windows defender pop up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

tinkroe

windows defender pop up

Help me please. I keep getting this pop up to purchase windows defender,
and every time I go out or try i should say to get on internet explorer
it keeps me from doing anything. I already have windows defender!!!
please how can i make the pop up go away so I can use my desktop. my pop
up blocker IS on!!!

--
tinkroe
mansrm81

Re: windows defender pop up

windows defender is free you should run your antivirus and scan for
viruses and also run you spyware program.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep
Malke

Re: windows defender pop up
tinkroe wrote:

> Help me please. I keep getting this pop up to purchase windows defender,
> and every time I go out or try i should say to get on internet explorer
> it keeps me from doing anything. I already have windows defender!!!
> please how can i make the pop up go away so I can use my desktop. my pop
> up blocker IS on!!!

Windows Defender doesn't do this. The popup is coming from another program,
probably one of the many rogue antispyware malware programs. See below for
general information about this.

*****
Your system is infected with a rogue antivirus program. It is called "rogue"
because it pretends to be A Good Guy but is really Evil. Do not pay them!

Look for your malware removal steps here:

Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

These may work for you and all may be well. However, in many cases the
computer will also be infected with Zlob and/or Vundo trojans and protected
by a rootkit. These machines are extremely difficult to clean.

If your machine is one of these cases, either get guided help at one of the
specialty forums below OR back up your data and do a clean install of
Windows. It is your choice. If you are unsure how to back up your data or
how to do a clean install, you can take your machine to a local computer
professional. I don't recommend using BigComputerStore/GeekSquad types of
places.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
*****
Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: windows defender pop up
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:14:49 -0500, tinkroe <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

> Help me please. I keep getting this pop up to purchase windows defender,

Windows Defender is free and doesn't pop up with any such message. If
you are getting such a popup, it's from a different product, and you
are *already* infected with it.

> and every time I go out or try i should say to get on internet explorer
> it keeps me from doing anything. I already have windows defender!!!
> please how can i make the pop up go away so I can use my desktop. my pop
> up blocker IS on!!!
>

> --
> tinkroe

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Mick Murphy

RE: windows defender pop up
You have been infected with Spyware/Malware.
Use the 2 Programs listed below to scan your computer and remove your problem.
My advice is to scan in Safe Mode.
All info below.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
Download.com, or Major Geeks.com

Download, install, and update.

Important re: Safe Mode
If you happen to find a problem that you can’t uninstall / delete, reboot
the computer, and go into Safe Mode.
To get into Safe mode, tap F8 right at Power On / Startup, and use UP arrow
key to get to Safe Mode from list of options, then hit ENTER.
RESCAN your computer with your Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D
while in Safe Mode.
--
Mad Mike

"tinkroe" wrote:

> Help me please. I keep getting this pop up to purchase windows defender,
> and every time I go out or try i should say to get on internet explorer
> it keeps me from doing anything. I already have windows defender!!!
> please how can i make the pop up go away so I can use my desktop. my pop
> up blocker IS on!!!
>

> --
> tinkroe

Paul Montgomery

Re: windows defender pop up
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:59:03 -0700, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>--
>Mad Mike

I like your new sig - AND the absence of your former orneriness!

Hope you can maintain it.
Mick Murphy

Re: windows defender pop up
Now, now Paul; don't start me!
We can even be in the same thread without arguing.
But remember, it always takes two.
--
Mad Mike