Admin rights

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

HarrietSMeyers

Admin rights
I have just upgraded from windows xp to windows vista home premium 32
..There is some kind of issue whenever I try to access a folder.It asks for
permissions and in some cases even with the permission it still won't
allow access.Is there a way that I can correct the admin. rights for all
files and folders?I am the Adm. but for some reason the computer doesn't
know this.
Thanks for any help.
Malke

Re: Admin rights
HarrietSMeyers wrote:

> I have just upgraded from windows xp to windows vista home premium 32
> .There is some kind of issue whenever I try to access a folder.It asks for
> permissions and in some cases even with the permission it still won't
> allow access.Is there a way that I can correct the admin. rights for all
> files and folders?I am the Adm. but for some reason the computer doesn't
> know this.
> Thanks for any help.
> --

You need to tell us what folders you are trying to access. If the folders
start with "My.." as in "My Documents", etc. then those are junction
points, virtualized folders there for backwards compatibility.

More information from you will help us help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

+Bob+

Re: Admin rights
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:19:44 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>HarrietSMeyers wrote:
>
>> I have just upgraded from windows xp to windows vista home premium 32
>> .There is some kind of issue whenever I try to access a folder.It asks for
>> permissions and in some cases even with the permission it still won't
>> allow access.Is there a way that I can correct the admin. rights for all
>> files and folders?I am the Adm. but for some reason the computer doesn't
>> know this.
>> Thanks for any help.
>> --

>You need to tell us what folders you are trying to access. If the folders
>start with "My.." as in "My Documents", etc. then those are junction
>points, virtualized folders there for backwards compatibility.
>
>More information from you will help us help you.
>
>Malke

Or, an easier way: Start Explorer, go to the C: drive root, and take
ownership of all files on the drive. Note that MS will tell you this
reduces security, although the point is highly arguable.
Malke

Re: Admin rights
+Bob+ wrote:

> Or, an easier way: Start Explorer, go to the C: drive root, and take
> ownership of all files on the drive. Note that MS will tell you this
> reduces security, although the point is highly arguable.

The point isn't arguable at all. It *does* reduce security. Also it is
completely unnecessary if the OP was trying to access junction points
instead of real directories. Since she hasn't come back and it is now 5
days later, I doubt we'll ever know. It's a good rule of thumb to never do
the most drastic solution when a simple one will suffice. Also it is a good
idea when troubleshooting to not do a drastic solution when there is
insufficient data.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gordon

Re: Admin rights
"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:19:44 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>HarrietSMeyers wrote:
>>
>>> I have just upgraded from windows xp to windows vista home premium 32
>>> .There is some kind of issue whenever I try to access a folder.It asks
>>> for
>>> permissions and in some cases even with the permission it still won't
>>> allow access.Is there a way that I can correct the admin. rights for all
>>> files and folders?I am the Adm. but for some reason the computer doesn't
>>> know this.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>> --

>>You need to tell us what folders you are trying to access. If the folders
>>start with "My.." as in "My Documents", etc. then those are junction
>>points, virtualized folders there for backwards compatibility.
>>
>>More information from you will help us help you.
>>
>>Malke

> Or, an easier way: Start Explorer, go to the C: drive root, and take
> ownership of all files on the drive. Note that MS will tell you this
> reduces security, although the point is highly arguable.

Not at all - if the OP is trying to access "Documents and Settings" then
even with the taking ownership of all files, the OP will STILL not be able
at access that "folder" because it ain't a folder at all - it's a junction
point.
Let's wait and see what the OP is trying to access - if we ever do.