > would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=US&lc=1033
> >
> > which allowed me to sign in. I tried several computers all with the same
> > result.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
We all have our opinions Mike; you have yours and I have mine, so we will
have to agree to disagree.

> Why, oh why, do you have to post preferences!
> That is merely YOUR opinion.
>
> People, like myself, have NO problem with the Web interface.
> Learn how to use it properly.
> And, before you ask, I have used BOTH ways.
>
> And just answer the OP's question. lol.
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> I have to agree with Gordon, snowbound, the web based community interface
>> is
>> useless. I prefer to use the Windows Mail (or Windows Live Mail)
>> newsgroup
>> reader.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

>> for
>> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
>> the
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "Snowbound" <Snowbound@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...9-c13a2235ae50
>> >
>> > I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet
>> > there
>> > would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=US&lc=1033
>> >
>> > which allowed me to sign in. I tried several computers all with the
>> > same
>> > result.

Mick Murphy

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
John, that is fair enough.
But, at least answer the OP's question.
If an OP asks for Newsreader info, I supply it.
--
Mad Mike

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> We all have our opinions Mike; you have yours and I have mine, so we will
> have to agree to disagree.

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why, oh why, do you have to post preferences!
> > That is merely YOUR opinion.
> >
> > People, like myself, have NO problem with the Web interface.
> > Learn how to use it properly.
> > And, before you ask, I have used BOTH ways.
> >
> > And just answer the OP's question. lol.
> > --
> > Mad Mike
> >

> > "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> I have to agree with Gordon, snowbound, the web based community interface
> >> is
> >> useless. I prefer to use the Windows Mail (or Windows Live Mail)
> >> newsgroup
> >> reader.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Barnett MVP
> >> Windows XP Associate Expert
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> >> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
> >>
> >> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
> >> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> >> for
> >> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> >> the
> >> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
> >> mail/post..

Snowbound

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:41:01 -0800, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The original link to Vista Discussions IS broken.
>After you sign-in, you still can not post, or reply

Correct and it is not just the Vista Discussion I believe. The problem
is that when doing a search for Communities on Microsoft the broken
link is the one that is usually returned.

It has been this way for a long time.

>BUT, the link posted here WORKS.
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx
>
>You scroll down the list to: microsoft.public.windows THEN expand it for
>Vista Newsgroups
>
>And it works the same as the broken one; sign in via Hotmail Account.
>MS emailed me this link months ago, when it 1st happened.
>
>Unfortunatley other posters knock the Web interface, as it is called.
>If you know how to use it, it is quite good.

Mick Murphy

Re: Frustrating time trying to sign in here
From the link I have posted here, you have access to MS discussion groups.
How do you think I post in various discussion Groups, using the Web Interface.
With the link I supplied!
--
Mad Mike