Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ashapadmanabhan

Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?

Hi

Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
change in Windows Vista.
I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
available with Icacls.

Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
Vista.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Asha

--
ashapadmanabhan
Mr. Arnold

Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?

"ashapadmanabhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753525.aspx

Maybe, you need to read this stuff on how Vista protects itself from users
by using UAC, Virtualization and WRP.

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx>
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/Admin-Approval-Mode-in-Windows-Vista-45312.shtml>
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138019.aspx>
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160882.aspx>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503.aspx>

ashapadmanabhan

Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?

Thank you for your message,

In our customer environment, most of the users are administrators for
some purpose.
So we want to particularly restrict this registry hive.

Regards,
Asha

--
ashapadmanabhan
Jimmy Brush

Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Hello,

icacls does not work on registry keys.

However, regini.exe does and is included with Vista, but it is not as
powerful or easy to use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264584

- JB

"ashapadmanabhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Regards,
> Asha
>

> --
> ashapadmanabhan

ashapadmanabhan

Jimmy Brush;732443 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> icacls does not work on registry keys.
>
> However, regini.exe does and is included with Vista, but it is not as
> powerful or easy to use.
>
> 'How to change registry values or permissions from a command line or a
> script' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264584)
>
> - JB
>

> "ashapadmanabhan" guest@unknown-email.com wrote in message
>
> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In
> XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Regards,
> Asha
>

> --
> ashapadmanabhan -

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

To deny a specific registry hive for users is not able to do with
regini.exe.

If you have the command please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Asha

--
ashapadmanabhan
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
I asked you some questions in the other nearly identical post you made,
please check that.

But I also need to tell you something here. Your intention of stopping local
administrators from accessing something is misguided. If a user logs on as a
local administrator, then he/she can completely undo whatever restrictions
you put in place.

Why do your users need to be local admins? What is the "some purpose"?

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com