3rd Party Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

3rd Party Firewall
I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?

Thanks,
James
Victek

Re: 3rd Party Firewall

> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Load the Security Center (in the Control Panel) to see if one or multiple
firewalls are running. I recommend you disable the Windows Firewall if your
suite includes one (so does Microsoft). FYI, Windows Defender is
antispyware (AS). Having more then one resident AS program is redundant and
may slow things down a little, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Bruce Chambers

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
JamesJ wrote:
> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?

Windows Defender isn't a firewall application, so it can't possibly
conflict in this manner.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
JamesJ

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
Security Center is reporting Windows Defender as being Off
but it still loads at startup?

James

> JamesJ wrote:
>> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
>> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
>> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
>> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?
>>

> Windows Defender isn't a firewall application, so it can't possibly
> conflict in this manner.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

JamesJ

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
Shows Windows Firewall being Off.

James

"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
>> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
>> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
>> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

> Load the Security Center (in the Control Panel) to see if one or multiple
> firewalls are running. I recommend you disable the Windows Firewall if
> your suite includes one (so does Microsoft). FYI, Windows Defender is
> antispyware (AS). Having more then one resident AS program is redundant
> and may slow things down a little, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

DL

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
It might help if you told us what AV/Spyware/Firewall you installed, & its
version

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Security Center is reporting Windows Defender as being Off
> but it still loads at startup?
>
> James
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> JamesJ wrote:
>>> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
>>> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
>>> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
>>> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?
>>>

>> Windows Defender isn't a firewall application, so it can't possibly
>> conflict in this manner.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
JamesJ wrote:
> I probably asked this before but please indulge me again.
> I recently installed an AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall software.
> Windows Defender loads at startup as does this other firewall.
> Is it ok to have both running? Should I disable one?
>
> Thanks,
> James

You should only have one anti-virus program and 1 firewall program
running at one time.

Defender is not a firewall program.... The descrioption is:

"Scan your computer for unwanted software, schedule scans, and get the
latest unwanted software definitions."

BTW, I disabled the Windows Defender service with no consequences....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
usmc_nam_vet

Re: 3rd Party Firewall

Trend micro has a scan for incompatable software before loading. Windows
Defender is one of those listed. I have run both at the same time and
did not have any complications, but also received no added bentifit as
Defender did not find any problems after running Trend Micro. I did
uninstalled Windows Defender as it removal does not effect any other
Microsoft program.

--
usmc_nam_vet
JamesJ

Re: 3rd Party Firewall
Webroot AntiVirus AntiSpyware
I just changed to enable Windows Firewall and uninstall the other.

James

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> It might help if you told us what AV/Spyware/Firewall you installed, & its
> version
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Security Center is reporting Windows Defender as being Off
>> but it still loads at startup?
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Windows Defender isn't a firewall application, so it can't possibly
>>> conflict in this manner.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bruce Chambers
>>>
>>> Help us help you:
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>>
>>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>>
>>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>>> Russell
>>>
>>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>>> killed a great many philosophers.
>>> ~ Denis Diderot

DL

Re: 3rd Party Firewall