WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

CAROLE

WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER?
HELLO, I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, WITH MY PROBLEM. I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA
HOME PREMEUM. I HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE INSTALLED,
AND I'M WONDERING IF THIS CAN BE CAUSING WINDOWS DEFENDER TO STOP WORKING AND
KEEPS IT CLOSED. I CAN'T UNINSTALL THE DEFENDER BECAUSE THERE IS NOT A
UNINSTALL FOR IT ON ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS. ALSO I HAVE TRIED TO REINSTALL
AND UNINSTALL LIVE CARE BUT THIS IS NOT MAKING ANY DIFFERENCE.I ALSO CHECKED
TO SEE IF THE FIREWALL MAYBE BLOCKING IT BUT IT ISN'T DOING THAT BUT WINDOWS
ONECARE USES ITS OWN FIREWALL PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
--
FUNNYFACE
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER?
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:33:00 -0700, CAROLE
<CAROLE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> HELLO, I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, WITH MY PROBLEM. I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA

Aargh! If you are looking for help, please do not yell at us by
posting a message in all caps. Perhaps some people will read all of
your screaming messages, but most of us won't bother.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
SIW2

CAROLE;870774 Wrote:
> HELLO, I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, WITH MY PROBLEM. I HAVE WINDOWS
> VISTA
> HOME PREMEUM. I HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE
> INSTALLED,
> AND I'M WONDERING IF THIS CAN BE CAUSING WINDOWS DEFENDER TO STOP
> WORKING AND
> KEEPS IT CLOSED. I CAN'T UNINSTALL THE DEFENDER BECAUSE THERE IS NOT A
> UNINSTALL FOR IT ON ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS. ALSO I HAVE TRIED TO
> REINSTALL
> AND UNINSTALL LIVE CARE BUT THIS IS NOT MAKING ANY DIFFERENCE.I ALSO
> CHECKED
> TO SEE IF THE FIREWALL MAYBE BLOCKING IT BUT IT ISN'T DOING THAT BUT
> WINDOWS
> ONECARE USES ITS OWN FIREWALL PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
> --
> FUNNYFACE

Hi Carol,

Onecare includes Windows Defender. If you already had Defender
installed, Onecare will turn off your previously installed version.

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...edefender.mspx

Hope this helps

siw2

--
SIW2
FromTheRafters

Re: WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER?
OneCare.

Engel

RE: WHAT KEEPS SHUTTING OFF WINDOWS DEFENDER?
Hi Funnyface,

Here's what is happening:

Windows Live OneCare incorporates the functionality of Windows Defender,
while substituting its own User Interface (UI.)

Consequently, with OneCare installed, Windows Defender will be disabled.

This does not mean that you are not protected--in fact, you are far better
protected than with simply Windows Defender alone.

So--what you are seeing is normal. If at some later point you uninstall
OneCare, Windows Defender will remain available and be re-enabled.
-=-

Windows Live OneCare Forums
<http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/default.aspx?siteid=2>
-=-

Why Should I Avoid Capital Letters in Email Addresses and Other Online Forms?
<http://www.wisegeek.com/why-should-i-avoid-capital-letters-in-email-addresses-and-other-online-forms.htm>

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck