Norton Anti virus 2008

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tim

Norton Anti virus 2008
I keep getting the warning from Norton that it has blocked an intrusion
attempt by "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP". What does this mean and what can I
do to stop it?
Mick Murphy

RE: Norton Anti virus 2008
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/att...gs/s20409.html

Above is Symantec's answer!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Tim" wrote:

> I keep getting the warning from Norton that it has blocked an intrusion
> attempt by "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP". What does this mean and what can I
> do to stop it?

Nonny

Re: Norton Anti virus 2008
Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/att...gs/s20409.html
>
>Above is Symantec's answer!

below is Gary's advice to you:

>Mick, why not leave the troubleshooting to the experts?
>
>--
>Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Timmy boy

Re: Norton Anti virus 2008
Sorry guys, the Symantec notice is much too complicated for an ordinary
person to understand. Also it does not include a fix from Microsoft for VISTA
users.

"Nonny" wrote:

> Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/att...gs/s20409.html
> >
> >Above is Symantec's answer!

> below is Gary's advice to you:
>
> >Mick, why not leave the troubleshooting to the experts?
> >
> >--
> >Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kayman

Re: Norton Anti virus 2008
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:46:00 -0700, Timmy boy wrote:

> Sorry guys, the Symantec notice is much too complicated for an ordinary
> person to understand. Also it does not include a fix from Microsoft for VISTA
> users.

Join the Norton Community forum:
http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis

Alternative:
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund:

Consider utilizing one of these:
Avira AntiVir« Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky« Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/

FYI
Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

and (optional but highly recommendable)

On-demand AV applications.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
Gerald309

Re: Norton Anti virus 2008
This was really strange...
<<<
FYI
Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

The entire community changed email clients - Outlook Express, Hotmail,
Yahoo, etc - several years ago because of the ......

Microsoft JPEG Vulnerability and the Six New Content Security
Requirements
http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...000575q,00.htm
In November 2004, a critical Microsoft security vulnerability
(MS04-028) was discovered which could allow attackers to embed
malicious code inside JPEG image files. Until that time, JPEG image
files were considered immune to attack. To effectively deal with this
vulnerability, security and IT professionals need to incorporate six
new and critical content security requirements into their networks.

....As well there is even a virus in the email header which can
execute just simply by receiving it without even opening the email.
For some reason there is a minority of the Community of computer users
that are hell bent on no security softwares and including even IT
Personel. That's absurd ! Strange, very strange content website -
sounds like one of these ?

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:18:53 -0700 (PDT), Gerald309 wrote:

> This was really strange...

Not really.

> FYI
> Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>>>>>

> The entire community changed email clients - Outlook Express, Hotmail,
> Yahoo, etc - several years ago because of the ......

Outdated

> Microsoft JPEG Vulnerability and the Six New Content Security
> Requirements
> http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,390...000575q,00.htm
> In November 2004, a critical Microsoft security vulnerability
> (MS04-028) was discovered which could allow attackers to embed
> malicious code inside JPEG image files. Until that time, JPEG image
> files were considered immune to attack. To effectively deal with this
> vulnerability, security and IT professionals need to incorporate six
> new and critical content security requirements into their networks.
>
> ....As well there is even a virus in the email header which can
> execute just simply by receiving it without even opening the email.
> For some reason there is a minority of the Community of computer users
> that are hell bent on no security softwares and including even IT
> Personel. That's absurd ! Strange, very strange content website -
> sounds like one of these ?

<snip>
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx
yodo

RE: Norton Anti virus 2008
"Tim" wrote:

> I keep getting the warning from Norton that it has blocked an intrusion
> attempt by "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP". What does this mean and what can I
> do to stop it?

Hi, man.

I've been through the same problem. In fact, i kept getting different
intrusion warnings from norton since i've connected my cablemodem directly on
my pc. That happened on XP and Vista.

The curious thing about it is when my pc was connected on my router, no msgs
appeared.

What i found out (and it appears to be the response so far) is that Norton
disables Windows Firewall by default. So, i went to control panel and enabled
it.

Other thing i did was turninf off everything on Sharing and Discovery menu,
in Network Place. (This screen:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5dcad1033.mspx)

After doing those things, i stopped getting those annoying messages. I hope
you can understand what i did and try it.

Good Luck.