Administrator Password from Standard Account

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

James Colbert

Administrator Password from Standard Account
Toshiba M305D-S4831 laptop
Vista HP 64bit

Today, from my standard user account, I found that I was unable to get past
the UAC password prompt to allow Avast definition updates.

I provide the right pw, but the pw dialog returns with the error:

"Login failure: Unknown username or bad password."

I can log in to the admin account with the same pw without problem, and I
haven't had any similar issues until today. I tried rebooting, but no
difference. It also occurs when trying to run True Image from the standard
account. The first indication of trouble was that I couldn't log into the
standard account (all the same pw for setup). I then successfully logged
into the admin acct., switched users and was able to login to standard acct.
Tried updating the AV defs immediately. All worked fine last night.

Thanks, and any info appreciated,
James

James Colbert

Re: Administrator Password from Standard Account - Update
I restored the system to 24hrs earlier and the problem has gone away. The
only change in that period (that I can remember) is a Windows Update, but if
I remember correctly, the update was just Defender definitions. So the casue
of the issue is still unknown, but at least I'm up and running.

James