Vista Network Location Awareness and DUN

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Remy

Vista Network Location Awareness and DUN
I have a client who is about to deploy Vista to its business and one of its
legacy desktop apps is a client dialler which uses DUN to connect to server
services. The application works but NLA kicks in upon connection. The users
of the application can only select the PUBLIC profile and what we would like
is to bypass this prompt in the first place since it can only lead to
confusion. I have had a look at the Firewall Policy and can't see anything
there which would allow us to say "whenever this DUN connection is made" or
"whenever a remote interface is connected" apply the public profile without
prompt.

Given that the profile being assigned is the most restrictive I was hoping
there would be a way to bypass the NLA prompt?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Remy
Remy

RE: Vista Network Location Awareness and DUN
Lots of messages without replies, seems like this isn't a particularly good
resource..

"Remy" wrote:

> I have a client who is about to deploy Vista to its business and one of its
> legacy desktop apps is a client dialler which uses DUN to connect to server
> services. The application works but NLA kicks in upon connection. The users
> of the application can only select the PUBLIC profile and what we would like
> is to bypass this prompt in the first place since it can only lead to
> confusion. I have had a look at the Firewall Policy and can't see anything
> there which would allow us to say "whenever this DUN connection is made" or
> "whenever a remote interface is connected" apply the public profile without
> prompt.
>
> Given that the profile being assigned is the most restrictive I was hoping
> there would be a way to bypass the NLA prompt?
>
> All thoughts gratefully received.
>
> Remy

Zaphod Beeblebrox

"Remy" <Remy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Remy" wrote:
>
>> I have a client who is about to deploy Vista to its business and one
>> of its
>> legacy desktop apps is a client dialler which uses DUN to connect to
>> server
>> services. The application works but NLA kicks in upon connection. The
>> users
>> of the application can only select the PUBLIC profile and what we
>> would like
>> is to bypass this prompt in the first place since it can only lead to
>> confusion. I have had a look at the Firewall Policy and can't see
>> anything
>> there which would allow us to say "whenever this DUN connection is
>> made" or
>> "whenever a remote interface is connected" apply the public profile
>> without
>> prompt.
>>
>> Given that the profile being assigned is the most restrictive I was
>> hoping
>> there would be a way to bypass the NLA prompt?
>>
>> All thoughts gratefully received.
>>
>> Remy

> Lots of messages without replies, seems like this isn't a particularly
> good
> resource..

You might have better luck in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing since this sounds like
it is as much of a networking issue as a security issue.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something
big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.