Windows security Alerts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

WaynwS

Windows security Alerts
I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 installed. A couple of days ago, the
Windows security Alerts is on and Windows Security Center showed Windows
Defender is out of date. but after manual update, I received a message:
"There are no new definitions available to download for Windows." In Windows
Defender, it states Real-time protection is on and Definition version is
1.43.73.0 created on 9/4/2008.
I have tried someone's solution that posted in here by running verify
repository, but after I run winmgmt / verifyrepository, system responded
"WMI repository is consistent". So should I still run winmgmt
/salvagerepository at this point? Is there other way can fix this problem?
I had tried to search on the Microsoft website for answer with no success.
Could anybody help?

Wayne S

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows security Alerts
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

Go to the above page and download the latest defs from the links under
' Latest Definition Updates ' and *save* it.
Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
Now install the downloaded defs by running mpas-fe.exe [32-bit, x86
versions of Vista].
Did that get the defs installed ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

WaynwS wrote:

> I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 installed. A couple of days ago,
> the Windows security Alerts is on and Windows Security Center showed
> Windows Defender is out of date. but after manual update, I received a
> message: "There are no new definitions available to download for
> Windows." In Windows Defender, it states Real-time protection is on and
> Definition version is 1.43.73.0 created on 9/4/2008.
> I have tried someone's solution that posted in here by running verify
> repository, but after I run winmgmt / verifyrepository, system responded
> "WMI repository is consistent". So should I still run winmgmt
> /salvagerepository at this point? Is there other way can fix this
> problem? I had tried to search on the Microsoft website for answer with
> no success. Could anybody help?
>
> Wayne S

WaynwS

Re: Windows security Alerts
MowGreen,

Thank you so much!
That did it. I followed your instruction and it fixed the problem. It looked
like my Windows Defender didn't have the most updated version. But the auto
update function is set to be on, it should check for the updates everyday.
Does that mean, from now on, I need to check and update the Windows Defender
manually once for a while?

Wayne S

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx
>
> Go to the above page and download the latest defs from the links under
> ' Latest Definition Updates ' and *save* it.
> Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
> Now install the downloaded defs by running mpas-fe.exe [32-bit, x86
> versions of Vista].
> Did that get the defs installed ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> WaynwS wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 installed. A couple of days ago,
>> the Windows security Alerts is on and Windows Security Center showed
>> Windows Defender is out of date. but after manual update, I received a
>> message: "There are no new definitions available to download for
>> Windows." In Windows Defender, it states Real-time protection is on and
>> Definition version is 1.43.73.0 created on 9/4/2008.
>> I have tried someone's solution that posted in here by running verify
>> repository, but after I run winmgmt / verifyrepository, system responded
>> "WMI repository is consistent". So should I still run winmgmt
>> /salvagerepository at this point? Is there other way can fix this
>> problem? I had tried to search on the Microsoft website for answer with
>> no success. Could anybody help?
>>
>> Wayne S

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows security Alerts
I'm fairly certain that an automatic update for WD's defs will come out
either today or, tomorrow but at least by Friday. Let's see if that gets
downloaded and installed, Wayne.

Sometimes WD gets 'stuck' updating to the latest defs. Manually
installing defs sometimes resolves that issue.
3rd party security software can sometimes impede the proper download and
installation of said defs. Inconsistencies in certain components of
Vista due to said 3rd party software is not uncommon, especially if a
Norton product is involved.

You could attempt verifying the WMI depository to see if that's related
to this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY