Can't D/L images to desired folders

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

notageek

Can't D/L images to desired folders

I'm the only user, and I've changed the permissions on the desired
folders for my user account (not hidden administrator account) to allow
*Full control* (including Write). I checked the main folder and all
sub-folders where I want to download, and all have the permissions. Yet
when I try to D/L an image, I still get the "You don't have permission
to save to this folder. Do you want to save to the Pictures folder?"
When I choose Yes, I get the even stupider "For security reasons the
file was saved to the Temporary Internet folder." [my
recollection of these messages]

Now what do I do? I'm using Ancestry.com to D/L census images that I
want to look at offline. I only have a month before my paid subscription
is up, and I'm wasting time having to try to remember which folder
various images go into when I have to move them from the Temporary
Internet folder.

TIA for any help.

Vista Home Premium x64 ; 4GB RAM; 2.2 MHz processor

--
notageek
Tom Allen

Re: Can't D/L images to desired folders

"notageek" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm the only user, and I've changed the permissions on the desired
> folders for my user account (not hidden administrator account) to
> allow
> *Full control* (including Write). I checked the main folder and all
> sub-folders where I want to download, and all have the permissions.
> Yet
> when I try to D/L an image, I still get the "You don't have permission
> to save to this folder. Do you want to save to the Pictures folder?"
> When I choose Yes, I get the even stupider "For security reasons the
> file was saved to the Temporary Internet folder." [my
> recollection of these messages]
>
> Now what do I do? I'm using Ancestry.com to D/L census images that I
> want to look at offline. I only have a month before my paid
> subscription
> is up, and I'm wasting time having to try to remember which folder
> various images go into when I have to move them from the Temporary
> Internet folder.
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> Vista Home Premium x64 ; 4GB RAM; 2.2 MHz processor
>

> --
> notageek

My wife had the same problem with Ancestry downloads and the temporary
folder. The file was available there but its a pain to get to it. We
made Ancestry a trusted site to ease the security restriction and now
get a 'save to' dialogue. Actually she works on her own PC but all the
genealogical stuff is on mine and it is saved over the network ( it
suits our backup routines ).

Tom

notageek

Re: Can't D/L images to desired folders

That didn't work for me, Tom. The message is Vista's way of "protecting
me from myself." I've been using computers for years, and I resent the
hassle I've had with this new computer. I bought it only because my 11yo
XP Home machine had been failing for a year. Luckily it lasted til I got
my tax incentive from the govt. so I could afford a new, cheap machine.
If I had had the money, I would have had one built so I could have XP on
it. I just found out a week ago that my scanner isn't supported. (I only
use it occasionally so now I'll just have to do without.)

One of the things I resent, too, is that I have to go through so many
"Are you sure?" dialog boxes just to do the simplest things on this
computer.

Thanks for the help from a fellow genealogy researcher.

notageek

P.S. I had an HP Pavilion before and bought another one after watching
ads for a year til I found one I could afford. Then I found out there's
no tech support (except maybe by email), no disks (for example, the HP
Help tells me to see the manual for my monitor, but there is no manual
for the monitor--only basic PDF manuals for the computer)....

--
notageek
Peter Foldes

Re: Can't D/L images to desired folders
To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

--
Peter

> That didn't work for me, Tom. The message is Vista's way of
> "protecting
> me from myself." I've been using computers for years, and I resent the
> hassle I've had with this new computer. I bought it only because my
> 11yo
> XP Home machine had been failing for a year. Luckily it lasted til I
> got
> my tax incentive from the govt. so I could afford a new, cheap
> machine.
> If I had had the money, I would have had one built so I could have XP
> on
> it. I just found out a week ago that my scanner isn't supported. (I
> only
> use it occasionally so now I'll just have to do without.)
>
> One of the things I resent, too, is that I have to go through so many
> "Are you sure?" dialog boxes just to do the simplest things on this
> computer.
>
> Thanks for the help from a fellow genealogy researcher.
>
> notageek
>
> P.S. I had an HP Pavilion before and bought another one after watching
> ads for a year til I found one I could afford. Then I found out
> there's
> no tech support (except maybe by email), no disks (for example, the HP
> Help tells me to see the manual for my monitor, but there is no manual
> for the monitor--only basic PDF manuals for the computer)....
>

> --
> notageek

Sorry to hear it, perhaps combining Peter F's advice and trusting
Ancestry might get you there.
BTW, to me what is seen as 'are you sure' is usually best interpreted
as 'is that really you'. 'If you started this' could have better been
expressed as 'if it was you that started this' meaning not something
nasty trying it.

My wife is the researcher, I provide the computing infrastructure :-)

Regards
Tom

notageek

Re: Can't D/L images to desired folders

Thank you for the suggestions, Peter, but they didn't work either. I
took ownership of the main folder I wanted and checked to make sure all
the sub-folders also had me as owner. To be doubly sure, I even manually
changed the ownership to two of the folders I wanted to paste .JPGs to.
Still didn't work. Then I took ownership of C:\ and all sub-folders.
Still didn't work.

Then I tried again to start a live chat with HP Support. Two tries last
night (5 minutes wait each) and one Friday (13 minutes wait each) didn't
work. I then emailed HP Support at 6:52PM and got a message that they
usually reply in an hour. I know yesterday was probably pretty busy for
them but it's now 2:30 PM my time and still no reply.

I suspected that was going to happen and I've wasted too many hours in
the last week trying to figure this out (3-4 hours yesterday alone). So
last night I disabled UAC, and now I can do my research again.

Thanks again, Peter. Maybe it will help someone else.

--
notageek