write protect error exception processing message

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tangram

write protect error exception processing message

Hi,

I`m getting this error message when playing music from an external
drive(OS is Ultimate x64):

write protect error exception processing message 0xc00000a2

I searched the error code and came up with this:

0xC00000A2 STATUS_MEDIA_WRITE_PROTECTED
{Write Protect Error} The disk cannot be written to because it is
write-protected. Remove the write protection from the volume %hs in
drive %hs.

This really puzzels me...the external hdd where I keep my mp3s is a WD
MyBook and doesn`t have write protection..I tried disabling UAC and the
error still appears. Tried using media player instead of winamp, same
thing. I have another MyBook with movies on it and it doesn`t give this
error when i play them.

Does anyone know a solution to fix this ? Other than this error
message, when I try playing music, the drive works flawless so I don`t
thinks it`s a hardware issue...

Thanks,

--
Tangram
hourglass_eyes

RE: write protect error exception processing message

"Tangram" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I`m getting this error message when playing music from an external
> drive(OS is Ultimate x64):
>
> write protect error exception processing message 0xc00000a2
>
> I searched the error code and came up with this:
>
> 0xC00000A2 STATUS_MEDIA_WRITE_PROTECTED
> {Write Protect Error} The disk cannot be written to because it is
> write-protected. Remove the write protection from the volume %hs in
> drive %hs.
>
> This really puzzels me...the external hdd where I keep my mp3s is a WD
> MyBook and doesn`t have write protection..I tried disabling UAC and the
> error still appears. Tried using media player instead of winamp, same
> thing. I have another MyBook with movies on it and it doesn`t give this
> error when i play them.
>

> Does anyone know a solution to fix this ? Other than this error
> message, when I try playing music, the drive works flawless so I don`t
> thinks it`s a hardware issue...
>

> Thanks,
>

> --
> Tangram

I am experiencing the same problem with a WD 1TB notebook. It has become
very frustrating. When I first connected the EHD it worked perfectly then
all the sudden it was write protected. I have uninstalled Norton AV thinking
that was protecting it because it thought there was a virus on it. Was
scanned before and after problem. Detected no virus but I was trying
anything. I've used restore points sometimes they work for a power cycle,
sometimes two but it always write protects the drive sooner or later. I've
changed the owner to administrators, when it wasn't write protected and I was
able to, I've changed permissions to full control for everyone.
I'm about to set this CP on fire and send it back. Any help would be
GREATLY appreciated.
Tangram

Re: write protect error exception processing message

I found a temporary solution to my problem. I moved the mp3s, formated
the drive and put movies on it. Until now it worked fine and gave no
errors. I don't know if this issue is drive content-related..don`t have
the test capability either but for me it worked.

--
Tangram
hourglass_eyes

Re: write protect error exception processing message
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I may even redo the CP hard drive if
this doesn't work also. I'll write back and let you know how it goes.