recovering deleted files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

rtdavide@yahoo.com

recovering deleted files
hello,
i deleted some files i'd like to have back.
i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or
trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me
the option to narrow the searches down to when i deleted the files. so
they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i
want.

these are files that i removed even from the recycle bin, but within
less than a month ago. some of the files the software has been finding
were from months ago or even longer... any software to narrow it down
to specific dates, or a range?

thanks
John Barnett MVP

Re: recovering deleted files
When you accidentally delete files you 'stop' using the computer immediately
and straightaway initiate any file deletion software you have installed.

When a file is deleted it isn't actually 'removed' from the hard drive; to
put it simply a note is attached to the file to say it has been deleted and
the area can be reused by another file. The longer you leave it before you
try to recover that file the more likely it is that the file 'area' will be
overwritten, thus making full recovery impossible - well without incurring
considerable cost, anyway.

From your post you are saying that some of the files were deleted up to a
month ago. The chances of you recovering these is very slim indeed.

The file recovery application I favour is Recuva (www.recuva.com)

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

<rtdavide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hello,
> i deleted some files i'd like to have back.
> i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or
> trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me
> the option to narrow the searches down to when i deleted the files. so
> they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i
> want.
>
> these are files that i removed even from the recycle bin, but within
> less than a month ago. some of the files the software has been finding
> were from months ago or even longer... any software to narrow it down
> to specific dates, or a range?
>
> thanks

Mike

Re: recovering deleted files
Here's another free ntfs recover tool. Don't know if you can select by
dates.
http://ntfsundelete.com/

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> When you accidentally delete files you 'stop' using the computer
> immediately and straightaway initiate any file deletion software you have
> installed.
>
> When a file is deleted it isn't actually 'removed' from the hard drive; to
> put it simply a note is attached to the file to say it has been deleted
> and the area can be reused by another file. The longer you leave it before
> you try to recover that file the more likely it is that the file 'area'
> will be overwritten, thus making full recovery impossible - well without
> incurring considerable cost, anyway.
>
> From your post you are saying that some of the files were deleted up to a
> month ago. The chances of you recovering these is very slim indeed.
>
> The file recovery application I favour is Recuva (www.recuva.com)

> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
> the
> mail/post..
>
> <rtdavide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> hello,
>> i deleted some files i'd like to have back.
>> i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or
>> trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me
>> the option to narrow the searches down to when i deleted the files. so
>> they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i
>> want.
>>
>> these are files that i removed even from the recycle bin, but within
>> less than a month ago. some of the files the software has been finding
>> were from months ago or even longer... any software to narrow it down
>> to specific dates, or a range?
>>
>> thanks

rtdavide@yahoo.com

Re: recovering deleted files
too late for all that.... i deleted them at the time on purpose.
didn't think i'd need them anymore. then changed my mind a few days
ago. so i get what you are saying about the way deletion works. it is
very well possible the files are currently unrecoverable.
it wasn't, thankfully, anything mission critical.

On Oct 2, 12:03*pm, "John Barnett MVP" <freela...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> When you accidentally delete files you 'stop' using the computer immediately
> and straightaway initiate any file deletion software you have installed.
>
> When a file is deleted it isn't actually 'removed' from the hard drive; to
> put it simply a note is attached to the file to say it has been deleted and
> the area can be reused by another file. The longer you leave it before you
> try to recover that file the more likely it is that the file 'area' will be
> overwritten, thus making full recovery impossible - well without incurring
> considerable cost, anyway.
>
> From your post you are saying that some of the files were deleted up to a
> month ago. The chances of you recovering these is very slim indeed.
>
> The file recovery application I favour is Recuva (www.recuva.com)

Gordon

> too late for all that.... i deleted them at the time on purpose.
> didn't think i'd need them anymore. then changed my mind a few days
> ago. so i get what you are saying about the way deletion works. it is
> very well possible the files are currently unrecoverable.
> it wasn't, thankfully, anything mission critical.

Recover from a backup possibly?

John Barnett MVP

Re: recovering deleted files
It is annoying when you delete a file only to find, at a later date, that
you actually shouldn't have deleted it. Fortunately your file wasn't mission
critical and you have, through the process, learnt a very important lesson
regarding what happens when files are deleted. We all delete files we didn't
mean to, yes even me, but the best plan of attack is either to attempt a
recovery as soon as you realise your mistake, or get into the habit of
backing up your documents on a regular basis; at least then you have a
backup of the file you originally deleted.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

<rtdavide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> too late for all that.... i deleted them at the time on purpose.
> didn't think i'd need them anymore. then changed my mind a few days
> ago. so i get what you are saying about the way deletion works. it is
> very well possible the files are currently unrecoverable.
> it wasn't, thankfully, anything mission critical.
>
> On Oct 2, 12:03 pm, "John Barnett MVP" <freela...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> When you accidentally delete files you 'stop' using the computer
>> immediately
>> and straightaway initiate any file deletion software you have installed.
>>
>> When a file is deleted it isn't actually 'removed' from the hard drive;
>> put it simply a note is attached to the file to say it has been deleted
>> and
>> the area can be reused by another file. The longer you leave it before
>> you
>> try to recover that file the more likely it is that the file 'area' will
>> be
>> overwritten, thus making full recovery impossible - well without
>> incurring
>> considerable cost, anyway.
>>
>> From your post you are saying that some of the files were deleted up to a
>> month ago. The chances of you recovering these is very slim indeed.
>>
>> The file recovery application I favour is Recuva (www.recuva.com)

Sergey Wasilenkow

Re: recovering deleted files
> ideletedsomefilesi'd like to have back.
> i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or
> trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me
> the option to narrow the searches down to when ideletedthefiles. so
> they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i
> want.
>
> these arefilesthat i removed even from the recycle bin, but within
> less than a month ago. some of thefilesthe software has been finding
> were from months ago or even longer... any software to narrow it down
> to specific dates, or a range?

You can try to recover your files with Easy File Undelete software:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software
either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.
SIW2

rtdavide;850954 Wrote:
> hello,
> i deleted some files i'd like to have back.
> i know pretty much what day i did it and i've used several free or
> trial versions of file restoration software, but none some to give me
> the option to narrow the searches down to when i deleted the files. so
> they take a long time and i'm not sure if they are even finding what i
> want.
>
> these are files that i removed even from the recycle bin, but within
> less than a month ago. some of the files the software has been finding
> were from months ago or even longer... any software to narrow it down
> to specific dates, or a range?
> thanks

Hi,

Glaryundelete gives a choice of date/range and other filters.
It's a free app. from 'Glary Undelete'
(http://www.glarysoft.com/gun.html)

Hope it helps

SIW2