Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on sta

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

RandySh.

Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on sta
Hi,
Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a lock as
icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service" and
that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is no way
windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail on
changing the settings for my private home network to become visible. Please,
help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall of and
get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.
Beoweolf

Re: Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on sta
Question #1 - did you check the event log, as recommended? What information
does the event log provide?

Not using the native Microsoft firewall, out of frustration, does not bode
well for your being able to install or properly configure a 3rd party
application either.

The 'lock' is an indication that a security event was triggered or reported.
You really need to check the log, fix the reported issue before just
restarting the firewall over and over, something is wrong, there is an issue
that needs to be addressed.

"RandySh." <RandySh.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a lock
> as
> icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service"
> and
> that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
> computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
> details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is no
> way
> windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
> according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail on
> changing the settings for my private home network to become visible.
> Please,
> help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall of
> and
> get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.

RandySh.

Re: Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I have checked the event log with little
success, since there is so much information of little help to me, as I do not
understand the meaning of the information. One would hope that the
information was written/conveyed in a simpler language with practical
guidlines.

"Beoweolf" wrote:

> Question #1 - did you check the event log, as recommended? What information
> does the event log provide?
>
> Not using the native Microsoft firewall, out of frustration, does not bode
> well for your being able to install or properly configure a 3rd party
> application either.
>
> The 'lock' is an indication that a security event was triggered or reported.
> You really need to check the log, fix the reported issue before just
> restarting the firewall over and over, something is wrong, there is an issue
> that needs to be addressed.
>

> "RandySh." <RandySh.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a lock
> > as
> > icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service"
> > and
> > that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
> > computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
> > details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is no
> > way
> > windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
> > according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail on
> > changing the settings for my private home network to become visible.
> > Please,
> > help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall of
> > and
> > get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.

RandySh.

Re: Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on
I have now succeeded in finding the event log information related to my
problem:
"Certificate Services Client failed to register Group Policy Notifications".
Error code 2147944153. I will attempt to find an answer online on technet for
instance. Wish me luck! In the meantime, any suggestion is welcome.

"Beoweolf" wrote:

> Question #1 - did you check the event log, as recommended? What information
> does the event log provide?
>
> Not using the native Microsoft firewall, out of frustration, does not bode
> well for your being able to install or properly configure a 3rd party
> application either.
>
> The 'lock' is an indication that a security event was triggered or reported.
> You really need to check the log, fix the reported issue before just
> restarting the firewall over and over, something is wrong, there is an issue
> that needs to be addressed.
>

> "RandySh." <RandySh.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a lock
> > as
> > icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service"
> > and
> > that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
> > computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
> > details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is no
> > way
> > windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
> > according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail on
> > changing the settings for my private home network to become visible.
> > Please,
> > help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall of
> > and
> > get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.

Beoweolf

Re: Failure to automatically connect to "some Windows services" on
here's a hint...
note the time, run the FW, then open the event log and search for the time
you started the firewall. some of the things forward of the the time you
listed, should be related to the FW failure. Once you have an idea of the
failure codes you can use filtering to high light just what you are
interested in.

If you double click on the event error, you will be able to see a link in
the error listing, it will take you to possible online solutions and/or
articles which may address the issue or point to TechNet articles, fixes.

>I have now succeeded in finding the event log information related to my
> problem:
> "Certificate Services Client failed to register Group Policy
> Notifications".
> Error code 2147944153. I will attempt to find an answer online on technet
> for
> instance. Wish me luck! In the meantime, any suggestion is welcome.
>
> "Beoweolf" wrote:
>
>> Question #1 - did you check the event log, as recommended? What
>> information
>> does the event log provide?
>>
>> Not using the native Microsoft firewall, out of frustration, does not
>> bode
>> well for your being able to install or properly configure a 3rd party
>> application either.
>>
>> The 'lock' is an indication that a security event was triggered or
>> reported.
>> You really need to check the log, fix the reported issue before just
>> restarting the firewall over and over, something is wrong, there is an
>> issue
>> that needs to be addressed.
>>

>> "RandySh." <RandySh.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a
>> > lock
>> > as
>> > icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service"
>> > and
>> > that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
>> > computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
>> > details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is
>> > no
>> > way
>> > windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
>> > according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail
>> > on
>> > changing the settings for my private home network to become visible.
>> > Please,
>> > help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall
>> > of
>> > and
>> > get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

RandySh. wrote:
> I have now succeeded in finding the event log information related to my
> problem:
> "Certificate Services Client failed to register Group Policy Notifications".
> Error code 2147944153. I will attempt to find an answer online on technet for
> instance. Wish me luck! In the meantime, any suggestion is welcome.
>
> "Beoweolf" wrote:
>
>> Question #1 - did you check the event log, as recommended? What information
>> does the event log provide?
>>
>> Not using the native Microsoft firewall, out of frustration, does not bode
>> well for your being able to install or properly configure a 3rd party
>> application either.
>>
>> The 'lock' is an indication that a security event was triggered or reported.
>> You really need to check the log, fix the reported issue before just
>> restarting the firewall over and over, something is wrong, there is an issue
>> that needs to be addressed.
>>

>> "RandySh." <RandySh.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Every time I start my Vista Home Premium, I get the message (with a lock
>>> as
>>> icon) that "the computer failed to connect to a Windows remote service"
>>> and
>>> that "This leads to unlimited users not being able to connect to this
>>> computer." Then I get a suggestion to check the event log to read about
>>> details. Moreover, when i try to check my firewall settings, there is no
>>> way
>>> windows displayes them, but at the same time the firewall is running
>>> according to the "check this computers security settings". I also fail on
>>> changing the settings for my private home network to become visible.
>>> Please,
>>> help me figure this out. I am concidering turning the windows firewall of
>>> and
>>> get another firewall solution, although reluctantly.

Note the Event ID and source. Then go to http:\\eventid.net and see if
there is any information on your error...

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Larry Futrell

RandySh. wrote:
> I have now succeeded in finding the event log information related to my
> problem:
> "Certificate Services Client failed to register Group Policy
> Notifications". Error code 2147944153. I will attempt to find an answer
> online on technet for instance. Wish me luck! In the meantime, any
> suggestion is welcome.

2147944153 is 0x800706d9 which is an HRESULT, EPT_S_NOT_REGISTERED, which
has descriptive text in winerror.h "There are no more endpoints available
from the endpoint mapper."

Perhaps by searching on EPT_S_NOT_REGISTERED you will find more useful
information.

--
Larry Futrell