Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ZImmortal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at my dorm to connect to the internet.

Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.

I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do? This is very annoying.

Thanks in advance
Mr. Arnold

Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bcvsj@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at
> my dorm to connect to the internet.
>
> Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected
> but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it
> said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now
> when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query
> policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.
>
> I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do?
> This is very annoying.

If the machine has an IP that starts with 169, then the computer has not
gotten an IP from the DHCP server on the LAN or the machine has lost it. The
IP can be zero too, no IP period. Since it's not using a DHCP IP from a
DHCP server on the LAN, then the machine has no connection to the Internet.
However, the 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the
LAN, but it can't go to the Internet.

You can check for the 169 IP by going to the Command Prompt and entering
IPconfig /all. If the 169 is there or it's zero, then you can try IPconfig
/release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine will get a valid IP from
the DHCP server.

If the it will not release, then you may need to do a TCP/IP Stack reset.
You should do it anyway just on GP.

So, use Google and find out *How to reset TCP/IP on Vista*.

You can also try flushing DNS on Vista too.

Malke

ZImmortal wrote:

> I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at
> my dorm to connect to the internet.
>
> Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected
> but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it
> said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now
> when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query
> policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.
>
> I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do?

You should contact your University's IT Dept. for help. None of us knows how
they set things up.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

ZImmortal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Arnold View Post
"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bcvsj@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at
> my dorm to connect to the internet.
>
> Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected
> but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it
> said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now
> when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query
> policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.
>
> I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do?
> This is very annoying.

If the machine has an IP that starts with 169, then the computer has not
gotten an IP from the DHCP server on the LAN or the machine has lost it. The
IP can be zero too, no IP period. Since it's not using a DHCP IP from a
DHCP server on the LAN, then the machine has no connection to the Internet.
However, the 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the
LAN, but it can't go to the Internet.

You can check for the 169 IP by going to the Command Prompt and entering
IPconfig /all. If the 169 is there or it's zero, then you can try IPconfig
/release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine will get a valid IP from
the DHCP server.

If the it will not release, then you may need to do a TCP/IP Stack reset.
You should do it anyway just on GP.

So, use Google and find out *How to reset TCP/IP on Vista*.

You can also try flushing DNS on Vista too.
There seems to be two things I can do, as instructed here and here.

Which one should I do?

Another important question:
After doing any of these things will I have to manually reinstall something? Like LSPs? If so, how? and from what source?

ZImmortal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me clarify the situation:
This is actually a problem a friend of mine is having.
It seems like previously in order to connect to the internet in their dorm, they used two connections together (if that makes sense). There was one connection called VPN that required a user name and password, and after entering the user name and pass, the computer would connect to the internet with a wireless connection.
Recently the system was modified and the VPN thing was removed so now you connect only with the wireless connection and no longer need the VPN user name and password.
Ever since they did this, this problem started for my friend, but no one else seems to have the problem. Whenever she tries to connect, a window comes up as before, asking for a user name and password (which no longer exists) and when she hits cancel or ok, it loads the page on offline mode and the "diagnose and repair" function gives the message:
Policy provider Windows Firewall: Filter name: Query User

I hope this makes it more clear. Thanks

Last edited by ZImmortal : 06-21-2008 at 19:06.

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bdb46@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Let me clarify the situation:
> This is actually a problem a friend of mine is having.
> It seems like previously in order to connect to the internet in their
> dorm, they used two connections together (if that makes sense). There
> was one connection called VPN that required a user name and password,
> and after entering the user name and pass, the computer would connect to
> the internet with a wireless connection.
> Recently the system was modified and the VPN thing was removed so now
> you connect only with the wireless connection and no longer need the VPN
> user name and password.
> Ever since they did this, this problem started for my friend, but no
> one else seems to have the problem. Whenever she tries to connect, a
> window comes up as before, asking for a user name and password (which no
> longer exists) and when she hits cancel or ok, it loads the page on
> offline mode and the "diagnose and repair" function gives the message:
> *Policy provider Windows Firewall: Filter name: Query User
>
> *I hope this makes it more clear. Thanks

Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the XP
admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW UI.

Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like a
brick wall.

It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you can
right-click the line and do what you need to do.

Also look for anything concerning the VPN protocols.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/v..._tunneling.htm

ZImmortal is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Arnold View Post
Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the XP
admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW UI.

Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like a
brick wall.

It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you can
right-click the line and do what you need to do.
I cant find what your talking about!
What's a UI anyway? User Interface? There isn't anything in my control panel called "Advanced Firewall".

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bejk6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Mr. Arnold;879706 Wrote:
>>
>> Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the XP
>> admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW
>> UI.
>>
>> Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like
>> brick wall.
>>
>> It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you
>> can
>> right-click the line and do what you need to do.
>>

> I cant find what your talking about!
> What's a UI anyway? User Interface?

That correct User Interface, screens presented to the user.

> There isn't anything in my control
> panel called "Advanced Firewall".

Sorry, I didn't tell you to go to Admin Tools.

http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/vistasecurity2a.html

aneshr

Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

Hi all,

I have the same problem message. I dont connect to a VPN. There is no
group policy. My pc connects to a wireless router. Internet via wireless
works on my laptop to the same router.
My internet connection on the pc says that it is connects. I disabled
and then enabled alsmost eveything. I even reset the TCP/IP stack -
still no avail.

Also on my firewall settings, I dont see any rules for query user.

Any thoughts

Thanks

--
aneshr
Neo105

Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

Hey guys,

I read this thread on many forums (you have been a busy chap haven't
you, lol), and i had the same problem and SOLVED IT!

You have to check if it is a DNS problem, go ping a IP adres in command
prompt, that worked for me, but when i tried to ping a website like
google (ping www.google.com) it couldn't find it.

I went to opendns.com and followed their instructions for adding a
alternative DNS for my browser, and now my "user query" problem is
fixed!

Let me know if this does work for you as well!

--
Neo105
Neo105's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/neo105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in