Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Security and Newsgroups

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Coogee
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Security and Newsgroups
New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up
OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the newsgroups
on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the
newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for
your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK, the
screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the correct
info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups. Whatever
I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. Tried
turning all the windows security options off that I could find, but still
can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
Coogee wrote:

> New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
> newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up
> OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the
> newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to
> log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password
> are correct for
> your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK,
> the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the
> correct
> info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups.
> Whatever I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server
> setup. Tried turning all the windows security options off that I could
> find, but still can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?


Which newsgroups and which NNTP server? If you are talking about one
provided by your ISP, then go to the ISP's website and double-check what
authorization is needed. It sounds like you aren't using the correct
information. For instance, my ISP (Comcast) uses a different authentication
for newsgroups than for email.

It would also help if you told us what newsreader you're using (Windows
Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Mr. Arnold
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

"Coogee" <coogee@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
news:uWYqB6TGJHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
> newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up
> OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the
> newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to
> log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password
> are correct for your mail server". After I enter user name and password,
> and click OK, the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am
> giving it the correct info, but will not accept, so can't begin to
> download newsgroups. Whatever I enter will change what's in the account
> screen for the server setup. Tried turning all the windows security
> options off that I could find, but still can't get past the security
> screen. Any advice on this?


Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold
that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with
repeated prompts asking for the credentials. You can be posting and it will
loose the credentials too, and it starts prompting.

The best way to fix this is to shutdown the newsreader, start it up again,
go to your account and give the credentials there to see if they will hold
permanently.

I have seen this problem on Vista for Outlook and POP3 where the
credentials are lost, and it keeps asking for the credentials and never
holds, until one goes back to the account to fix it.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Coogee
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.


"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
news:%23$x76mYGJHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "Coogee" <coogee@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> news:uWYqB6TGJHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
>> newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set
>> up OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the
>> newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to
>> log on to the newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password
>> are correct for your mail server". After I enter user name and password,
>> and click OK, the screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am
>> giving it the correct info, but will not accept, so can't begin to
>> download newsgroups. Whatever I enter will change what's in the account
>> screen for the server setup. Tried turning all the windows security
>> options off that I could find, but still can't get past the security
>> screen. Any advice on this?

>
> Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold
> that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with
> repeated prompts asking for the credentials. You can be posting and it
> will loose the credentials too, and it starts prompting.
>
> The best way to fix this is to shutdown the newsreader, start it up again,
> go to your account and give the credentials there to see if they will hold
> permanently.
>
> I have seen this problem on Vista for Outlook and POP3 where the
> credentials are lost, and it keeps asking for the credentials and never
> holds, until one goes back to the account to fix it.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Paul Adare - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:58:49 -0500, Coogee wrote:

> I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.


Then you need to go back to whomever the news provider is and work with
them. Some news servers (for example the ones that host the Microsoft
private news groups) require that the username be preceded by a domain name
- domainname\username.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
http://www.identit.ca
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Mr. Arnold
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

" Coogee" <coogee@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:6472318F-BA5B-49D0-BF39-5D6F1290B08F@microsoft.com...
>I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.



Well, you have actually shutdown the newsreader, you went to the account in
the newsreader, and you entered the credentials again, typing over the
existing credentials in the boxes. You may have to do it repeated times
there too before it will hold the credentials. But you giving them when
you're being prompted for the credentials is not going to work.

On there other hand, you could be giving the wrong credentials. I don't
know.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2008
Coogee
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
I have the same account set up on my desktop, which uses Win XP. So it's not
a matter of not knowing the correct names. The news server is ready to
download, except for that pesky Windows security popup.

"Paul Adare - MVP" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j4wlyb416daw$.1luliaasidhhi$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:58:49 -0500, Coogee wrote:
>
>> I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.

>
> Then you need to go back to whomever the news provider is and work with
> them. Some news servers (for example the ones that host the Microsoft
> private news groups) require that the username be preceded by a domain
> name
> - domainname\username.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
> http://www.identit.ca
> A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2008
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
Coogee wrote:
> New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
> newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set up
> OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the newsgroups
> on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me to log on to the
> newsgroups server- "verify that both username and password are correct for
> your mail server". After I enter user name and password, and click OK, the
> screen keeps popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the correct
> info, but will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups. Whatever
> I enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup. Tried
> turning all the windows security options off that I could find, but still
> can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?
>
>



Contact your ISP (or the whomever is hosting the news server to which
your trying to connect) to ascertain the correct settings for logging
into their server.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups
" Coogee" <coogee@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:6472318F-BA5B-49D0-BF39-5D6F1290B08F@microsoft.com...
>I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.
>


I have never known an ISP news server that requires the ISP customer TO
log-in. Are you SURE that your ISP's news server requires you to enter a
Username and Password?

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2008
FromTheRafters
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Security and Newsgroups

" Coogee" <coogee@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:6472318F-BA5B-49D0-BF39-5D6F1290B08F@microsoft.com...
>I have done this many, many times, and the results are still the same.
>
>
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
> news:%23$x76mYGJHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Coogee" <coogee@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>> news:uWYqB6TGJHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> New laptop with Vista. I'm the admin, only account. Trying to set up
>>> newsgroups from my news server, which requires me to log on. All is set
>>> up OK in the account screens. When I try to initially download the
>>> newsgroups on the server, up pops a Windows security notice, asking me
>>> to log on to the newsgroups server-


>>> "verify that both username and password are correct for your mail
>>> server".


Why is it asking about a mail server when you are
trying to configure a news server connection?

>>> After I enter user name and password, and click OK, the screen keeps
>>> popping up asking for same prompt. I am giving it the correct info, but
>>> will not accept, so can't begin to download newsgroups. Whatever I
>>> enter will change what's in the account screen for the server setup.
>>> Tried turning all the windows security options off that I could find,
>>> but still can't get past the security screen. Any advice on this?

>>
>> Well, if you're using Windows Mail as the newsreader, then WM won't hold
>> that user-id and psw at times, and it won't accept the credentials with
>> repeated prompts asking for the credentials. You can be posting and it
>> will loose the credentials too, and it starts prompting.
>>
>> The best way to fix this is to shutdown the newsreader, start it up
>> again, go to your account and give the credentials there to see if they
>> will hold permanently.
>>
>> I have seen this problem on Vista for Outlook and POP3 where the
>> credentials are lost, and it keeps asking for the credentials and never
>> holds, until one goes back to the account to fix it.
>>
>>

>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newsgroups in windows mail Maeve microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 09-29-2007 21:13
Windows Mail for Newsgroups only Rod Davies microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 04-06-2007 22:31
Windows mail for newsgroups ONLY!!! =?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFOb29C?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 63 03-22-2007 23:49
Security and Newsgroups Highspeed microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 02-04-2007 17:56
Windows Mail and Newsgroups FeKuLa microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 01-07-2007 23:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120