Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2008
ian.tiesdell@hotmail.co.uk
 

Posts: n/a
Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA
Hi

i have an excel workbook that opens an msquery to a SQL database in
auto_open macro. This is made available via Sharepoint to our users,
the problem is running it on a Vista PC. Tt work fine with the many
XP pc's in the company, unfortunately the CEO has Vista and it
doesn't
work (the trusted location is set in Excel)


i get the following errors


connection failed
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error:5
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
(Connect())
Connection failed
SQLState: '08001'
SQLServer Error 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not
exist
or access denied


it does exist and is error free because i tried the worksheet before
during and after tryng it on Vista


Any ideas / pointers would be much appreciated


Ian

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2008
Paul Montgumdrop
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA
ian.tiesdell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have an excel workbook that opens an msquery to a SQL database in
> auto_open macro. This is made available via Sharepoint to our users,
> the problem is running it on a Vista PC. Tt work fine with the many
> XP pc's in the company, unfortunately the CEO has Vista and it
> doesn't
> work (the trusted location is set in Excel)
>
>
> i get the following errors
>
>
> connection failed
> SQLState: '01000'
> SQL Server Error:5
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
> (Connect())
> Connection failed
> SQLState: '08001'
> SQLServer Error 17
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not
> exist
> or access denied
>
>
> it does exist and is error free because i tried the worksheet before
> during and after tryng it on Vista
>
>
> Any ideas / pointers would be much appreciated



I would say the Excel.exe is not running with Run As Administrator to
give it the needed privileges on Vista during a privileged escalation
process.

1) set the exe to run with Run As Administrator
2) turn UAC off
3) use the Super Administrator account on Vista to give the Admin full
rights, like it would have on XP when a Admin\user is running an
application on XP, look it up use Google.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008
ian.tiesdell@hotmail.co.uk
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA
On Sep 22, 9:24*am, Paul Montgumdrop <P...@Montgumdrop.com> wrote:
> ian.tiesd...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi

>
> > i have an excel workbook that opens an msquery to a SQL database in
> > auto_open macro. *This is made available via Sharepoint to our users,
> > the problem is running it on a Vista PC. *Tt work fine with the many
> > XP pc's in the company, unfortunately the CEO has Vista and it
> > doesn't
> > work (the trusted location is set in Excel)

>
> > i get the following errors

>
> > connection failed
> > SQLState: '01000'
> > SQL Server Error:5
> > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
> > (Connect())
> > Connection failed
> > SQLState: '08001'
> > SQLServer Error 17
> > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not
> > exist
> > or access denied

>
> > it does exist and is error free because i tried the worksheet before
> > during and after tryng it on Vista

>
> > Any ideas */ pointers would be much appreciated

>
> I would say the Excel.exe is not running with Run As Administrator to
> give it the needed privileges on Vista during a privileged escalation
> process.
>
> 1) set the exe to run with Run As Administrator
> 2) turn UAC off
> 3) use the Super Administrator account on Vista to give the Admin full
> rights, like it would have on XP when a Admin\user is running an
> application on XP, look it up use Google.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Many thanks for your speedy reply - i'll have a look at this (its the
only Vista desktop in the building but it is the CEO's)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2009
dmartincan's Avatar  

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
dmartincan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista - Msquery MsExcel and SQL data works in XP but not in VISTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.tiesdell@hotmail.co.uk View Post
On Sep 22, 9:24*am, Paul Montgumdrop <P...@Montgumdrop.com> wrote:
> ian.tiesd...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi

>
> > i have an excel workbook that opens an msquery to a SQL database in
> > auto_open macro. *This is made available via Sharepoint to our users,
> > the problem is running it on a Vista PC. *Tt work fine with the many
> > XP pc's in the company, unfortunately the CEO has Vista and it
> > doesn't
> > work (the trusted location is set in Excel)

>
> > i get the following errors

>
> > connection failed
> > SQLState: '01000'
> > SQL Server Error:5
> > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen
> > (Connect())
> > Connection failed
> > SQLState: '08001'
> > SQLServer Error 17
> > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not
> > exist
> > or access denied

>
> > it does exist and is error free because i tried the worksheet before
> > during and after tryng it on Vista

>
> > Any ideas */ pointers would be much appreciated

>
> I would say the Excel.exe is not running with Run As Administrator to
> give it the needed privileges on Vista during a privileged escalation
> process.
>
> 1) set the exe to run with Run As Administrator
> 2) turn UAC off
> 3) use the Super Administrator account on Vista to give the Admin full
> rights, like it would have on XP when a Admin\user is running an
> application on XP, look it up use Google.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Many thanks for your speedy reply - i'll have a look at this (its the
only Vista desktop in the building but it is the CEO's)
Hi - I have the same problem creating an ODBC connection from my Vista workstation to SQL 2005. It works in XP but not in Vista. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to read Works 4 .wps files in Vista [Works 9?] Mike Arnold microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 07-24-2009 09:00
Works 8.5 in Vista: "Microsoft Works has stopped working" Maggie472 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 01-11-2008 23:15
Article ID: 920724 Une image clipart vide d'art est insre dans un document de traitement de texte Works lorsque la version japonaise de Works 8.0 est installe sur un ordinateur Windows Vista Beta 2-based KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Article ID: 920724 Wenn auf einem Windows Vista Beta 2-based Computer die japanische Version von Works 8.0 installiert ist, wird in einem Works-Textverarbeitungsdokument ein leeres Clip-Artenbild eingefügt KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 920724 A blank clip art image is inserted in a Works Word Processor document when the Japanese version of Works 8.0 is installed on a Windows Vista Beta 2-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120