Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

tomoedinburgh

Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Everytime I start, Windows Defender says

Failed to intialize 0x800106ba
A problem caused this program's service to
stop. To start service, restart or search
help and suppot to start it mannually

What is this 0x800106ba? Is it important?:shock:

Restart does not solve this.
Could anyone tell me how to fix it?

--
tomoedinburgh
SIW2

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi tomoedinburgh ,

this may be useful

'Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code
0x800106ba"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
tomoedinburgh

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi SIW2

thank you, I remember you. You helped me previously.
Well, i visited the site and tried all three there.
I could not uninstall the defender. it was not in the "program"
but I installed successfully the latest version of WD from the site.
However, this did not solve the problem.

I typed in the patches in the option three. Some went in
some came back saying "problem 0x800106..."

Still, each time I restart, WD says "cannot initialize 0x800"

The voice of HAL says "Sorry, I cannnot do it"....
I dont know what more I can do with this...

--
tomoedinburgh
SIW2

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi,

Always worth checking for malware, you may like to download and scan
with the free

'Malwarebytes.org' (http://www.malwarebytes.org).

Suggest you try a system restore to a point before Defender stopped
working

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

If you are still having problems, run a system file check

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html

and if necessary, do a repair install ( you need the proper Microsoft
installation dvd to do this )

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

If you could also add your system specs. that would be useful - go to
User CP at the top left of this page to add them.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?
0x800106ba RPC_S_Server_Unavailable
This is a BITS or COM related issue.

Have you diabled any services ?
Is KB939159 installed ?
Is Vista SP1 installed ?
What is the installed security software [antivirus/security suite/etc] ?

BTW, you can NOT uninstall WD in Vista, you can only disable the Service
that it's dependent upon thereby stopping WD from functioning.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

tomoedinburgh wrote:

> Hi SIW2
>
> thank you, I remember you. You helped me previously.
> Well, i visited the site and tried all three there.
> I could not uninstall the defender. it was not in the "program"
> but I installed successfully the latest version of WD from the site.
> However, this did not solve the problem.
>
> I typed in the patches in the option three. Some went in
> some came back saying "problem 0x800106..."
>
> Still, each time I restart, WD says "cannot initialize 0x800"
>
> The voice of HAL says "Sorry, I cannnot do it"....
> I dont know what more I can do with this...

tomoedinburgh

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi

many thanks for the suggestions

I deleted some files which I believed were just duplicates and I am
afraind
I did something wrong there.. just a guess but they coincide.

No, I have not took in SVP1. I read reviews and pretty much convinced
that it is more trouble than it is worth. But do you think downloading
the service pack solve this problem?

Could you possibly tell me how serious having this 0x800106
malfunctioning?
Is it in anyway putting my PC in danger? Or is it just a nuisance?

Let me get back to later with this upfate K something...

--
tomoedinburgh
SIW2

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi tomoedinburgh,

Defender is a pretty important thing to have running - did you try a
system restore to a point before the problem ?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

It is also also a good idea to have SP1 installed.

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
tomoedinburgh

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi again

I regulary delete Shadow Copy and do registory Cleaning. Can I still
restore
the system to a few weeks back?

I also worry if I do this system restore I would lose change I made and
softwares I downloaded since. How does the system restore affect PC?

--
tomoedinburgh
SIW2

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Hi tomo...,

You probably don't have restore points going back weeks.

If you have the proper MS installation dvd , you do a repair install
which will replace replace all the Vista files , but should not affect
your data and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

If you have some ghastly "recovery" disc from the manufacturer - it
probably only allows you to put the system back to how it was when you
got your machine. You would need to transfer all your stuff to an
external hd first and then back after and reinstall all your programs.

It would help if you Click User CP at the top left of this page and
input your system specs.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
FromTheRafters

Re: Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?
> If you have some ghastly "recovery" disc from the manufacturer - it
> probably only allows you to put the system back to how it was when you
> got your machine.

Just picking some nits - it is often misunderstood what the
difference is between restore and recovery. Recovery is
meant to recover from some unfortunate thing. It implies
the end state is as it was just before the incident. Restore
is the one that gets you the sometimes less desireable "as
new" condition.

When using either process, it is best to read the documentation
to see what will actually be done. Misuse of terms is rampant
because nobody cares about language anymore.

> You would need to transfer all your stuff to an
> external hd first and then back after and reinstall all your programs.

Yes, a real PITA.

> It would help if you Click User CP at the top left of this page and
> input your system specs.
>
> Hope it helps

I can't see what you refer to. I click and I click anyway and nothing
seems to happen.