Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

David Mayerovitch

Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive
I'm running Vista Home Premium. I want to create a password reset disk using
a CD. My CD/DVD/RW drive is E:. Windows Explorer also shows four other
available drives: F:, G:, H: and I:. (I don't know why they are there, as
there are no physical drives associated with them.)

When I run the Forgotten Password Wizard, which is supposed to allow me to
create a password reset disk on a CD or a USB key, I am presented with a
dropdown list for choosing the drive on which I wish to create the disk.
However, the options in the list are only F:, G:, H: and I:. When I select
one of them, I am prompted to insert a password reset disk in the drive.
Since there are no physical drives associated with any of these, I can't do
this.

When I insert a USB key, it shows up as drive J: in the dropdown list, and I
could presumably use that USB key as my password reset disk. But I want to
use a CD.

Can anyone tell my why the Forgotten Password Wizard is not recognizing my
E: R/W drive as an available drive for creating the disk? And what can I do
about it?

Thanks.

David

David Mayerovitch

Re: Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive
Regarding the following message: I now realize that the F:, G:, H: and I:
drives are the card readers. But my problem remains.

David

"David Mayerovitch" <davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium. I want to create a password reset disk
> using a CD. My CD/DVD/RW drive is E:. Windows Explorer also shows four
> other available drives: F:, G:, H: and I:. (I don't know why they are
> there, as there are no physical drives associated with them.)
>
> When I run the Forgotten Password Wizard, which is supposed to allow me to
> create a password reset disk on a CD or a USB key, I am presented with a
> dropdown list for choosing the drive on which I wish to create the disk.
> However, the options in the list are only F:, G:, H: and I:. When I select
> one of them, I am prompted to insert a password reset disk in the drive.
> Since there are no physical drives associated with any of these, I can't
> do this.
>
> When I insert a USB key, it shows up as drive J: in the dropdown list, and
> I could presumably use that USB key as my password reset disk. But I want
> to use a CD.
>
> Can anyone tell my why the Forgotten Password Wizard is not recognizing my
> E: R/W drive as an available drive for creating the disk? And what can I
> do about it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Snidley W.

Re: Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive
"David Mayerovitch" <davmay@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Can anyone tell my why the Forgotten Password Wizard is not recognizing my
>E: R/W drive as an available drive for creating the disk?

Because optical media isn't allowed for such an operation? It was
designed for using a floppy disk.

Just a WAG.

>And what can I do about it?

If I'm right, nothing.
David Mayerovitch

Re: Forgotten Password Wizard won't recognize my CD drive
Looks like you're right, Snidley. I did some more research on the net and
confirmed that CDs don't work for this: it's got to be a USB key or (ha!) a
floppy.

David