KB953838 won't install in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Russ

KB953838 won't install in Vista
I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm running
Vista Home Premium and this update will not install.

I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the Gateway
discs and then updated Vista with everything I could (including SP1) before
wouldn't install. It keeps popping up and trying to install, but it won't.
It gets to 11% and then bombs with the very descriptive message "Code
80073715 Window Update encountered an unknown error." I've even tried
downloading the update from Microsoft as a standalone package but either I
got the wrong hotfix, or it still doesn't work as it tells me the hotfix
doesn't apply to my system.

Someone please confirm that I need this update, or if not, tell me how to
get my machine to ignore it. I clear the checkbox on the update, but it just
sits there in the system tray, taunting me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul Montgomery

Re: KB953838 won't install in Vista
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:23:00 -0700, Russ
<Russ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm running
>Vista Home Premium and this update will not install.

Because it's for IE6.

http://tinyurl.com/4r6s5j
SIW2

Russ;852179 Wrote:
> I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm
> running
> Vista Home Premium and this update will not install.
>
> I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the
> Gateway
> discs and then updated Vista with everything I could (including SP1)
> before
> thing that
> wouldn't install. It keeps popping up and trying to install, but it
> won't.
> It gets to 11% and then bombs with the very descriptive message "Code
> 80073715 Window Update encountered an unknown error." I've even
> tried
> downloading the update from Microsoft as a standalone package but
> either I
> got the wrong hotfix, or it still doesn't work as it tells me the
> hotfix
> doesn't apply to my system.
>
> Someone please confirm that I need this update, or if not, tell me how
> get my machine to ignore it. I clear the checkbox on the update, but
> it just
> sits there in the system tray, taunting me.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Russ,

Just looked thru my list of updates - don't think I have that one (
unless I missed seeing it )

These tutorials may be of help

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...-updating.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...ws-update.html

It's also worth checking you have the latest version of WUAgent

'How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help
manage updates on a computer' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Paul Montgomery" <i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:23:00 -0700, Russ
> <Russ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I've seen the threads about KB953838 not installing under XP. I'm running
>>Vista Home Premium and this update will not install.

> Because it's for IE6.

Where did you get such an idea?
It's for Vista and a whole bunch of other Windows versions. But that
doesn't help Russ.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

pooch

--
pooch
SIW2

--
SIW2
barman58

Re: KB953838 won't install in Vista

As an interesting sideline to this thread...

I did a search on the KB953838 and the first MS hit I found was this

'Download details: Cumulative Security Update for *Internet Explorer 6
SP1* (KB953838)
'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

so could this be causing confusion as there is more than one Hotfix
applying to more than one application and os

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
pooch

Re: KB953838 won't install in Vista

Hi Pooch,

Any idea why I haven't been offered this update?

Thanks

SW2

Er! No
Funny though, as I got it

--
pooch
pooch

barman58;852460 Wrote:
> As an interesting sideline to this thread...
>
> I did a search on the KB953838 and the first MS hit I found was this
>
> 'Download details: Cumulative Security Update for *Internet Explorer 6
> SP1* (KB953838)
> '
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
>
> so could this be causing confusion as there is more than one Hotfix
> applying to more than one application and os

Could be, I found info for IE 6,7 and 8 also for xp as well as vista

--
pooch
pooch

Re: KB953838 won't install in Vista

Sorry for the delay I just had to switch to my desktop, hope you can
read this

|Filename: 01.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=7041 |

pooch