vista administrator privilages nightmare!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

leapfrog vista

vista administrator privilages nightmare!
this is crazy! it was working a few days ago and Im not sure what happened.

All I want to do is to restore thumbnails for pdf files with adobe reader 9
in windows explorer.
after installing - uninstalling and fiddling with reader 9, I have come to
the conclusion that
the problem arises from some administrative privileges on the registry.

I however am administrator, I try to register the
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDFShell.dll
with the regsvr32 command via a command line launched with administrator
privilages.... *right click, and run as administrator"

I get this very annoying message:

The module "PDFShell.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer
failed with the error code 0×80070005

WTF I am admin and I want to register the dll and I cant?

I went to that key in the registry and tried to fiddle with it to gain
permission, but the permissions seem fine...

I am doing something similar to what I find in this page, and im doing it
correctly but vista seems to not want to comply!

http://www.lorenheiny.com/2007/05/01...n-ie-try-this/

any ideas? this is super duper annoying

Paul Montgumdrop

Re: vista administrator privilages nightmare!
leapfrog vista wrote:
> this is crazy! it was working a few days ago and Im not sure what happened.
>
> All I want to do is to restore thumbnails for pdf files with adobe
> reader 9 in windows explorer.
> after installing - uninstalling and fiddling with reader 9, I have come
> to the conclusion that
> the problem arises from some administrative privileges on the registry.
>
> I however am administrator, I try to register the
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDFShell.dll
> with the regsvr32 command via a command line launched with administrator
> privilages.... *right click, and run as administrator"
>
> I get this very annoying message:
>
> The module "PDFShell.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer
> failed with the error code 0×80070005
>
> WTF I am admin and I want to register the dll and I cant?
>
> I went to that key in the registry and tried to fiddle with it to gain
> permission, but the permissions seem fine...
>
> I am doing something similar to what I find in this page, and im doing
> it correctly but vista seems to not want to comply!
>
> http://www.lorenheiny.com/2007/05/01...n-ie-try-this/
>

> any ideas? this is super duper annoying

Why don't you figure out how to use the Super Admin account that gives
you Full rights as it does on XP.

Theory of Everything

Re: vista administrator privilages nightmare!
> Why don't you figure out how to use the Super Admin account that gives you
> Full rights as it does on XP.

I already know that!!!

I (the OP) have enabled and logged into the super admin OF COURSE! But was
not able to fix the problem....

On XP adobe thumbnails work flawlessly or even if they don't work its
extremely easy to fix.

I formatted the horrible thing! Now its fixed!

Vista sucks.

Theory of Everything wrote:
>> Why don't you figure out how to use the Super Admin account that gives
>> you Full rights as it does on XP.

> I already know that!!!
>
> I (the OP) have enabled and logged into the super admin OF COURSE! But
> was not able to fix the problem....
>
> On XP adobe thumbnails work flawlessly or even if they don't work its
> extremely easy to fix.
>
> I formatted the horrible thing! Now its fixed!
>
> Vista sucks.

I think it's more like you didn't know what you were doing it seems. If
you can't figure it out, then format and run to something else, the
usual MO.
Theory of Everything

Re: vista administrator privilages nightmare!
hello idiot, nice to see you are your crappy self! I already know where the
problem lays, the solution is very similar to what you can read below, its
all about stupid vista and its stupid registry key permissions!
I could take the time and hunt for the registry keys for adobe reader too,
however I thought that formatting vista would give me
a lot more pleasure knowing that it will be erased from my hard drive.

SOLUTION:

The solution is to properly set the permissions on certain registry keys.

So how do I fix the problem?

You can do it manually or you could use the Windows Resource Kit tool to
help.

To fix it with the resource tool (6 steps):

step 1: download and install the Microsoft resource tool from here

step 2: Download the quicktime.cmd file here
http://rapidshare.com/files/144313715/quicktime.zip

OR copy all the text below and paste it in a new notpad txt file, and then
rename the file as quicktime.CMD

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTfile/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime.5
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils.1
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControl
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControl.1
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControlPropPage
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControlPropPage.1
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.CFObject
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.CFObject.1
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTMatrix
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTMatrix1
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils
/grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils.1
/grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTfile/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime.5
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils.1
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControl
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControl.1
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControlPropPage
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOControl.QTControlPropPage.1
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.CFObject /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.CFObject.1
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTMatrix /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTMatrix1
/grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils.1
/grant=users=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTfile/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.QuickTime.5
/grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QTOLibrary.QTUtils /grant=system=f
[...]

step 3: move that file you just made to THIS directory (folder) >>>

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

step 4: On windows, Go to start> Accessories > and right click on the
Command prompt icon and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

step 5: in the command line type this: cd C:\Program Files\Windows
Resource Kits\Tools

in order to navigate to the folder you placed that file

step 6: type quicktime.cmd inside the command prompt window and press enter
to launch the file you just created before...

you will see lots of lines scrolling in the command prompt fixing the
registry permissions.

Quicktime should work from now on.

> Theory of Everything wrote:
>>> Why don't you figure out how to use the Super Admin account that gives
>>> you Full rights as it does on XP.

>> I already know that!!!
>>
>> I (the OP) have enabled and logged into the super admin OF COURSE! But
>> was not able to fix the problem....
>>
>> On XP adobe thumbnails work flawlessly or even if they don't work its
>> extremely easy to fix.
>>
>> I formatted the horrible thing! Now its fixed!
>>
>> Vista sucks.
>>

> I think it's more like you didn't know what you were doing it seems. If
> you can't figure it out, then format and run to something else, the usual
> MO.

Paul Montgumdrop

Re: vista administrator privilages nightmare!
Theory of Everything wrote:

<snipped>

All I see here is the *theory* of a lunatic/maniac. You should have
formatted your brain and rebooted your mine. You go to the root of the
problem, *you*. :-P