New Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion Media Center Set-up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gregory

New Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion Media Center Set-up
Hello friends, I was hoping you could help me with my new desktop I just got.
It's a HP Pavillion Media Center m8530f PC. AMD X4 9550 Quad-Core. Vista
Home Premium SP-1 64 bit. 5 gig RAM 750HD. It came with a 60 day freebie
Norton Security. I have had very good results running my Laptop the last few
years with Comodo Pro Firewall, Spysweeper, Avira, and Adaware. Could you
please tell me if I need to keep the Norton running whilst I download and
install the aforementioned security aps, or should I purge the beast
immediately? Any other tips about stumbling blocks with this set-up would be
greatly appreciated, as I have always been with you fine gentlemen the last
four years! Thanks beyond measure fellows! Your always recommending friend
and greatfull admirerer,
--
Gregory
Dave T.

Re: New Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion Media Center Set-up
Gregory wrote:
> Hello friends, I was hoping you could help me with my new desktop I just got.
> It's a HP Pavillion Media Center m8530f PC. AMD X4 9550 Quad-Core. Vista
> Home Premium SP-1 64 bit. 5 gig RAM 750HD. It came with a 60 day freebie
> Norton Security. I have had very good results running my Laptop the last few
> years with Comodo Pro Firewall, Spysweeper, Avira, and Adaware. Could you
> please tell me if I need to keep the Norton running whilst I download and
> install the aforementioned security aps, or should I purge the beast
> immediately? Any other tips about stumbling blocks with this set-up would be
> greatly appreciated, as I have always been with you fine gentlemen the last
> four years! Thanks beyond measure fellows! Your always recommending friend
> and greatfull admirerer,

Keep Norton running while you do your downloads, one of which should be
the Norton uninstall tool (Google for it, and download from the Symantec
site). Uninstall Norton, and then install your new security. Do not have
them both on your system together.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: New Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion Media Center Set-up
Gregory,

If Norton hasn't been activated yet, that's the *best* time to uninstall
it from Installed Programs before it hooks into the system and causes
updating issues. Do all Windows updates first with the required reboots.
As long as the native Vista firewall is enabled, then the system has
adequate protection until AntiVir [Avira] is then installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Gregory wrote:

> Hello friends, I was hoping you could help me with my new desktop I just got.
> It's a HP Pavillion Media Center m8530f PC. AMD X4 9550 Quad-Core. Vista
> Home Premium SP-1 64 bit. 5 gig RAM 750HD. It came with a 60 day freebie
> Norton Security. I have had very good results running my Laptop the last few
> years with Comodo Pro Firewall, Spysweeper, Avira, and Adaware. Could you
> please tell me if I need to keep the Norton running whilst I download and
> install the aforementioned security aps, or should I purge the beast
> immediately? Any other tips about stumbling blocks with this set-up would be
> greatly appreciated, as I have always been with you fine gentlemen the last
> four years! Thanks beyond measure fellows! Your always recommending friend
> and greatfull admirerer,

Jim

Re: New Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion Media Center Set-up
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:53:00 -0700, Gregory
<Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello friends, I was hoping you could help me with my new desktop I just got.
> It's a HP Pavillion Media Center m8530f PC. AMD X4 9550 Quad-Core. Vista
>Home Premium SP-1 64 bit. 5 gig RAM 750HD. It came with a 60 day freebie
>Norton Security. I have had very good results running my Laptop the last few
>years with Comodo Pro Firewall, Spysweeper, Avira, and Adaware. Could you
>please tell me if I need to keep the Norton running whilst I download and
>install the aforementioned security aps, or should I purge the beast
>immediately? Any other tips about stumbling blocks with this set-up would be
>greatly appreciated, as I have always been with you fine gentlemen the last
>four years! Thanks beyond measure fellows! Your always recommending friend
>and greatfull admirerer,

When I bought this new laptop 3 weeks ago it is one without Norton ;
£50 cheaper , and I won`t touch Norton with a bargepole . I installed
Comodo and Avast ( free ) .