Firewall blocks all internet access

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Johannes

Firewall blocks all internet access
Im running Vista Business plus SP1.

When I turn the windows firewall on, all my access to the internet (eg. email and IE) is blocked. How can this be fixed
or how can I allow these programs to communicate through the firewall?

Many thanks,

Johannes van Vuren,
Cambridge, UK

Malke

Re: Firewall blocks all internet access
Johannes wrote:

> Im running Vista Business plus SP1.
>
> When I turn the windows firewall on, all my access to the internet (eg.
> email and IE) is blocked. How can this be fixed or how can I allow these
> programs to communicate through the firewall?

You forgot to tell us what other security software you're running. As a
guess, I'd say that you have some security suite like McAfee, Norton, or
even TrendMicro that has its own firewall component and when you turn on
the Windows Firewall, you've now got two firewalls running. Which doesn't
work well.

You also forgot to tell us how you connect to the Internet and that might be
germane to the problem.

Help us help you:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Johannes

Re: Firewall blocks all internet access
Sorry for the paucity of the info.

I connect to the internet via cable modem, no router.

I have Norton Anti Virus installed. It has an incoming firewall component.

Hope this helps,

Johannes.

Johannes wrote:

> Sorry for the paucity of the info.
>
> I connect to the internet via cable modem, no router.
>
> I have Norton Anti Virus installed. It has an incoming firewall component.

Since NAV has its own firewall component, it disables the built-in Windows
Firewall. This is by design and why you don't want to turn on the Windows
Firewall.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Beoweolf

Re: Firewall blocks all internet access
Everything mentioned so far is adequate, however, to address your original
question - if you want to use windows firewall you can address the blocked
port by checking the exceptions tab. Exceptions are listed in native
language so you will not be concerned about port numbers. Just click those
programs you wish to allow to communicate through the FW.