All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access denie

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Bugkiller

All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access denie
I suddenly cannot write files to any removable media device (USB flash, 3.5"
floppy disk or CD-R-DVD-R).

Onset of this was: Copied file from desktop to USB flash drive fine. Did
nothing else with that drive and made no system changes in following week.
Then tried to copy additional file to the drive a week later and could not. I
get the 'need permission' and UAC messages, respond appropriately but that
does not work and I get the "Try Again" msg.

Tried other flash drives, new and used, floppy disks and DVD writer all with
no joy.

Help please.
Beoweolf

Re: All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access denie
Is computer connected to Domain, workgroup or standalone. You need to check
the settings.

Removable storage access (enable/disable) Group policy object

"Bugkiller" <Bugkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I suddenly cannot write files to any removable media device (USB flash,
>3.5"
> floppy disk or CD-R-DVD-R).
>
> Onset of this was: Copied file from desktop to USB flash drive fine. Did
> nothing else with that drive and made no system changes in following week.
> Then tried to copy additional file to the drive a week later and could
> not. I
> get the 'need permission' and UAC messages, respond appropriately but that
> does not work and I get the "Try Again" msg.
>
> Tried other flash drives, new and used, floppy disks and DVD writer all
> with
> no joy.
>
> Help please.

Bugkiller

Re: All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access d
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Computer is in a workgroup. Have looked for removable storage access
settings in the Local Group Policy Object and using RegEdit (based on the
info in the VistaGPSettings.xls info) and I find nothing. Could you please
advise more specifically where to find this object to set. TY

"Beoweolf" wrote:

> Is computer connected to Domain, workgroup or standalone. You need to check
> the settings.
>
> Removable storage access (enable/disable) Group policy object
>
> "Bugkiller" <Bugkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I suddenly cannot write files to any removable media device (USB flash,
> >3.5"
> > floppy disk or CD-R-DVD-R).
> >
> > Onset of this was: Copied file from desktop to USB flash drive fine. Did
> > nothing else with that drive and made no system changes in following week.
> > Then tried to copy additional file to the drive a week later and could
> > not. I
> > get the 'need permission' and UAC messages, respond appropriately but that
> > does not work and I get the "Try Again" msg.
> >
> > Tried other flash drives, new and used, floppy disks and DVD writer all
> > with
> > no joy.
> >
> > Help please.

Beoweolf

Re: All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access d
from "Start" > run > MMC >
file > add/remove > select Group policy editor > OK
local computer policy > computer configuration > Administrative Templates
System > Removable Storage Access > All Removable Storage class: Deny all
access
Properties....

Note: as always this information is the responsibility of the user to employ
or not.

Configure access to all removable storage classes.

This policy setting takes precedence over any individual removable storage
policy settings. To manage individual classes, use the policy settings
available for each class. If you enable this policy setting, no access is
allowed to any removable storage class. If you disable or do not configure
this policy setting, write and read accesses are allowed to all removable
storage classes.

> Thanks for the quick feedback.
>
> Computer is in a workgroup. Have looked for removable storage access
> settings in the Local Group Policy Object and using RegEdit (based on the
> info in the VistaGPSettings.xls info) and I find nothing. Could you please
> advise more specifically where to find this object to set. TY
>
> "Beoweolf" wrote:
>
>> Is computer connected to Domain, workgroup or standalone. You need to
>> check
>> the settings.
>>
>> Removable storage access (enable/disable) Group policy object
>>
>> "Bugkiller" <Bugkiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I suddenly cannot write files to any removable media device (USB flash,
>> >3.5"
>> > floppy disk or CD-R-DVD-R).
>> >
>> > Onset of this was: Copied file from desktop to USB flash drive fine.
>> > Did
>> > nothing else with that drive and made no system changes in following
>> > week.
>> > Then tried to copy additional file to the drive a week later and could
>> > not. I
>> > get the 'need permission' and UAC messages, respond appropriately but
>> > that
>> > does not work and I get the "Try Again" msg.
>> >
>> > Tried other flash drives, new and used, floppy disks and DVD writer all
>> > with
>> > no joy.
>> >
>> > Help please.

Bugkiller

Re: All removable media "Windows Vista destination folder access d
Sorry but still not working. All properties under both Computer Configuration
& User Configuration > Removable Storage Access were initially set as Not
Configured.

I first set the Computer Configuration ... All Removable Storage class: Deny
all write access property to Disabled and rebooted. No joy. Then did the same
for User Configuration. Ditto. And Disabled the individual device Deny Write
Access as well and rebooted. Again, no joy.

One thing I did discover before trying any of this is that I could write to
CD-R media after all, but not to DVD-R, floppy disk or USB flash.