Vista advertising SD card content?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gareth

Vista advertising SD card content?
I'm probably missing something here but if someone could explain it would be
much appreciated.

I notice that if I plug a SD card containing digital camera produced files
in to a card reader connected to Vista via USB I am invited via autoplay to
allow "Windows to view pictures".

I didn't give any permission to Vista to broadcast the fact that the
(protected) SD card contains photos and yet it does so - all another user
has to do to trigger the invitation is unplug and plug the card reader.
There's no way I can see for me to prevent other users from knowing that the
SD card contains pictures.

So basically Vista is not just detecting the hardware (the card reader and
arguably the card) but it is also actively accessing the file signatures of
files on the SD card. This is surely a concern?

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista advertising SD card content?
Disallow Autorun.
And you are plugging in a Card READER, lol.

Mad Mike

> Disallow Autorun.
> And you are plugging in a Card READER, lol.

Other users can enable Autorun and plug in *my* card reader. The point is
Vista is looking at the file types on the card - there's no way (is there?)
of disallowing non user prompted access to the SD card. This didn't happen
with XP or Win 9X. It's worrying.

Bruce Chambers

Gareth wrote:
> I'm probably missing something here but if someone could explain it
> would be much appreciated.
>
> I notice that if I plug a SD card containing digital camera produced
> files in to a card reader connected to Vista via USB I am invited via
> autoplay to allow "Windows to view pictures".
>
> I didn't give any permission to Vista to broadcast the fact that the
> (protected) SD card contains photos and yet it does so - all another
> user has to do to trigger the invitation is unplug and plug the card
> reader. There's no way I can see for me to prevent other users from
> knowing that the SD card contains pictures.
>
> So basically Vista is not just detecting the hardware (the card reader
> and arguably the card) but it is also actively accessing the file
> signatures of files on the SD card. This is surely a concern?

First of all, Vista is doing exactly as one would expect it to do when
inserting an SD card. If you don't want this default activity, disable
auto-play.

Secondly, if you're concerned about others accessing your "private"
pictures on that SD card, don't leave it lying about where others can
get their hands on it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Gareth wrote:

> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Disallow Autorun.
>> And you are plugging in a Card READER, lol.

> Other users can enable Autorun and plug in *my* card reader.

If you're so concerned for your privacy, why have you granted other
administrative privileges to your computer, and why are *you* leaving
*your* card reader and *your* SD card unsecured?

> The point
> is Vista is looking at the file types on the card - there's no way (is
> there?) of disallowing non user prompted access to the SD card.

You've been told how.

> This
> didn't happen with XP or Win 9X.

It did if one had the proper drivers installed and auto-play enabled.

> It's worrying.

What's really worrying is that you're expecting the OS to protect you
from your own sloppy habits of leaving things lying about where curious
minds can find them. Software can't protect you from yourself.

If the contents of the SD card are so very sensitive, simply put it out
of others reach.