Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Patrick Whittle

Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my WEP
key in Vista?

Malke

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
Patrick Whittle wrote:

> Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my
> WEP key in Vista?

Yes, it's possible. You can copy it from your router's configuration screen
or use this easy, free utility from Nirsoft:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

The wireless network manager in Vista will let you know that there are
available wireless networks. Find yours and when you try to connect it will
ask you for the key. Paste it in. Some OEM wireless network managers have a
place where you can set Profiles, too. You will have to look at what you've
got installed.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Paul Montgomery

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:43:23 -0400, "Patrick Whittle"
<patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my WEP
>key in Vista?

Gotta type it.
Malke

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
Paul Montgomery wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:43:23 -0400, "Patrick Whittle"
> <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my
>>WEP key in Vista?

> Gotta type it.

Actually, no. Use this for a free and extremely easy way:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Paul Montgomery

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:59:51 -0500, Paul Montgomery
<i.m.nonnymous@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:43:23 -0400, "Patrick Whittle"
><patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my WEP
>>key in Vista?

>Gotta type it.

My bad :-\
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
Another way is to use Windows Connect Now and save everything off to a flash
drive.

http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx

If the router does not have a USB port or supports WCN you can easily
copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and navigating to
the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file and copying the key to the wireless access
point/router or client.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it not posible to copy a WEP key via copy&paste? Where do I paste my
> WEP
> key in Vista?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Network Key (WEP/WPA Key)
I forgot to add that I highly recommend dumping WEP and using WPA2/WPA, ie.
what ever all your clients and the router support. Use a long random key.
Personally I use WPA2-Personal with a 63-character random ASCII key. Here
are my general wireless security guidelines for home users...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html