Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
[Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]

Alexandra wrote:
> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
> folder
> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it.
> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
> is
> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
> it.
> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
> ARE
> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
> shortcut
> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
> have
> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Michael Walraven

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not have
a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I have
not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
Michael

> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> Alexandra wrote:
>> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
>> folder
>> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
>> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access
>> it.
>> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
>> is
>> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
>> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
>> it.
>> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
>> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
>> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
>> ARE
>> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
>> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
>> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
>> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
>> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
>> shortcut
>> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
>> have
>> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
>> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Big D

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:

>My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not have
>a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
>So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I have
>not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
>Michael

And UAC is operating uninhibited?

I couldn't do what the OP wants to do until I disabled UAC completely.

>"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]
>>
>> Alexandra wrote:
>>> I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File
>>> folder
>>> is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even
>>> changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access
>>> it.
>>> When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it
>>> is
>>> blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files attributes is
>>> set with the Hidden checked and greyed out so there is no way to change
>>> it.
>>> With Dell, I have changed owners, changed permissions, checked and
>>> unchecked every box that applies to IE7. I need to access the temporary
>>> internet folders for the FLV, SWF, and a smattering of music files that
>>> ARE
>>> NOT COPYRIGHTED. Please do not tell me about viruses, malicious software,
>>> trojans, etc. I know all about this. Just what to see those Tempoary
>>> Internet Files. I have also done the command line of
>>> C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files -
>>> still will not let me see them. If i clicked on the TIF [it has a
>>> shortcut
>>> arrow on it] it gives me a box with a red X and access denied I do not
>>> have
>>> permission to access this folder - it's my computer. How can I can this?
>>> need those Temporary Internet Files. Please help.

Michael Walraven

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a warning
that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a file
in the folder.

I note that on my system at:
c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

Michael

"Big D" <big.dee@yaSPAMhoo.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>>My Temporary Internet File folder is 'dim' (system/hidden) but does not
>>have
>>a 'shortcut arrow' on it and it opens fine.
>>So seems to work as expected on my Vista Home Premium configuration. I
>>have
>>not changed owners, permissions, other security settings etc.
>>Michael

> And UAC is operating uninhibited?
>
> I couldn't do what the OP wants to do until I disabled UAC completely.
>

>>"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]

Big D

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:

>In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
>I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
>Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a warning
>that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a file
>in the folder.
>
>I note that on my system at:
>c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
>Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

I have moved my TIF folder to a completely different drive (the REAL
location!), but I still see SOME of those files in the
C:\Users\...blah, blah folder. To view all of the files in the REAL
location, I had to disable UAC... for whatever reason.

To get at the SWF and similar items the OP needs to go to the REAL
location.

Actually, the OP needs to use Firefox and install one of the great
add-ons that will download SWF files, etc to the computer's hard drive
and then convert it to whatever type is needed.

Mine will download ANY flash movie from ANY site. No need to find it
in the TIF folder.
FromTheRafters

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files
I presume the *real* files can be managed by "cleanmgr" so you can
find them, wherever you relocated them to, by doing the following:

Start - run - cleanmgr

Highlight Temporary Internet Files

Click the "View Files" button.

Make a note of the location.

Other TIF file locations may be there for some odd legacy programs to
use but may not be managed by cleanmgr.

Actually, Im not at the Vista machine now to confirm the process, but
ISTR it is very much alike this XP process.

"Big D" <big.dee@yaSPAMhoo.com> wrote in message
newsgdvg4pur66is1659c4hoome8apo9kd2qk@4ax.com...
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>>In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
>>I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
>>Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a
>>warning
>>that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a
>>file
>>in the folder.
>>
>>I note that on my system at:
>>c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
>>Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

> I have moved my TIF folder to a completely different drive (the REAL
> location!), but I still see SOME of those files in the
> C:\Users\...blah, blah folder. To view all of the files in the REAL
> location, I had to disable UAC... for whatever reason.
>
> To get at the SWF and similar items the OP needs to go to the REAL
> location.
>
> Actually, the OP needs to use Firefox and install one of the great
> add-ons that will download SWF files, etc to the computer's hard drive
> and then convert it to whatever type is needed.
>
> Mine will download ANY flash movie from ANY site. No need to find it
> in the TIF folder.

Steven Andrews

FromTheRafters wrote:
> I presume the *real* files can be managed by "cleanmgr" so you can
> find them, wherever you relocated them to, by doing the following:
>
> Start - run - cleanmgr
>
> Highlight Temporary Internet Files
>
> Click the "View Files" button.
>
> Make a note of the location.
>
> Other TIF file locations may be there for some odd legacy programs to
> use but may not be managed by cleanmgr.
>
> Actually, Im not at the Vista machine now to confirm the process, but
> ISTR it is very much alike this XP process.
>
> "Big D" <big.dee@yaSPAMhoo.com> wrote in message
> newsgdvg4pur66is1659c4hoome8apo9kd2qk@4ax.com...
>> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>>
>>> In my (working fine) case UAC is operating at default (lots of natters).
>>> I do not get any UAC warnings when browsing through to the Temporary
>>> Internet Files nor when opening any file in that folder. I do get a
>>> warning
>>> that running a system command on this item may be unsafe when opening a
>>> file
>>> in the folder.
>>>
>>> I note that on my system at:
>>> c:\users\walraven\AppData\Local there is a folder/link for Temporary
>>> Internet Files with a shortcut arrow on it.

>> I have moved my TIF folder to a completely different drive (the REAL
>> location!), but I still see SOME of those files in the
>> C:\Users\...blah, blah folder. To view all of the files in the REAL
>> location, I had to disable UAC... for whatever reason.
>>
>> To get at the SWF and similar items the OP needs to go to the REAL
>> location.
>>
>> Actually, the OP needs to use Firefox and install one of the great
>> add-ons that will download SWF files, etc to the computer's hard drive
>> and then convert it to whatever type is needed.
>>
>> Mine will download ANY flash movie from ANY site. No need to find it
>> in the TIF folder.

They should be here in vista:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\local\Microsoft\window s\Temporary Internet Files

or

start -> Run -> %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temp orary
internet files

or

Open Control Panel / Internet Options / Settings / View Files

This is accessible with UAC enabled, no changing permissions required.

Steve
tanuj_chadha

Re: Need my Temporary Interent Files

you can also try this:

Open a CMD with admin rights.

type in
cd\
cd windows
cd temp
dir

And you would see all the temporary internet files

If you want temporary internet files regarding your user name then
try this

Open a CMD with admin rights.

cd\
cd docume~1
cd username
cd locals~1
cd temp
dir

--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek:
FromTheRafters

"Steven Andrews" <applecontrolreset@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> They should be here in vista:
>
> C:\Users\%username%\AppData\local\Microsoft\window s\Temporary Internet
> Files

Unless they had been relocated, for instance, to the D: drive.

> or
>
> start -> Run -> %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temp orary
> internet files

I'm not sure how a relocation affects this.

> or
>
> Open Control Panel / Internet Options / Settings / View Files

This should work, but I haven't tried it myself. This is similar to my
suggestion, because the OS *should* know where they are, for any
user, no matter where they relocated them to. Knowing where they
are on your machine is not the same as knowing where they are on
someone else's machine.

Steven Andrews

FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Steven Andrews" <applecontrolreset@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> They should be here in vista:
>>
>> C:\Users\%username%\AppData\local\Microsoft\window s\Temporary Internet
>> Files

> Unless they had been relocated, for instance, to the D: drive.
>
>> or
>>
>> start -> Run -> %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temp orary
>> internet files

> I'm not sure how a relocation affects this.
>
>> or
>>
>> Open Control Panel / Internet Options / Settings / View Files

> This should work, but I haven't tried it myself. This is similar to my
> suggestion, because the OS *should* know where they are, for any
> user, no matter where they relocated them to. Knowing where they
> are on your machine is not the same as knowing where they are on
> someone else's machine.

Good point about the redirection, and I've just reread the postings and
yes I've pretty much copied your own suggestion, sorry about that. And
you are correct, the OS 'should' know where they are.... I think we
could be in trouble if it doesn't!

THis should be correct regardless of group policy folder redirection policy:
Regedit:

HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentVersion\exp lorer\Shell Folders

Cache

Also there is a lot of funky interesting stuff in there!

Steve