Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jim

Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines...
I can Ping my XP Pro PCs, but Vista will not show them from Start>Network.

They are all on the same IP segment. They are all members of the same
workgroup. I have SP3 on XP Pro Pcs - so LLTP KB fix will not install
(it must have been included in SP3 - I guess).

The XP Pro PCs can ping the Vista Home Premium PC, but not see any
shares on it.

The Vista Home Premium PC cannot see the XP Pro PCS when using their
names and trying to map a drive. The same goes for the XP PCs - they
can't see the VHP machine by name, but can ping it via IP.

I have set and reset the sharing options in Vista over and over and
cannot figure out this problem.

Can anyone help?
Andy Mclennan

Re: Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines...
jim wrote:
> I can Ping my XP Pro PCs, but Vista will not show them from Start>Network.
>
> They are all on the same IP segment. They are all members of the same
> workgroup. I have SP3 on XP Pro Pcs - so LLTP KB fix will not install
> (it must have been included in SP3 - I guess).
>
> The XP Pro PCs can ping the Vista Home Premium PC, but not see any
> shares on it.
>
> The Vista Home Premium PC cannot see the XP Pro PCS when using their
> names and trying to map a drive. The same goes for the XP PCs - they
> can't see the VHP machine by name, but can ping it via IP.
>
> I have set and reset the sharing options in Vista over and over and
> cannot figure out this problem.
>
> Can anyone help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Could this be the answer?

--
*Andy*

VM approved sycophants will be ignored.
jim

Andy Mclennan wrote:
> jim wrote:
>> I can Ping my XP Pro PCs, but Vista will not show them from
>> Start>Network.
>>
>> They are all on the same IP segment. They are all members of the same
>> workgroup. I have SP3 on XP Pro Pcs - so LLTP KB fix will not install
>> (it must have been included in SP3 - I guess).
>>
>> The XP Pro PCs can ping the Vista Home Premium PC, but not see any
>> shares on it.
>>
>> The Vista Home Premium PC cannot see the XP Pro PCS when using their
>> names and trying to map a drive. The same goes for the XP PCs - they
>> can't see the VHP machine by name, but can ping it via IP.
>>
>> I have set and reset the sharing options in Vista over and over and
>> cannot figure out this problem.
>>
>> Can anyone help?

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>
> Could this be the answer?

No. It tells me that the update is older than the last applied service
pack and will not install. I guess that is rolled into SP3.

Josh__MCTS

Re: Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines...
Download the link layer topology responder from microsoft
--
Joshua Randall

"Andy Mclennan" wrote:

> jim wrote:
> > I can Ping my XP Pro PCs, but Vista will not show them from Start>Network.
> >
> > They are all on the same IP segment. They are all members of the same
> > workgroup. I have SP3 on XP Pro Pcs - so LLTP KB fix will not install
> > (it must have been included in SP3 - I guess).
> >
> > The XP Pro PCs can ping the Vista Home Premium PC, but not see any
> > shares on it.
> >
> > The Vista Home Premium PC cannot see the XP Pro PCS when using their
> > names and trying to map a drive. The same goes for the XP PCs - they
> > can't see the VHP machine by name, but can ping it via IP.
> >
> > I have set and reset the sharing options in Vista over and over and
> > cannot figure out this problem.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>
> Could this be the answer?
>

> --
> *Andy*
>
> VM approved sycophants will be ignored.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Home Premium cannot see mmy XP Pro SP3 machines...
Jim, have a read of this info re Networking XP and Vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike