Installing Access 97 on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Chris Barnes

Installing Access 97 on Vista
A google search of this topic showed some discussions of this exact
problem, but nothing about how to actually solve the problem.

I have a user who needs to run Access97 on their brand new Vista
computer (Enterprise - but I don't think that matters). At the end of
the installation (setup.exe run as Administrator), I get an error that says
"an error occurred at changing the workgroup database
SETUP couldn't create a system.mdw file. Reboot your computer and
run Workgroup Administrator before you run the application"

So I did that (as Administrator).

Nada.

Copied a System.mdw file from another machine and put it in a directory
called "C:\Apps\Office97Extras\" and pointed to it using Workgroup Admin.

Still nada.

I am officially out of ideas. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?

(I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them
seemed appropriate for this question)

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
Paul Montgomery

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista

http://accessblog.net/2007/06/access-97-on-vista.html

>I have a user who needs to run Access97 on their brand new Vista
>computer (Enterprise - but I don't think that matters). At the end of
>the installation (setup.exe run as Administrator), I get an error that says
> "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database
> SETUP couldn't create a system.mdw file. Reboot your computer and
> run Workgroup Administrator before you run the application"
>
>So I did that (as Administrator).
>
>Nada.
>
>Copied a System.mdw file from another machine and put it in a directory
>called "C:\Apps\Office97Extras\" and pointed to it using Workgroup Admin.
>
>Still nada.
>

>I am officially out of ideas. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?
>

>(I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them
>seemed appropriate for this question)

DL

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista
Try cross post to an Access group

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:04:11 +0100, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:

>Try cross post to an Access group

Reading is a skill, DL (Dim Lamp?):

>> (I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them seemed
>> appropriate for this question)

DDW

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:04:11 +0100, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:

>Try cross post to an Access group

The OP looked for an appropriate Access group already and didn't find
one.

DDW
No email please
Beoweolf

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista
Did you check to see if Access 97 is compatible with Vista? The fact that it
shows an error related to \system files could be a hint that it may be time
to update your application to something slightly more current. Access 97,
obviously, is several iterations below Access 2007, in software years - that
is ancient.

Have you tried the "compatibility setting". I think you did, but had to
bring it up. Under compatibility I think there is setting which makes
suggestions on how to apply "shims" which you can use to fool the OS into
allowing the app to run?

If that didn't work - you may be able to do a a step migration. Install an
intermediate version of access, see if you can convert the program to run
under something like access 2000 or 2003 - then import it into access 2007.
Waiting is not always the best thing to do when it comes to custom
applications minus code. Not ragging on you you, just restating the obvious.

"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
>A google search of this topic showed some discussions of this exact
>problem, but nothing about how to actually solve the problem.
>
> I have a user who needs to run Access97 on their brand new Vista computer
> (Enterprise - but I don't think that matters). At the end of the
> installation (setup.exe run as Administrator), I get an error that says
> "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database
> SETUP couldn't create a system.mdw file. Reboot your computer and
> run Workgroup Administrator before you run the application"
>
> So I did that (as Administrator).
>
> Nada.
>
> Copied a System.mdw file from another machine and put it in a directory
> called "C:\Apps\Office97Extras\" and pointed to it using Workgroup Admin.
>
> Still nada.
>

> I am officially out of ideas. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?
>

> (I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them seemed
> appropriate for this question)
>
> --
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
> chris-barnes@tamu.edu Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Beoweolf

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista
try installing virtual PC 2007 on your vista system. Create a downgraded PC,
then install and run your application in that virtual OSE.

"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
>A google search of this topic showed some discussions of this exact
>problem, but nothing about how to actually solve the problem.
>
> I have a user who needs to run Access97 on their brand new Vista computer
> (Enterprise - but I don't think that matters). At the end of the
> installation (setup.exe run as Administrator), I get an error that says
> "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database
> SETUP couldn't create a system.mdw file. Reboot your computer and
> run Workgroup Administrator before you run the application"
>
> So I did that (as Administrator).
>
> Nada.
>
> Copied a System.mdw file from another machine and put it in a directory
> called "C:\Apps\Office97Extras\" and pointed to it using Workgroup Admin.
>
> Still nada.
>

> I am officially out of ideas. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?
>

> (I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them seemed
> appropriate for this question)
>
> --
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
> chris-barnes@tamu.edu Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Gordon

Re: Installing Access 97 on Vista
"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
>A google search of this topic showed some discussions of this exact
>problem, but nothing about how to actually solve the problem.
>
> I have a user who needs to run Access97 on their brand new Vista computer
> (Enterprise - but I don't think that matters). At the end of the
> installation (setup.exe run as Administrator), I get an error that says
> "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database
> SETUP couldn't create a system.mdw file. Reboot your computer and
> run Workgroup Administrator before you run the application"
>
> So I did that (as Administrator).
>
> Nada.
>
> Copied a System.mdw file from another machine and put it in a directory
> called "C:\Apps\Office97Extras\" and pointed to it using Workgroup Admin.
>
> Still nada.
>

> I am officially out of ideas. Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?

I would rather use Open Office Base (v 2.4 I think is current) than
something that is THAT old.....

Chris Barnes

DL wrote:
> Try cross post to an Access group
>
>> (I looked for an Access newsgroup to post this to, but none of them seemed
>> appropriate for this question)

Reading all the way to the end of the OP would be helpful...

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Beoweolf wrote:
> Did you check to see if Access 97 is compatible with Vista? The fact that it
> shows an error related to \system files could be a hint that it may be time
> to update your application to something slightly more current. Access 97,
> obviously, is several iterations below Access 2007, in software years - that
> is ancient.

A few years ago my wife and I bought some land and began building a
house we had been dreaming of for 20+ years. We were very involved in
every step of the process, doing ALOT of the work ourselves. But, not
being professional construction homebuilders, we still hired a
professional contractor to oversee everything (including the work we
did). His name was Jay. We became pretty good friends during the
process.

During the building, my wife would often ask "can we do such-and-such".

Jay always had the same answer: "Sure. All it takes it money".

So it is with upgrading custom apps written in Access 97. Could it be
updated to run in Access 2000,2002,2003,2007? Sure - all it would take
is the money to pay the programmers. And for a program that ran "just
fine" as it was, it just didn't make alot of sense to spend that money
when we didn't have to.

For the record, the entire app *is* being replaced (with QuickBooks -
which tells you what kind of app it is/was). But we still need to be
able to get into it for historical reasons.

All this to simply say this: if you can't answer the question being
asked (as others were able to do), keep your fingers off the keyboard.

--