Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2008
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
 

Posts: n/a
Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta

I am dual booting 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vi$ta. I wanna create a folder
that's readable by an account of the same name from both XP and Vista.

How should I do it when I boot Vi$ta?

I think I had possibly asked the same question before but I forgot....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
^ ^ 19:54:01 up 2 days 4:37 2 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2008
Mike Brannigan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
You can't. You will just have to give the everyone object permission to the
folder. You cannot secure it against the security principals from the other
OS as it is not active or contactable from the one running OS.
The name of the account is irrelevant as it is actually the objects Security
ID (SID) that is placed on the Access Control Entry (ACE) on the Access
Control List (ACL) for the folder object.

(Also you appear to have a problem spelling Vista - it is an s not a $
unless you are trying to be cute like the idiots that put a $ in Microsoft.
If you have a point to make about the product do it elsewhere, if you want
to ask questions then just try referring to the product and company by their
correct names).
--
Mike Brannigan

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Oet8mPfLJHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> I am dual booting 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vi$ta. I wanna create a folder
> that's readable by an account of the same name from both XP and Vista.
>
> How should I do it when I boot Vi$ta?
>
> I think I had possibly asked the same question before but I forgot....
>
> --
> @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
> ^ ^ 19:54:01 up 2 days 4:37 2 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
> 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2008
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
> You can't. You will just have to give the everyone object permission to
> the folder. You cannot secure it against the security principals from
> the other OS as it is not active or contactable from the one running OS.
> The name of the account is irrelevant as it is actually the objects
> Security ID (SID) that is placed on the Access Control Entry (ACE) on
> the Access Control List (ACL) for the folder object.


Both Vi$ta and XP use the same NTFS file systems. Can't the security
wizard open the user database in another partition and extract the
relevant information?

> (Also you appear to have a problem spelling Vista - it is an s not a $
> unless you are trying to be cute like the idiots that put a $ in
> Microsoft. If you have a point to make about the product do it
> elsewhere, if you want to ask questions then just try referring to the
> product and company by their correct names).


I am not trying to be cute nor trying to promote anything. I will
continue addressing it as Vi$ta. I did spend over HK$2000 to buy my
Vi$ta Ultimate Upgrade, which would likely end up as WinMe.....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
^ ^ 22:19:01 up 3 days 7:02 2 users load average: 1.02 1.04 1.00
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2008
Mike Brannigan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uZ7lZFtLJHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> You can't. You will just have to give the everyone object permission to
>> the folder. You cannot secure it against the security principals from
>> the other OS as it is not active or contactable from the one running OS.
>> The name of the account is irrelevant as it is actually the objects
>> Security ID (SID) that is placed on the Access Control Entry (ACE) on the
>> Access Control List (ACL) for the folder object.

>
> Both Vi$ta and XP use the same NTFS file systems. Can't the security
> wizard open the user database in another partition and extract the
> relevant information?
>


No. The Security Account Manager (SAM) database on an instance of Windows
is more then a file to open. So one running instance on your PC cannot
access the SAM in the other operating system. If you want true cross
instance security management then you need to a move to a domain model with
Windows Servers building a shared directory service for all machines and
operating system instances, an Active Directory. (No you cannot "run" an
Active Directory in a client PC OS like XP or Vista, it is a server only
function)
Bascially within a running OS that is in a workgroup or none networked
environment the only security principals it has access to are those in its
own SAM and for other systems to access files or folder secured using NTFS
ACLs then you need to use account objects such as Guest or Everyone etc

>> (Also you appear to have a problem spelling Vista - it is an s not a $
>> unless you are trying to be cute like the idiots that put a $ in
>> Microsoft. If you have a point to make about the product do it elsewhere,
>> if you want to ask questions then just try referring to the product and
>> company by their correct names).

>
> I am not trying to be cute nor trying to promote anything. I will continue
> addressing it as Vi$ta. I did spend over HK$2000 to buy my Vi$ta Ultimate
> Upgrade, which would likely end up as WinMe.....
>


Well it lacks respect.
As regards your Vista Ultimate becoming like Windows ME - there is no
possibility of that. Windows ME was a dead end product at the end of the
Win 9x product line. Windows Vista is the ongoing development of the NT
desktop operating lineage from Windows NT via Windows 2000 and Windows XP to
where we are today and onward to Windows 7 and future releases. All
effectively built on generational models of the kernel (with some backports
and cross development from the server team) and ongoing security tightening
and innovation. So Windows 7 takes all the work on Vista and continues to
move it forward, so it is worth noting that anyone thinking it will be
easier to go from XP to Windows 7 then from XP to Vista is going to be sadly
mistaken as the underlying security hardening that has caused issues with
drivers and application compatibility between XP and Vista is still there
under the cover of Windows 7, so the best and easiest migration will
actually be from Vista to Windows 7.
So no, your Windows Vista will not end up like ME.

> --
> @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
> ^ ^ 22:19:01 up 3 days 7:02 2 users load average: 1.02 1.04 1.00
> 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa


--

Mike Brannigan

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2008
FromTheRafters
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
> So Windows 7 takes all the work on Vista and continues to move it forward,
> so it is worth noting that anyone thinking it will be easier to go from XP
> to Windows 7 then from XP to Vista is going to be sadly mistaken as the
> underlying security hardening that has caused issues with drivers and
> application compatibility between XP and Vista is still there under the
> cover of Windows 7, so the best and easiest migration will actually be
> from Vista to Windows 7.


Additionally, the virtualization features of Vista for legacy
support will not be carried forward to the new kernel.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Jimmy Brush
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
Hello,

The common account groups are recognized between installations of Windows
(like Users and Administrators).

As long as the administrators group has full control of the file or folder,
you can add specific permissions to the object from any Windows
installation.

For example, create a folder in XP, and then in Vista add a permission to
that folder giving your Vista user account permission.

I STRONGLY CAUTION you to not change the owner of files created in another
Windows installation. This could really muck things up.

- JB


"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Oet8mPfLJHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> I am dual booting 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vi$ta. I wanna create a folder
> that's readable by an account of the same name from both XP and Vista.
>
> How should I do it when I boot Vi$ta?
>
> I think I had possibly asked the same question before but I forgot....
>
> --
> @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
> ^ ^ 19:54:01 up 2 days 4:37 2 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
> 不借貸! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
> I STRONGLY CAUTION you to not change the owner of files created in
> another Windows installation. This could really muck things up.


Too late. I did it, in that I removed the Administrator accounts from
that folder. And it seems that it's quite hard to undo the damage. ANd
that's why I asked, in that I wanna undo the damage.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
^ ^ 10:31:02 up 3 days 19:14 3 users load average: 3.02 2.82 2.51
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
> No. The Security Account Manager (SAM) database on an instance of
> Windows is more then a file to open. So one running instance on your PC
> cannot access the SAM in the other operating system. If you want true
> cross instance security management then you need to a move to a domain
> model with Windows Servers building a shared directory service for all
> machines and operating system instances, an Active Directory. (No you
> cannot "run" an Active Directory in a client PC OS like XP or Vista, it
> is a server only function)
> Bascially within a running OS that is in a workgroup or none networked
> environment the only security principals it has access to are those in
> its own SAM and for other systems to access files or folder secured
> using NTFS ACLs then you need to use account objects such as Guest or
> Everyone etc


It's just my PC, so I would not set up a domain/AD server. Besides, I am
using Linux as a home server+router.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
^ ^ 10:32:01 up 3 days 19:15 3 users load average: 2.80 2.80 2.52
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vi[$]ta
> Well it lacks respect.

Vi$ta is not cheap. Definitely not free as Linux. For me, it's just a
name. Did you know some people nicknamed Window$ as "WinTendo"? In fact,
at home, my 64-bit Vi$ta is more like a game console.

> As regards your Vista Ultimate becoming like Windows ME - there is no
> possibility of that. Windows ME was a dead end product at the end of
> the Win 9x product line. Windows Vista is the ongoing development of
> the NT desktop operating lineage from Windows NT via Windows 2000 and
> Windows XP to where we are today and onward to Windows 7 and future
> releases. All effectively built on generational models of the kernel
> (with some backports and cross development from the server team) and
> ongoing security tightening and innovation. So Windows 7 takes all the
> work on Vista and continues to move it forward, so it is worth noting
> that anyone thinking it will be easier to go from XP to Windows 7 then
> from XP to Vista is going to be sadly mistaken as the underlying
> security hardening that has caused issues with drivers and application
> compatibility between XP and Vista is still there under the cover of
> Windows 7, so the best and easiest migration will actually be from Vista
> to Windows 7.
> So no, your Windows Vista will not end up like ME.


I skipped WinMe back then. I think others could skip Vi$ta as well.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
^ ^ 10:34:01 up 3 days 19:17 3 users load average: 2.57 2.70 2.51
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2008
Jimmy Brush
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding XP in another partition users into Vi$ta
Can you be more specific as to what you did? You removed the administrator
account from where - permission or owner? Which folder(s), did you create
them or are they system folders?

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uI5UudzLJHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> I STRONGLY CAUTION you to not change the owner of files created in
>> another Windows installation. This could really muck things up.

>
> Too late. I did it, in that I removed the Administrator accounts from that
> folder. And it seems that it's quite hard to undo the damage. ANd that's
> why I asked, in that I wanna undo the damage.
>
> --
> @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
> ^ ^ 10:31:02 up 3 days 19:14 3 users load average: 3.02 2.82 2.51
> ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):
> http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restore bitlocker partition data without correct partition table ? HappyadminDE microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 0 09-15-2008 13:38
Catastrophic failure adding users Marcello Gorlani microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 09-10-2008 14:19
Vista client does not show local users for adding permission on sh Hoa microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 10-31-2007 23:48
adding certain priveledges to standard users Heidi H. microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 06-22-2007 05:07
Dual Boot - Adding XP & Partition mj sdgsd microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 03-29-2007 14:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120