Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

techenthu

Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?

Hi,

I have an application which i need to install in the the Program files
and launch at the startup.With UAC enabled, I install it as an
administrator,it works fine and launches at the start up when i log off
and log in again as an admin.But,when i log in as a normal user i have
to always "Run as an Administrator" and provide the admin password for
launching it , which i dont want to do.

When I disable the UAC ,the application does not even start as a normal
user it just says "Applicatoin has stopped working" and gives
System.UnAuthorisedException.

I need the application in the Program files itself and cannot move it
to some other user folder.

I need to know if there is a way to run an application as a normal user
without providing the admin password.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

--
techenthu
Brink

Re: Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?

techenthu;845780 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application which i need to install in the the Program files
> and launch at the startup.With UAC enabled, I install it as an
> administrator,it works fine and launches at the start up when i log off
> and log in again as an admin.But,when i log in as a normal user i have
> to always "Run as an Administrator" and provide the admin password for
> launching it , which i dont want to do.
>
> When I disable the UAC ,the application does not even start as a normal
> user it just says "Applicatoin has stopped working" and gives
> System.UnAuthorisedException.
>
> I need the application in the Program files itself and cannot move it
> to some other user folder.
>
> I need to know if there is a way to run an application as a normal user
> without providing the admin password.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hello Techenthu,

You might create a task in Task Scheduler to have that program run at
startup instead. This tutorial will help show you how to if needed. It
will avoid the UAC problem at startup.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/16...-computer.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Paul Montgumdrop

techenthu wrote:

> I need to know if there is a way to run an application as a normal user
> without providing the admin password.

No, if the program needs its rights escalated to run at the moment
privilege escalation with admin rights and the account is a non Admin
account being used to run the program, then the non admin user must give
an user-id and psw to a admin account at the time of privileged escalation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc138019.aspx

Now you can the Task Scheduler to start the program, but still Task
Schsduler will run the task with the highest privileges it can archive.
techenthu

Re: Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?

Thanks Shawn!!

The application comes as a package and when i run the setup file it
goes and sits in the program files and is launched at the startup. I do
not want to alter this behaviour.

what i did,
I have disabled the UAC and have changed the attributes settings of the
entire folder so that it is not "Read Only" now ,with this i am able to
start the application as a standard user and it does not even prompt for
the admin password , though it reduces the security of my system

Problem now,
The application in turns starts another services which needs to
allocate memory and now i get "Cannot acess memory at location .... "
and it crashes the internal services and when i debug it points me to
some part of code in new.cpp files

any idea what needs to be done ?

--
techenthu
techenthu

techenthu;845915 Wrote:
> Thanks Shawn!!
>
> The application comes as a package and when i run the setup file it
> goes and sits in the program files and is launched at the startup. I do
> not want to alter this behaviour.
>
> what i did,
> I have disabled the UAC and have changed the attributes settings of the
> entire folder so that it is not "Read Only" now ,with this i am able to
> start the application as a standard user and it does not even prompt for
> the admin password , though it reduces the security of my system
>
> Problem now,
> The application in turns starts another services which needs to
> allocate memory and now i get "Cannot acess memory at location .... "
> and it crashes the internal services and when i debug it points me to
> some part of code in new.cpp files
>
> any idea what needs to be done ?

The error message i get is "Access violation reading location
0x00000000"

--
techenthu
Brink

Re: Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?

Techenthu,

Have you tried to see if it that startup program will run better at
startup as a task instead of from the startup programs list?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

techenthu wrote:

>> Problem now,
>> The application in turns starts another services which needs to
>> allocate memory and now i get "Cannot acess memory at location .... "
>> and it crashes the internal services and when i debug it points me to
>> some part of code in new.cpp files
>>
>> any idea what needs to be done ?

Let's see here. The program will not run and blows-up when UAC is
disabled, because the program is a Vista UAC compliant program. And at
some point in you trek to get this program to work, it has clearly told
you about the *System.UnAuthorisedException*.

It works when UAC is enabled, because with UAC enabled, it allows the
program to use the Administrator Full Rights security token to escalate
its rights to perform a needed task within the program. It's a Vista UAC
compliant program.

So basically, you're right back at square one
*System.UnAuthorisedException*, because permissions cannot be set for
the program.

Bruce Chambers

techenthu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application which i need to install in the the Program files
> and launch at the startup.With UAC enabled, I install it as an
> administrator,it works fine and launches at the start up when i log off
> and log in again as an admin.But,when i log in as a normal user i have
> to always "Run as an Administrator" and provide the admin password for
> launching it , which i dont want to do.
>
> When I disable the UAC ,the application does not even start as a normal
> user it just says "Applicatoin has stopped working" and gives
> System.UnAuthorisedException.
>
> I need the application in the Program files itself and cannot move it
> to some other user folder.
>
> I need to know if there is a way to run an application as a normal user
> without providing the admin password.

Basically, you're trying to use an application that was not designed to
run securely, or to be used on a secure OS. That might make it
dangerous (Can't say for sure, since you've kept the application's name
and purpose to yourself.) to use.

For proper resolution, you'd have to ask that application's
manufacturer if they have a patch or upgrade available to make it
Vista-compatible.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Wayne

Re: Why do i always need to "Run as an Admin"?
Bruce,

I am right there with you. I was going to ask if the software program was
Vista Compatible or when it was made. There are a couple of other options
he has. I was presuming it was vista compatible because it would run with
UAC turned on.

However,

1. Install the program and run the program in compatibility mode. This may
get your around the UAC issue. If you need to know how to run compatibility
mode, please come to my forum and post the question. I will be more than
happy to write it out for you. (Just don't have the time right now as it is
3am almost). www.scrfix.com/computer-repair-forums/

2. Set the security permissions on the programs and all files within the
programs directory and all dll files associated with the program to full
security permissions allowing access to everything. (This is a major
security issue however it is still an option). This will take all
restrictions off of all of the files associated with the program. We know
the program runs with admin privileges... lets give the program
administrative privileges. Onces again, post the question in my forum and I
will be more than happy to write you step by step instructions for it.

Hope that helps.

Wayne

"techenthu" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I have an application which i need to install in the the Program files
> and launch at the startup.With UAC enabled, I install it as an
> administrator,it works fine and launches at the start up when i log off
> and log in again as an admin.But,when i log in as a normal user i have
> to always "Run as an Administrator" and provide the admin password for
> launching it , which i dont want to do.
>
> When I disable the UAC ,the application does not even start as a normal
> user it just says "Applicatoin has stopped working" and gives
> System.UnAuthorisedException.
>
> I need the application in the Program files itself and cannot move it
> to some other user folder.
>
> I need to know if there is a way to run an application as a normal user
> without providing the admin password.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>

> --
> techenthu

FromTheRafters

"Wayne" <www.scrfix.com@www.scrfix.com> wrote in message
newsE56659A-9733-4D87-B685-BC8B249DC47D@microsoft.com...

> I was presuming it was vista compatible because it would run with
> UAC turned on.

With UAC on, virtualization is provided for legacy programs.
With UAC off, some legacy programs won't work correctly.

....so a program working with UAC on is not an indication that
the program is Vista compatible.