Can't turn off Windows Defender

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Sandy Wood

Can't turn off Windows Defender
Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as our
AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this thing
off?
--
Sandy Wood
Orange County District Attorney
Beoweolf

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender

"Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as
> our
> AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
> Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
> definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
> Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this
> thing
> off?
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

It appears there is a group policy setting, either at the local or domain
level, which is overriding your manual disable at your workstation/PC. If
you are not the system administrator, then bring this issue to their
solution where Windows Defender is a good, but limited solution best suited
for SOHO users that can't, won't or don't want to make a conscious effort,
responsibility for their own data protection. Its a good product, its just
limited in scope and manageability.

There are ways to suppress Windows Defender, in the case where a more
comprehensive solution is in place. It would seem, from your post, that the
sys admin staff may have missed a step.

As I suggested, take this up with your sys admin staff, if you are having
this problem, I'm guessing others are too. For a little background reading,
follow the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927367

Beoweolf

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
Not knowing the extent of your domain Group policy controls, I could also
suggest going through "Control Panel"?

.....If you have access to "services", did you already try to disable it.
"services (local)" > Windows Defender > properties > disabled OK > exit?

"Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as
> our
> AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
> Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
> definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
> Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this
> thing
> off?
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

Sandy Wood

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
Thanks for the response. I've looked through and double-checked the group
policies applied to my machine (I'm the admin for my machine and the domain)
and the RSOP doesn't show anything Windows Defender related. I do have the
requisite Forefront policy settings in group policy (I'm also the Forefront
admin) but from what I can see they don't include any Windows Defender
settings from what I can see.

Thanks for the link to the Windows Defender Group Policy template article.
Looks like I should consider adding a GPO to disable Windows Defender on our
Vista machines as this is a step that Microsoft left out.

Appreciate the help and tips.
--

"Beoweolf" wrote:

> "Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as
> > our
> > AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
> > Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
> > definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
> > Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this
> > thing
> > off?
> > --
> > Sandy Wood
> > Orange County District Attorney

> It appears there is a group policy setting, either at the local or domain
> level, which is overriding your manual disable at your workstation/PC. If
> you are not the system administrator, then bring this issue to their
> solution where Windows Defender is a good, but limited solution best suited
> for SOHO users that can't, won't or don't want to make a conscious effort,
> responsibility for their own data protection. Its a good product, its just
> limited in scope and manageability.
>
> There are ways to suppress Windows Defender, in the case where a more
> comprehensive solution is in place. It would seem, from your post, that the
> sys admin staff may have missed a step.
>
> As I suggested, take this up with your sys admin staff, if you are having
> this problem, I'm guessing others are too. For a little background reading,
> follow the link below.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927367

Sandy Wood

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
Yes, I was considering that as an option. As we are just beginning to move
towards replacing our XP SP3 fleet of machines with Vista, I'd like to
develop a plan to idealling 'uninstall' Windows Defender before installing
the Forefront Client. That would seem to be the cleanest solution. I suppose
I could set the service to Disabled or create a GPO to disable it but removal
would work the best for us in our environment.
--

"Beoweolf" wrote:

> Not knowing the extent of your domain Group policy controls, I could also
> suggest going through "Control Panel"?
>
> ....If you have access to "services", did you already try to disable it.
> "services (local)" > Windows Defender > properties > disabled OK > exit?
>

> "Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as
> > our
> > AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
> > Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
> > definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
> > Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this
> > thing
> > off?
> > --
> > Sandy Wood
> > Orange County District Attorney

Mr GRiM

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender

Just type msconfig in the search bar and go to start up and disable it
from there that's how I did it.

--
Mr GRiM
Paul Montgomery

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:57:02 -0700, Sandy Wood <sandy.wood@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I was considering that as an option. As we are just beginning to move
>towards replacing our XP SP3 fleet of machines with Vista, I'd like to
>develop a plan to idealling 'uninstall' Windows Defender before installing
>the Forefront Client. That would seem to be the cleanest solution. I suppose
>I could set the service to Disabled or create a GPO to disable it but removal
>would work the best for us in our environment.

You can disable it (in Administrative Services) but I don't believe
that you can uninstall it in Vista. In XP, yes, but not in Vista.
Sandy Wood

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
Looks like disabling the service is the way to go. We've added this change to
our base Vista Enterprise image.
--

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:57:02 -0700, Sandy Wood <sandy.wood@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I was considering that as an option. As we are just beginning to move
> >towards replacing our XP SP3 fleet of machines with Vista, I'd like to
> >develop a plan to idealling 'uninstall' Windows Defender before installing
> >the Forefront Client. That would seem to be the cleanest solution. I suppose
> >I could set the service to Disabled or create a GPO to disable it but removal
> >would work the best for us in our environment.

> You can disable it (in Administrative Services) but I don't believe
> that you can uninstall it in Vista. In XP, yes, but not in Vista.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
Perhaps this link might be useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927367

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Enterprise SP1. We're running ForeFront Client Security as
> our
> AV / Spyware app. Each morning after I start my system up. the Windows
> Defender icon appears in the tray with a note that I need to check for new
> definitions. Since we're running Forefront, I turn off Windows Defender in
> Tools > Options. The next day it's enabled again. How can I turn this
> thing
> off?
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

Sandy Wood

Re: Can't turn off Windows Defender
I imagine that disabling Windows Defender in a GPO would be a far better
practive than hard setting the service. Thanks for the link!