Microsoft to sue 'SCAREWARE' pushers

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Kayman

Microsoft to sue 'SCAREWARE' pushers
Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers

"Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."

[quote]
The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software
called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of
Sunbelt Software."
[unquote]

You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for commenting
on this issue!

In his website:
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
He claims:
[quote]
The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it gives
you a false sense of security."
[unquote]

(Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different view).

His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous and is
not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!

The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to fool
the inexperienced!

Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie :-))!

MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!
MAP

Re: Microsoft to sue 'SCAREWARE' pushers
Kayman wrote:
> Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
> http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers
>
> "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."
>
> [quote]
> The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software
> called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of
> Sunbelt Software."
> [unquote]
>
> You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for
> commenting on this issue!
>
> In his website:
> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
> He claims:
> [quote]
> The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it
> gives you a false sense of security."
> [unquote]
>
> (Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different
> view).
>
> His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous
> and is not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!
>
> The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to
> fool the inexperienced!
>
> Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie :-))!
>
> MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!

Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall which by
the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both incoming and
outgoing traffic, IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing
wrong with Sunbelts statment.

--
Mike Pawlak

Kayman

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:24:08 -0400, MAP wrote:

> Kayman wrote:
>> Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
>> http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers
>>
>> "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."
>>
>> [quote]
>> The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software
>> called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of
>> Sunbelt Software."
>> [unquote]
>>
>> You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for
>> commenting on this issue!
>>
>> In his website:
>> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
>> He claims:
>> [quote]
>> The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it
>> gives you a false sense of security."
>> [unquote]
>>
>> (Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different
>> view).
>>
>> His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous
>> and is not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!
>>
>> The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to
>> fool the inexperienced!
>>
>> Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie :-))!
>>
>> MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!

> Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall which by
> the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both incoming and
> outgoing traffic,

Software firewalls that advertise they can stop malicious outbound traffic
are, as outbound control on a XP platform as a security measure against
malware is utter nonsense!

> IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing wrong with
> Sunbelts statment.

Your will change your opinion if you're willing to educate yourself.
Instead reading and believing all that hype created by these software
manufacturers, study and try to comprehend publications authored by well
respected (and unbiased) Internet security experts.

Kayman wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:24:08 -0400, MAP wrote:
>
>> Kayman wrote:
>>> Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
>>> http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers
>>>
>>> "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."
>>>
>>> [quote]
>>> The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is
>>> software called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry,
>>> president of Sunbelt Software."
>>> [unquote]
>>>
>>> You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for
>>> commenting on this issue!
>>>
>>> In his website:
>>> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
>>> He claims:
>>> [quote]
>>> The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it
>>> gives you a false sense of security."
>>> [unquote]
>>>
>>> (Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different
>>> view).
>>>
>>> His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous
>>> and is not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!
>>>
>>> The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to
>>> fool the inexperienced!
>>>
>>> Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie
>>> :-))!
>>>
>>> MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!

>> Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall
>> which by the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both
>> incoming and outgoing traffic,

> Software firewalls that advertise they can stop malicious outbound
> traffic are, as outbound control on a XP platform as a security
> measure against malware is utter nonsense!
>
>> IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing wrong with
>> Sunbelts statment.

> Your will change your opinion if you're willing to educate yourself.
> Instead reading and believing all that hype created by these software
> manufacturers, study and try to comprehend publications authored by
> well respected (and unbiased) Internet security experts.

Do you mean articles like this one?
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/fire.../aa081804b.htm
or perhaps this one-Very scary( near the bottom of the page.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...2005/mar13.php

No in reguards to the second link you may ask who is this guy?
Mike Healan the webmaster was one of the very first to pffer any help in
reguard to malware. He seems to have moved on (good for him) but what he
says is gospel.

From his site.

About the owner/editor/webmaster
Mike Healan
Currently, I am a writer. I have published articles for Intermute, Lavasoft,
and DogReader. Several web sites and email newsletters have also republished
existing articles of mine with my permission.

I am also starting to work as a software consultant. Unfortunately, for
legal reasons, I am unable to say for which companies.

I am an administrator at the TomCoyote message boards. I also volunteer at
several other message boards devoted to privacy and/or security. For a
period of time, I was an administrator at the Lavasoft Support Forums, the
official support site for Lavasoft's Ad-aware.

I am formerly an OP (moderator) for the Lockergnome IRC chat room, as well
as several other chat rooms.

Their are many more links but this will suffice, who should I believe the
Experts or you?

Have a nice day!

--
Mike Pawlak

Kayman

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 05:15:15 -0400, MAP wrote:

> Kayman wrote:

>>> Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall
>>> which by the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both
>>> incoming and outgoing traffic,

>> Software firewalls that advertise they can stop malicious outbound
>> traffic are, as outbound control on a XP platform as a security
>> measure against malware is utter nonsense!
>>
>>> IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing wrong with
>>> Sunbelts statment.

>> Your will change your opinion if you're willing to educate yourself.
>> Instead reading and believing all that hype created by these software
>> manufacturers, study and try to comprehend publications authored by
>> well respected (and unbiased) Internet security experts.

> Do you mean articles like this one?
> http://netsecurity.about.com/od/fire.../aa081804b.htm
> or perhaps this one-Very scary( near the bottom of the page.
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...2005/mar13.php
>
> No in reguards to the second link you may ask who is this guy?
> Mike Healan the webmaster was one of the very first to pffer any help in
> reguard to malware. He seems to have moved on (good for him) but what he
> says is gospel.
>
> From his site.
>
> About the owner/editor/webmaster
> Mike Healan
> Currently, I am a writer. I have published articles for Intermute, Lavasoft,
> and DogReader. Several web sites and email newsletters have also republished
> existing articles of mine with my permission.
>
> I am also starting to work as a software consultant. Unfortunately, for
> legal reasons, I am unable to say for which companies.
>
> I am an administrator at the TomCoyote message boards. I also volunteer at
> several other message boards devoted to privacy and/or security. For a
> period of time, I was an administrator at the Lavasoft Support Forums, the
> official support site for Lavasoft's Ad-aware.
>
> I am formerly an OP (moderator) for the Lockergnome IRC chat room, as well
> as several other chat rooms.
> Their are many more links but this will suffice, who should I believe the
> Experts or you?
> Have a nice day!

You have to get your facts right before getting sarcastic!
I am *advocating* to go with the experts! All you dig up are imposters!
The drivel you provided are commercially supported publications and or
forum postings, when printed out, not even worth to consider as toilet
tissues as the paper would smear...! These publications are a breeding
ground for all these Illusion Ware, uninformed users like you are falling
for it...marketing does its job, oh well. Your (so-called experts LOL)
moderators are either biased or completely incompetent when it comes to
Internet Security! They are writers who are trying to make a buck...an easy
one as it seems. Their in-depth knowledge of the NT/Vista operating system
is appalling, in fact it is non-existent!
Now, before you dig yourself in an even deeper hole, I'd kindly suggest, if
your comprehension ability is intact, to conduct some *serious* research,
do some earnest reading and discard that mind-contaminating tabloid
garbage; Unless of course you are a representative of one of these software
manufacturers.

Kayman wrote:
> [...]

> to consider as toilet tissues as the paper would smear...! These
> publications are a breeding ground for all these Illusion Ware,
> uninformed users like you are falling for it...marketing does its
> job, oh well. Your (so-called experts LOL) moderators are either
> biased or completely incompetent when it comes to Internet Security!
> They are writers who are trying to make a buck...an easy one as it
> seems. Their in-depth knowledge of the NT/Vista operating system is
> appalling, in fact it is non-existent!
> Now, before you dig yourself in an even deeper hole, I'd kindly
> suggest, if your comprehension ability is intact, to conduct some
> *serious* research, do some earnest reading and discard that
> mind-contaminating tabloid garbage; Unless of course you are a
> representative of one of these software manufacturers.

This one is completly free, where is the buck to be made?
http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall...-software.html

I haven't been here in awhile your not that idiot PCButts are you?

--
Mike Pawlak

FromTheRafters

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Kayman wrote:
>> Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
>> http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers
>>
>> "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."
>>
>> [quote]
>> The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software
>> called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of
>> Sunbelt Software."
>> [unquote]
>>
>> You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for
>> commenting on this issue!
>>
>> In his website:
>> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
>> He claims:
>> [quote]
>> The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it
>> gives you a false sense of security."
>> [unquote]
>>
>> (Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different
>> view).
>>
>> His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous
>> and is not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!
>>
>> The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to
>> fool the inexperienced!
>>
>> Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie :-))!
>>
>> MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!

> Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall which by
> the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both incoming and
> outgoing traffic, IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing
> wrong with Sunbelts statment.

First, one would have to 'buy in' to the notion that you *need*
this feature in the name of *security*. It is a defeatist attitude
that you allow malware to execute and then try to mitigate what
happens next.

I wouldn't hire a bodyguard based solely on his EMT skills, but
that's just me.

Michael D. Ober

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:24:08 -0400, MAP wrote:
>
> Software firewalls that advertise they can stop malicious outbound traffic
> are, as outbound control on a XP platform as a security measure against
> malware is utter nonsense!

OK - what about spambots. Having software to block unauthorized outbound
SMTP connections would be a very good thing as this would eliminate a lot of
the SPAM that gets sent.

Mike Ober.

Kayman

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:45:13 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Kayman wrote:
>>> Microsoft, Washington state to sue 'scareware' pushers
>>> http://www.itworld.com/security/5542...reware-pushers
>>>
>>> "Microsoft and Washington state are cracking down on scammers..."
>>>
>>> [quote]
>>> The most prevalent scareware program in circulation today is software
>>> called Antivirus XP 2008, according to Alex Eckelberry, president of
>>> Sunbelt Software."
>>> [unquote]
>>>
>>> You have to admire Alex Eckelberry's arrogance and the nerve for
>>> commenting on this issue!
>>>
>>> In his website:
>>> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/
>>> He claims:
>>> [quote]
>>> The Windows Firewall (both XP and Vista) is worse than useless, it
>>> gives you a false sense of security."
>>> [unquote]
>>>
>>> (Although it is a fact that his software engineers have a different
>>> view).
>>>
>>> His assertion in relation to both WinXP and Vista F/W is ridiculous
>>> and is not based on facts; It is misleading the uninformed users!
>>>
>>> The false advertising (hype) is nothing but a deceptive technique to
>>> fool the inexperienced!
>>>
>>> Therefore, it *is* Scareware as well (besides it's a blatant lie :-))!
>>>
>>> MSFT, please take note and initiate appropriate action!

>> Sunbelt by the way provides a free version of their firewall which by
>> the way is better than the one on XP since it monitors both incoming and
>> outgoing traffic, IMHO since their is a "free" version their is nothing
>> wrong with Sunbelts statment.

> First, one would have to 'buy in' to the notion that you *need*
> this feature in the name of *security*. It is a defeatist attitude
> that you allow malware to execute and then try to mitigate what
> happens next.

Precisely, prevention is the key! Attempting to block outbound unapproved
traffic provides no additional security whatsoever, but is often used as a
selling point by vendors who either do not understand security, or are
trying to make money by misleading customers! Sadly, many IT experts and
forum moderators etc. seem not to understand the issue either.

Dr. Jesper M. Johannson wrote quite some educational material concerning
this and other (Internet) security issues. (I wonder if A. Eckelberry would
enter into a discussion with him).
Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc510323.aspx

Note the scenario in relation to: "...the proverbial naked dancing pigs".

Bob I

Michael D. Ober wrote:

> "Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
>
>> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:24:08 -0400, MAP wrote:
>>
>> Software firewalls that advertise they can stop malicious outbound
>> traffic
>> are, as outbound control on a XP platform as a security measure against
>> malware is utter nonsense!
>>

> OK - what about spambots. Having software to block unauthorized
> outbound SMTP connections would be a very good thing as this would
> eliminate a lot of the SPAM that gets sent.
>
> Mike Ober.

Unfortunately, once the novice user allows the machine to be
compromised, then the malware simply disables outbound monitoring, and
all you are left with is a compromised PC and a false sense of security.