it is sufficient to uninstall Norton Internet Security in the control panel folder??/

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

srishti

it is sufficient to uninstall Norton Internet Security in the control panel folder??/

i have installed Nod32 antivirus in my computer. i have uninstalled
norton internet security program by going into the control panel folder.
is it sufficient?
security system shows that currently there are two firewalls present in
my computer- windows and NIS. what am i supposed to do?

--
srishti
bling

Re: it is sufficient to uninstall Norton Internet Security in the control panel folder??/

well if you are completely sure u uninstalled nis then u can disable it

--
bling
Malke

srishti wrote:

> i have installed Nod32 antivirus in my computer. i have uninstalled
> norton internet security program by going into the control panel folder.
> is it sufficient?
> security system shows that currently there are two firewalls present in
> my computer- windows and NIS. what am i supposed to do?

Sometimes it's sufficient and sometimes it's not. ;-) Run the Norton removal
tool and see if that takes care of the issue for you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Kayman

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:47:43 -0500, srishti wrote:

> i have installed Nod32 antivirus in my computer. i have uninstalled
> norton internet security program by going into the control panel folder.
> is it sufficient?

No, it is not!

> security system shows that currently there are two firewalls present in
> my computer- windows and NIS. what am i supposed to do?

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool:
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003
products and Norton 360 from your computer.

While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
go to:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of
NIS breakes the networking components in XP to the point where internet
access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Good luck
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: it is sufficient to uninstall Norton Internet Security in the control panel folder??/
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:47:43 -0500, srishti <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

> i have installed Nod32 antivirus in my computer. i have uninstalled
> norton internet security program

Good. NOD32 is a much better choice than Norton.

> by going into the control panel folder.
> is it sufficient?

Apparently not, based on what you say below.

> security system shows that currently there are two firewalls present in
> my computer- windows and NIS. what am i supposed to do?

Running two software firewalls at once is not a good thing to do. You
achieve no extra protection, you incur the extra overhead of running
two firewalls, and you run the risk (probably small, but not zero) of
conflicts between them.

Follow the instructions of Malke and Kayman to be sure you have
actually removed all the Norton software.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Jim

wrote:

>i have installed Nod32 antivirus in my computer. i have uninstalled
>norton internet security program by going into the control panel folder.
>is it sufficient?
>security system shows that currently there are two firewalls present in
>my computer- windows and NIS. what am i supposed to do?

Google for uninstall Norton and go from there .