help please

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

donna2

help please

My computer has been hacked. I have done scans etc but nothing shows up.
I have read about rootkits and have tried to download a checker but
nothing seems to work with vista. What would be my next step in trying
to identify the problem?
Thanks

--
donna2
Malke

Re: help please
donna2 wrote:

> My computer has been hacked. I have done scans etc but nothing shows up.
> I have read about rootkits and have tried to download a checker but
> nothing seems to work with vista. What would be my next step in trying
> to identify the problem?
> Thanks

You haven't provided us with any good information. We don't know what
antivirus/security software you have installed, how you connect to the
Internet, what makes you think you've been hacked (Internet or locally or
both?), or exactly what you've done.

Please clarify in your next post so we don't send you on any wild goose
chases.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

donna2

Re: help please

Apologies, I'm a complete novice when it comes to computer security!
I have outpost pro firewall, avg and spybot. Wireless broadband using a
linksys router. I know my computer is compromised as the hacker has
posted passwords on a site I use.
All scans come up as fine and I have tried using a rootkit detector but
they seem to conflict with vista for some reason.

If it is a rootkit, would doing a system restore to a date prior to the
hacker get rid of the problem?

--
donna2
Malke

Re: help please
donna2 wrote:

> Apologies, I'm a complete novice when it comes to computer security!
> I have outpost pro firewall, avg and spybot. Wireless broadband using a
> linksys router. I know my computer is compromised as the hacker has
> posted passwords on a site I use.
> All scans come up as fine and I have tried using a rootkit detector but
> they seem to conflict with vista for some reason.
>
> If it is a rootkit, would doing a system restore to a date prior to the
> hacker get rid of the problem?

Without being able to see the machine, I can't say whether you are really
hacked or were just a victim of social engineering or the like. I would
have a computer professional take a look. I don't recommend using a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. If you don't want to do this,
then consider backing up your data and doing a clean install of Windows.

Then think about your computer's security. How did "the hacker" get into
your computer? Is this someone you know? A roommate? Did you click on
something in an IM message? Is your wireless network set up securely? I
hope you see where I'm going with this. If you have security
vulnerabilities and/or don't practice "Safe Hex", you will soon be infected
again.

Malke