IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

timb

IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to date
with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...

An example can be found here:
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes

I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...

Uninstalled all versions of Java
Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults (made
sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
Rebooted
Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer (with AV
disabled and run as administrator)

NOW...

Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER (not
admin) on this same computer
Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin) user
on this computer

CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA or
JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!

If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
32-bit Ultimate SP1

David Sherman

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
Works fine on my Vista machine.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:58:15 -0400, "timb" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to date
>with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
>trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...
>
>An example can be found here:
>http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes
>
>I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
>
>Uninstalled all versions of Java
>Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
>Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults (made
>sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
>Rebooted
>Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer (with AV
>disabled and run as administrator)
>
>NOW...
>
>Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
>Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER (not
>admin) on this same computer
>Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin) user
>on this computer
>
>CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA or
>JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
>
>If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
>goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
>32-bit Ultimate SP1

Spirit

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
IE - Tools - Manage Add-on - Enable those that say Java

"timb" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uddIPGWCJHA.4884@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to date
> with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
> trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...
>
> An example can be found here:
> http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes
>
> I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
>
> Uninstalled all versions of Java
> Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
> Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults (made
> sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
> Rebooted
> Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer (with AV
> disabled and run as administrator)
>
> NOW...
>
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER (not
> admin) on this same computer
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin) user
> on this computer
>
> CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA or
> JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
>
> If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
> goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
> 32-bit Ultimate SP1

timb

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
Done all that... something's wrong in UAC !

"Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote in message
IE - Tools - Manage Add-on - Enable those that say Java

"timb" <mtguy26505@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to
> date
> with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
> trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...
>
> An example can be found here:
> http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes
>
> I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
>
> Uninstalled all versions of Java
> Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
> Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults
> (made
> sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
> Rebooted
> Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer (with
> AV
> disabled and run as administrator)
>
> NOW...
>
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER (not
> admin) on this same computer
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin)
> user
> on this computer
>
> CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA or
> JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
>
> If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
> goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
> 32-bit Ultimate SP1

Diblo

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot

Stupid question
Have you try to install the java from the user account (not admin)

The install from other programs have still some problem whit the new
UAC and user account system.

But sry for asking if you have try.

--
Diblo
timb

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
No, never tried it... I didn't think you could install plug-ins or programs
from a user account... well... you can, but what happens is that UAC will
ask for the administrators permission... interesting concept... for now on
my machine... UAC is toast !

"Diblo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Stupid question
> Have you try to install the java from the user account (not admin)
>
> The install from other programs have still some problem whit the new
> UAC and user account system.
>
> But sry for asking if you have try.
>

> --
> Diblo

davidbaldwin

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot

timb;822837 Wrote:
> OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to
> date
> with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
> trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...
>
> An example can be found here:
> 'NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Pittsburgh, PA'
> (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes)
>
> I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
>
> Uninstalled all versions of Java
> Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
> Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults
> (made
> sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
> Rebooted
> Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer
> (with AV
> disabled and run as administrator)
>
> NOW...
>
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER
> (not
> admin) on this same computer
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin)
> user
> on this computer
>
> CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA
> or
> JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
>
> If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
> goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
> 32-bit Ultimate SP1

I have searched far and wide for a problem similar to mine and this is
exactly it. Same in every way. We are now at IE7 and Java JRE 6 Update
11. If UAC is off, both (admin) user accounts on my machine have similar
java add-ons and both display java applets correctly. However if UAC is
on, the "add-ons" in my IE7 change (less sun java add-ons, i.e. 2
instead of 5) and even the .dll files associated with those add-ons are
different! How is it that UAC on or off can manipulate what add-ons and
what .dll s are in effect? True, if UAC is on, I'm getting prompted in
both accounts because Java SE Runtime 6 updt 11 needs my permission to
continue when opening IE. THis also seems new. I don't know why this has
just started for me. The only thing I did last was load up Blackberry
software. Also, some updates may have been applied automatically. I was
flashed recently with a lot of UAC "permission to continue" prompts,
regarding java and Google Toolbar. Someone suggested Norton Pop-Up
Blocker was at fault, but even though I have Norton 360 it doesn't have
a pop-up blocker. I'm stumped, but if I leave UAC off, it's fine. I'm
not sure that's the perfect solution. Obviously something is screwed up.
I had a previous issue as well where my IE behaved differently that the
other user account IE, so it's obvious that they have user-specific
behaviour, but that just sorted itself out over time, almost by
accident. Perhaps there's some update coming to fix this as well. Seems
pretty rare though.

--
davidbaldwin
Mark H

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
This might help clarify the situation:

In a nutshell:
When UAC is disabled, IE7 cannot run in protected mode which then allows the
Java to run.

(http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...y=11101111&loo
p=yes)

> > I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
> >
> > Uninstalled all versions of Java
> > Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
> > Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults
> > (made
> > sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
> > Rebooted
> > Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer
> > (with AV
> > disabled and run as administrator)
> >
> > NOW...
> >
> > Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
> > Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER
> > (not
> > admin) on this same computer
> > Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin)
> > user
> > on this computer
> >
> > CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA
> > or
> > JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
> >
> > If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
> > goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
> > 32-bit Ultimate SP1

> I have searched far and wide for a problem similar to mine and this is
> exactly it. Same in every way. We are now at IE7 and Java JRE 6 Update
> 11. If UAC is off, both (admin) user accounts on my machine have similar
> java add-ons and both display java applets correctly. However if UAC is
> on, the "add-ons" in my IE7 change (less sun java add-ons, i.e. 2
> instead of 5) and even the .dll files associated with those add-ons are
> different! How is it that UAC on or off can manipulate what add-ons and
> what .dll s are in effect? True, if UAC is on, I'm getting prompted in
> both accounts because Java SE Runtime 6 updt 11 needs my permission to
> continue when opening IE. THis also seems new. I don't know why this has
> just started for me. The only thing I did last was load up Blackberry
> software. Also, some updates may have been applied automatically. I was
> flashed recently with a lot of UAC "permission to continue" prompts,
> regarding java and Google Toolbar. Someone suggested Norton Pop-Up
> Blocker was at fault, but even though I have Norton 360 it doesn't have
> a pop-up blocker. I'm stumped, but if I leave UAC off, it's fine. I'm
> not sure that's the perfect solution. Obviously something is screwed up.
> I had a previous issue as well where my IE behaved differently that the
> other user account IE, so it's obvious that they have user-specific
> behaviour, but that just sorted itself out over time, almost by
> accident. Perhaps there's some update coming to fix this as well. Seems
> pretty rare though.
>

> --
> davidbaldwin

wb

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot
that clarifies it to some degree, yet not sure how one can get really
granular in allowing certain java apps to run without having to fully turn
off UAC.

after an auto update of java my users cannot run a certain java app now
without turning off UAC for the user. i can see the java app in the terminal
debug window and the problem being perm/access.

so how does one in Vista allow certain apps under this security policy

"Mark H" wrote:

> [...]

> > continue when opening IE. THis also seems new. I don't know why this has
> > just started for me. The only thing I did last was load up Blackberry
> > software. Also, some updates may have been applied automatically. I was
> > flashed recently with a lot of UAC "permission to continue" prompts,
> > regarding java and Google Toolbar. Someone suggested Norton Pop-Up
> > Blocker was at fault, but even though I have Norton 360 it doesn't have
> > a pop-up blocker. I'm stumped, but if I leave UAC off, it's fine. I'm
> > not sure that's the perfect solution. Obviously something is screwed up.
> > I had a previous issue as well where my IE behaved differently that the
> > other user account IE, so it's obvious that they have user-specific
> > behaviour, but that just sorted itself out over time, almost by
> > accident. Perhaps there's some update coming to fix this as well. Seems

j23

Re: IE7 - Vista - UAC - Java Snot

I've made some more research and:

After reinstalling (removing and installing again) Java works until I
receive a pop-up from UAC saying

A program needs your permission to continue
Java Runtime Environment 6 update 11 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
„C:\Program Files\Java\\jre6\bin\ssvagent.exe” –old –high

If I choose “continue” Java gets blocked (to unblock must be
reinstalled)
If I choose “cancel” Java works fine.

Getting this pop-up is quite annoying, but if Java™ Plug-in SSV Helper
is turned off in add-ons menu in IE the pop-up is gone.

--
j23