> OK Now Folks... this is the most peculiar situation I've encountered to
> with Visa/IE... Here's what I've done and here's what's going on... I'm
> trying to access NOAA radars with IE7. NOAA radars are Java applets...
> An example can be found here:
> 'NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Pittsburgh, PA'
> (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...111&loo p=yes)
> I updated Java to 1.6U7 and applets have subsequently failed... so I...
> Uninstalled all versions of Java
> Deleted the Java folder under Program Files
> Reset ALL of IE7 to defaults... inlcuding the master reset to defaults
> sure activex controls, jre, etc. we're reenabled)
> Downloaded and installed JRE 1.6U7 using the manual java installer
> (with AV
> disabled and run as administrator)
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in FireFox for ALL USERS
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) work fine in IE7 in ANOTHER USER
> admin) on this same computer
> Java applets (including NOAA radars) DO NOT WORK in IE7 for MY (admin)
> on this computer
> CONCLUSION... there is something "user specific" in either IE or VISTA
> JAVA that's blocking this funtionality... If I only knew what !!!!!
> If I turn of User Account Control (UAC)... the problem
> goes away... Where's the bug ?? Security Policy perhaps ? I'm running
> 32-bit Ultimate SP1
I have searched far and wide for a problem similar to mine and this is
exactly it. Same in every way. We are now at IE7 and Java JRE 6 Update
11. If UAC is off, both (admin) user accounts on my machine have similar
java add-ons and both display java applets correctly. However if UAC is
on, the "add-ons" in my IE7 change (less sun java add-ons, i.e. 2
instead of 5) and even the .dll files associated with those add-ons are
different! How is it that UAC on or off can manipulate what add-ons and
what .dll s are in effect? True, if UAC is on, I'm getting prompted in
both accounts because Java SE Runtime 6 updt 11 needs my permission to
continue when opening IE. THis also seems new. I don't know why this has
just started for me. The only thing I did last was load up Blackberry
software. Also, some updates may have been applied automatically. I was
flashed recently with a lot of UAC "permission to continue" prompts,
regarding java and Google Toolbar. Someone suggested Norton Pop-Up
Blocker was at fault, but even though I have Norton 360 it doesn't have
a pop-up blocker. I'm stumped, but if I leave UAC off, it's fine. I'm
not sure that's the perfect solution. Obviously something is screwed up.
I had a previous issue as well where my IE behaved differently that the
other user account IE, so it's obvious that they have user-specific
behaviour, but that just sorted itself out over time, almost by
accident. Perhaps there's some update coming to fix this as well. Seems
pretty rare though.