norton free trial

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

irenexyz

norton free trial
I deleted the norton free trial without taking up the 30days offer and
installed avg free antivirus on three acer laptops, on one of them it didn't
uninstall properly and in the security centre under malware it states other
software installed if you click on that it shows avg as ok and the words
norton internet security out of date both in spyware and antivirus and I
can't get rid of these words there is no other references to norton anywhere
else. Can anyone help?
--
irene
DL

Re: norton free trial
See Norton site for a removal tool specific for your version

"irenexyz" <irenexyz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted the norton free trial without taking up the 30days offer and
> installed avg free antivirus on three acer laptops, on one of them it
> didn't
> uninstall properly and in the security centre under malware it states
> other
> software installed if you click on that it shows avg as ok and the words
> norton internet security out of date both in spyware and antivirus and I
> can't get rid of these words there is no other references to norton
> anywhere
> else. Can anyone help?
> --
> irene

Malke

Re: norton free trial
irenexyz wrote:

> I deleted the norton free trial without taking up the 30days offer and
> installed avg free antivirus on three acer laptops, on one of them it
> didn't uninstall properly and in the security centre under malware it
> states other software installed if you click on that it shows avg as ok
> and the words norton internet security out of date both in spyware and
> antivirus and I can't get rid of these words there is no other references
> to norton anywhere
> else. Can anyone help?

Use the Norton removal tool as suggested by the other poster.

After you've done that, if Security Center still shows NIS, then do:

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again and reboot your system.

If the above doesn't work, do the following from an elevated cmd prompt:

net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Kayman

Re: norton free trial
On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:13:29 -0700, Malke wrote:

<snip>

> ...if Security Center still shows NIS, then do:
> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
> command:
> winmgmt /salvagerepository
> The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
> the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
> services to shut down. Run the command again and reboot your system.
> If the above doesn't work, do the following from an elevated cmd prompt:
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]

Is this fix specific to Vista only or will it work on WinXP as well?
Malke

Re: norton free trial
Kayman wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:13:29 -0700, Malke wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> ...if Security Center still shows NIS, then do:
>> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
>> command:
>> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>> The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
>> the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
>> services to shut down. Run the command again and reboot your system.
>> If the above doesn't work, do the following from an elevated cmd prompt:
>> net stop winmgmt [enter]
>> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
>> ren repository repository.old [enter]
>> net start winmgmt [enter]
>>

> Is this fix specific to Vista only or will it work on WinXP as well?

A slight different version works in XP. You don't need to run cmd elevated
of course and you don't do the /salvagerepository bit. In XP, just do this
at a command prompt:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 06:20:50 -0700, Malke wrote:

> Kayman wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:13:29 -0700, Malke wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> ...if Security Center still shows NIS, then do:
>>> Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type the following
>>> command:
>>> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>>> The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
>>> the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
>>> services to shut down. Run the command again and reboot your system.
>>> If the above doesn't work, do the following from an elevated cmd prompt:
>>> net stop winmgmt [enter]
>>> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
>>> ren repository repository.old [enter]
>>> net start winmgmt [enter]
>>>

>> Is this fix specific to Vista only or will it work on WinXP as well?

> A slight different version works in XP. You don't need to run cmd elevated
> of course and you don't do the /salvagerepository bit. In XP, just do this
> at a command prompt:
>
> net stop winmgmt [enter]
> cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
> ren repository repository.old [enter]
> net start winmgmt [enter]

Many thanks
irenexyz

Re: norton free trial
I haven't tried your fix yet as I am a big scaredy, I have had a guy from
symantec remotely accessing the laptop and removing norton references from
the registary but I still have the words in the malware/spyware and antivirus
that I had before, will your fix do it? I am not a complete novice but very
wary about doing more harm than good. Thanks a lot for your input.
--
irene